ForumsNews and FeedbackAutomatic Comment Deletion

13 4014
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Recent occurrences have lead me to believe that if a certain number of users flag a comment it should be deleted; I understand this could be abused but I would hope that it would generally do more good than harm. I'm not sure if this is technically possible but if a comment was flagged the amount of times it could be hidden from the site but stay persistent on the server so that a mod can determine if it should be completely deleted or not.

• 13 Replies
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Hmm, that's a good idea. Most of the time, I guess. As long as the mods can see who flagged the post it would work great

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I haven't been on AG for the whole day, so I haven't reviewed and therefore rusty, so.... I'm sure that flags will go to the admins AND mods in the future, so the flags will have more say. Ultimately, deciding whether to delete a comment or not should go to the higher ups. We can only suggest that it be deleted. I should find the threads before I comment XD

As long as the mods can see who flagged the post it would work great

The number of users who flagged the post will determine whether or not that will clump up the space wherever the higher ups are looking. Sounds crazy, but if 40 people manage to flag a comment that is substantially outrageous, then...well that's why we have a minimum.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We've already covered this topic. If "enough" users flag something, the mods will see it and act on it. We haven't worked out how many users it will take, but we do know we don't want it to be automatic.

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

I could understand the hiding of a comment, but I think only the user who wrote it, the person whose profile it is on, or a mod should have the power to delete it.

flapjack0101
flapjack0101
2 posts
Nomad

there should be system in play that would alert the mods about comments that need to be reviewed for deletion after the comment was flagged a certain amount

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

flapjack0101 that's exactly what we're building.

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

When I saw this I thought, automatic deletion of a second identical post (death to double or triple post errors that sometimes happen) not that my idea nor this idea are bad, on the contrary...

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Well, the idea is that if one message is written okay and the user just hit 'submit' 5 times, then flag 4 of them but leave the first one alone. The mods will see the duplicates and can delete them.

But if you see spam, harassing behavior, etc., do us all a favor and flag it. The more people flag something, the higher in the queue it will be for the moderators to deal with it.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Is it possible to write a program that wouldn't let you submit a post until it was over seven words? That could cut down substantially on the amount of spam.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

We could, but the way that users can interact with posts, it will sort of police itself.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

In a sense, not all short comments are spam. If Kyouzou's idea was already added, 4-5 of the admins' posts would have been deleted!

lostsage159
lostsage159
61 posts
Nomad

a good number is 10. if 10 people think its bad, then delete it. also, maybe we should be able to rate comments like youtube. you know, thumbs up, thumbs down.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As I've stated before, the system will never auto-delete anything, even if 10,000 users flag it. It will always require a moderator or administrator to manually delete it.

And, lostsage159, if you lurked in this forum a little more, you'd see that we are indeed adding a way to vote up/down other users' comments.

Showing 1-13 of 13