ForumsWEPRCannibalism and Morality

51 8594
crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

Ok guys, i have a question, all opinions welcome and invited.

Is it immoral to be a cannibal? im not talking killing someone to eat them, im saying once they're dead, is there anything wrong with eating them?

And please, no chatspam or posts saying 'cannibalism is gross and descusting and <insert adjective here>' im looking for opinions about morality, not whether it should be done or not.

Crazenird

• 51 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I'm not sure if it really is an enzyme, but it's at least a protein, and it has a normal and a pathogenic conformation. It's only deadly when in pathogenic conformation, healthy people have normal conformation proteins. Eating a healthy person should be no problem but there is always a risk. I don't know if cooking would be enough to denaturate the protein, but eating flesh raw is never a good idea.

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

cooking denatures proteins. that's why we cook things. originally we, like animals (or lesser animals...however u view it)had the ability to easily digest raw flesh. we as a race have evolved by whatever means to digest cooked foods. if you don't cook the flesh you are bound to catch whatever bacteria that person had within them.... if u don't have an immunity built up against said bacteria it'll run rampant through your body till you develop one. i'm not saying you can't eat raw meat and not be ok... (sushi for example...although i got sick the first time i tried it)... but it generally isn't a good idea. cooking things denatures its proteins and kills it..not necessarily b/c of the denatured proteins... maybe the extreme heat ruptured alot of vital cells... anyway u get the idea.

as i've had it described to me... it only takes one bad prion to start the cycle. once denatured it, because of its new shape, will denature the properly functioning ones around it and then there are two that will work bad and do bad... i don't know how fast it works

i don't know if cooking would cure the meat of bad prions or create them. it'd be a fun fact to look up

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Can you give me some specifics on this? Such as what is affected, what diseases you can get besides the obvious (eat someone with AIDS you get AIDS. Orally?)

They're probably talking about prion diseases that can be spread through cannibalism, such as Jakob-Creutzfeldt disease. This in no way makes cannibalism immoral.

The major reason why it should be immoral is because a cannibal would view other people as "food"
notaguitarhero
notaguitarhero
337 posts
Nomad

I cannot believe that after all this time i had not thought of that......

Your welcome.
This in no way makes cannibalism immoral.

Agreed, I was just curious.
But in my own personal regard as stated before, Cannablism won't be a question of Morality if it's a life or death choice. Then it goes down to self-will. You can have the morals of the Wilkersons from Huckleberry Finn, but when it comes down to life or death, you'd be stupid to suffer from the same moral veil they have. (Mark Twain+Cannibalism=epic win) Now am I saying I would eat someone just to go om nom nom on somebody? No.
Now am I saying that if it was a life or death choice of eating someone that I would? Yes. It would have to be forced, but I would do it.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

is the concept of inflicting damage upon oneself within the realm of morals?

i mean if you want to go on the whole exercise tears down muscles so everything inflicts damage on yourself route then go for it... but the line i draw is more like just a set of unconcious mental guidelines that tell me whether something is self destructive or not. running till you die or till u hurl just b/c u want to hurl is self destructive... not running for health ( i just go after the fact and rationalize)

i personally see cannibalism as a means of potential suicide... and therefore immoral to me. if that doesn't sparkle with you then I'm sorry

Showing 46-50 of 51