ForumsNews and FeedbackAG3 News: Easier Login/Registration Process

22 10924
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

With AG3, we're going to be using a third-party service which will allow users log into Armor Games using other login credentials such as Facebook, Google, Twitter, MyOpenID, and more!

http://iandouglas.com/fai7tha8ahPigh5eereic2tahc5die.png

You'll be able to link any (or all) of those services to your Armor Games account so you can log in using any of those accounts. It's not REQUIRED that you do so -- you can always log in with your existing Armor Games username and password -- but it might make your life easier, especially for users who already have accounts at any of those sites and want an easier way to log in at Armor Games.

If you use this new method to log in, you'll be able to tell us whether you already have an Armor Games account, and then give you the opportunity to log in with your existing account, which ties those bits of information together. If you don't have an account yet, it'll walk you through the registration process.

It's a pretty neat service, and we're looking forward to hearing your thoughts during the beta process.

• 22 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Looking good Ian! =)

Glad you guys are not simply 'stepping up a knotch', but really go the distance with the new AG3!

YAY! =D

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Will this window show up every time you want to login, or is it also like how we have it where we can just login at the top right corner?

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I think this is a good idea, for the people who are too lazy to register and already have an FB, Twitter, Google, etc account so they'll be able to participate in Armor Games.

Also, I agree with Freak's question:

Will this window show up every time you want to login, or is it also like how we have it where we can just login at the top right corner?
samdawghomie
samdawghomie
3,551 posts
Peasant

Huh, Pretty cool. Although I'll probably never use those third party services, it will more than likely make some people's life easier.

Glad you guys are not simply 'stepping up a knotch', but really go the distance with the new AG3!
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Awesome.

I thought the registration process for AG2 was simple enough, but this owns (for lack of a better word).

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Sounds good. I notice you have OpenID suppoprt. Has no use for me though.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Pretty cool, however the problem with this is that linking it to sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc. will provide access to personal information, no?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The window will appear every time you log in, but it's just an "overlay" on the page you're currently on, not an actual pop-up window.

The third-party services *can* allow us to have access to some of your info, but I think we're going to leave much of your private info exactly that (private). I think Larry was talking about grabbing your Email/gender/birthday from services that permit us to see it (only for new registering users though), since those are required as registration fields here at AG, but aside from that, we are NOT planning to grab info like Facebook friends, photos, old tweets, anything like that. We have no use for that information.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

hhm seems good but i have a question: if you login with an external account will you be still able to choose an username different than your facebook name? 'cause i don't think many persons want to use their real name here.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

GetSatisfaction is kinda the same thing as to what Ian is talking about, Gaboloth. What you do first is register your account, and then you can login with any of the above websites. They are linked to your AG account, so if you login with facebook, for instance, then your AG username will show up.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yes, you can still choose your own Armor Games account username. For users that are already registered, nothing needs to change, you can still log in with your existing username/password. But you *can* link your gmail/facebook/etc if you *choose* to, which will let you log in with those credentials as well.

In fact (Larry will correct me), I believe that if you're *already* logged in at Facebook/Gmail, and you just happen to come to Armor Games, it'll auto-login for you, if you've linked your accounts.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

That's a nice way to combine several websites together for simultanious or cummulative use! =)

But are you REALLY sure it would keep the several website apart? I mean... I'm still not sure whether I would want my FaceBook account to be linked to AG... and that would be accomplished when I would log into one or the other? I'm a little confused and worried here... :/

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

How come? The only thing that will be linked is your account name and password. Nothing extra will come to and from either website. And as Ian noted, nothing private will be shown.

SoymasterYos
SoymasterYos
971 posts
Nomad

This is awesome, thank you ags(armorgames staff).

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Oh, ok... I'm just not THAT much of an 'einstein' in such matters... but you've set my mind at ease Freak, thanx! =)

Showing 1-15 of 22