ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Recovery questions

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 4:13pm

Peter20

Peter20

552 posts

Ok guys
i lost my account a few days ago and it took a while to get it back. That whole time I thought why can't we just have recovery questions? So why can't we? I think we could use some recovery questions on AG. What do you all think?

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 4:33pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

9,430 posts

Speaking of password recovery, I was in a minifreakout when I thought my password changed, when I forgot it was case-sensitive. oopsie!

That would be faster, I guess. You could have a series of questions that you would set by yourself in case you misplace your password. After all the questions are all answered, the server could automatically generate a password for you to enter and change later.

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 4:50pm

Kyouzou

Kyouzou

5,231 posts

This is a great idea, especially for those people who've changed e-mails, or simply forgot all of their info.

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 5:50pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,965 posts

Knight

Yup, good idea. I'll mention it to James, who's working on the user profile page at the moment.

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 5:53pm

mrtim

mrtim

2,907 posts

Good idea, I think though we should have a choice between either sending us to e-mail [like what we have now], or having those secret questions. Either way, it will reset our password.

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 8:04pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,965 posts

Knight

Larry's initial thoughts: wait to see how many people request it as a feature. Frankly we haven't had many support requests from people who can't remember their own Email address.

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 8:22pm

samy

samy

5,043 posts

Larry's initial thoughts: wait to see how many people request it as a feature. Frankly we haven't had many support requests from people who can't remember their own Email address.

Agree and as long as the option have my recovery information sent to my email persists than I don't have a problem with a recovery question.

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 9:41pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,306 posts

In the help section right?
That's not a bad idea.

Posted Oct 15, '10 at 9:45pm

Joe96

Joe96

2,306 posts

Oh wait, now I get it. Like if you forget your password, you can ask for it to send you an e-mail with the password or answer a question.

Posted Oct 16, '10 at 8:59pm

Peter20

Peter20

552 posts

thanks for the support i thought of someting else ok so when we click the forgot password? button, we get 2 options email recovery or recovery questions. if you choose recovery questions you'll get it in 2 mins if you click email recovery it will take untill they get the request then until they send the ermail with the new password i'd say it'd take about a day maby more