ForumsWEPRCannibalism and Morality

51 8593
crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

Ok guys, i have a question, all opinions welcome and invited.

Is it immoral to be a cannibal? im not talking killing someone to eat them, im saying once they're dead, is there anything wrong with eating them?

And please, no chatspam or posts saying 'cannibalism is gross and descusting and <insert adjective here>' im looking for opinions about morality, not whether it should be done or not.

Crazenird

• 51 Replies
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Or a better way to put it Cenny: If a = b, and b = c, then a = c.

Always.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I like my reference to Holberg's play better. Erasmus Montanus ftw.

Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

hmmmmmmmmmmm yes wait no hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sometimes? depends on weather the person was kool or not if they were kool they'd let you but if not but really if you crash on a desserted island check for for food first before eatin your dead friend

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

Or a better way to put it Cenny: If a = b, and b = c, then a = c.

Mathematically, yes, but in real life, things (and people) have more then one variable. in maths, the only variable in regards to this context is number, but as Cenere said, definately not true in any other context
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

It's tied to the culture. In some cultures it's immoral not to eat and absorb the spirit of the dead into you to continue living.

Also if your starving you will eat anything.

But overall in western culture it's morally wrong. But is letting the person rot in the earth any better?

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

But is letting the person rot in the earth any better?

Wow, thats a really good point, i hadnt thought of that.....kudos
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

In that case, I don't think it was immoral, and playing a game must have been the most "fair" thing, the most smart thinking thing would be to kill the weakest in the group. Though this happened some decades ago in the 19th century, not so many toxics in their bodies back then.

Why? Eating the weakest = eating the most malnourished, and small, so poor quality and quantity of food. However I suppose he wouldn't be much help otherwise :/
crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

Hey, the thread did get moved to the WEPR section...and got resurrected...kwl

depends on weather the person was kool or not if they were kool they'd let you but if not but really if you crash on a desserted island check for for food first before eatin your dead friend

I think that about 95% of this thread is about life or death situations....of course your not going to eat your dead friend unless your sure there's nothing else to eat
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

You feel it's wrong because you've been taught it's wrong. All taboos are instituted by society which was infinitely influenced by religion. Where did religion get it?

BS. Even many atheists believe 40 year olds should not sleep with 12 year olds. Older men sleeping with girls is just another taboo.

Morality is subjective, therefore murder can be considered a taboo that is not immoral. To call cannibalism moral merely because it is nothing but a taboo is a fallacy.

Who was the first to determine wrong?

Understand that the same can be said for right. Your argument is that right and wrong is subjective, therefor cannibalism must not be immoral. This leads to the idea that "what is not immoral must be moral." Using your logic, that is not the case. If we were to use your logic, morality is simply nonexistent.

Morality is a man made ideology in the same sense right and wrong is man made. If one believes in an idea, the idea itself becomes existent.

If you believe in right and wrong, the idea that right and wrong becomes existent. The same goes for morality. If you believe in unicorns, unicorns become existent. They may not exist in a physical plane, but they exist as an idea.

Basically, your idea is moot because you are assuming morality does not exist.
notaguitarhero
notaguitarhero
337 posts
Nomad

A stone can't fly. My mother can't fly. Thus my mother is a stone.

Ahhh...I loled.
Anyway, I saw this topic and I thought of that one incident where the plane crashed into the side of the mountain. I think it was a ski team or something?
Anyway, beyond that. I think that if it came down a sense of live or die, then it's becomes totally tolerable. However, just seeing a dead body then just going on a om nom nom spree is usually frowned upon.
I finish this post with a quote from Willy Wonka
Everything in this room is edible. Even I am edible. But that my dear children is called cannibalism and is in fact frowned upon in most societies."
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

the only reason you should ever consider it is if you were stranded and dying w/o friends w/ friends who've already died... the dead friend(or person) being the one u'd eat

eating people is bad for you. it gives you diseases... it damages ur brain. i mean permanently damages your brain. its similar to heavy metals that build up in your body... it never goes away... it just builds up and once it reaches a certain level it affects you both physically and mentally.

and with to regard to morals. morals are a personal thing. only you can tell if something is morally sound with your morals.

morally... it is wrong for me

notaguitarhero
notaguitarhero
337 posts
Nomad

eating people is bad for you. it gives you diseases... it damages ur brain. i mean permanently damages your brain. its similar to heavy metals that build up in your body... it never goes away... it just builds up and once it reaches a certain level it affects you both physically and mentally.

Can you give me some specifics on this? Such as what is affected, what diseases you can get besides the obvious (eat someone with AIDS you get AIDS. Orally?)
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

similar to mad cow disease. I think its an enzyme... but something called a prion that's found in neuro tissue causes degenerative non-curable brain disease. they denature and attach to those that work and by that they denature the ones they attach to and the process repeats. eventually you die from it. i don't know how. i just know that when enough of it builds up in your brain it causes problems. u can't decrease the amount in your brain.

u might say... just don't eat the brain matter... u have nerves in your flesh. good luck separating them.

crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

Everything in this room is edible. Even I am edible. But that my dear children is called cannibalism and is in fact frowned upon in most societies

I cannot believe that after all this time i had not thought of that......
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

kuru is one name given to the mentally degenerating disease

Showing 31-45 of 51