ForumsNews and FeedbackWill AG3 be more forum focused?

15 4354
MrNiceGuy
MrNiceGuy
73 posts
Nomad

I was just reading through some of the forums threads and I started thinking to myself, because the forums seem to be the secondary role to the games on AG, which isn't really a problem, I mean, just look at the name of the site. But I was still wondering whether there's going to be something different or more significant about the forums in AG3.

Any input is welcome.

• 15 Replies
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Forums are TBD (to be decided), which means there hasn't really been anything official about it on AG3. The forums could be the same, it could be different, the threads will still be there, it will be wiped clean, or there will be no forums altogether. That being said, I see a very ominous "community" in Beta that is part of the toolbar. It has no buttons or links, but it's there.

There will be plenty of extra stuff to do while playing games in AG3. This leads me to believe it will be more game-based, which is a good thing. Being able to do more things with the games you play will have a positive domino effect on the overall activity of AG.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

frank is right, a lot of things are TBD all we can real conferm is that there are privesy steting and the have off topic desciptions (hopefull will be changed! LOL) about wizzard of oz. an there are a lot of shiny buttons that don't work plus a game setcion that is a lot like the ones we have in AG2. that is about it.

but we do have the ifno from descutions i don't think they will get ridd of the forums but they might clear them all and start over. an ediet bottun is a probbly, what eingeine they use is unknow but they wanted one that can update faster and works better. the games *will* have achevment that give you AP and they want to make more like that to focuse on the games and the playing of them not as much on the rating and commenting on them (stop some of the spam), though that is iporttant. other that that it is all TBD

logantheking
logantheking
254 posts
Scribe

More forum focus is fine and sounds goo but it is Armorgames.com so I think games will be the main focus. That said, there are some things that could be done to improve the forums.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

If anything, I think AG3 might be LESS forum-based with the new activity streams and game comment streams, and other things we're planning for walkthroughs and so on.

Then again, only a very small percentage of our users actually use the forums on a regular basis NOW: in the past 90 days, we've only had about 3,000 active users in the forums, out of 700,000+ users. That's less than 0.5% of our users.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I hope its not forum focused. Armor games is a GAMING site not a online forum. If you want to socialize go to facebook or something.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

I hope its not forum focused. Armor games is a GAMING site not a online forum. If you want to socialize go to facebook or something.

Armor Game is not a socializing site but in the forums there are a lot of that do. a lot (most) is game based but there is a lot that is not (world, news, politics, and reliogen, the tavern and so on) so it at it's code is a GAMER site but there are still that 3,000 users that do use the forums. (i know that it is a small chunk but still 3,000 is a lot of people! expeshaly for a forum!)
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

If anything, I think AG3 might be LESS forum-based with the new activity streams and game comment streams, and other things we're planning for walkthroughs and so on.

How could we possibly be less forum-based than by deleting them entirely? Forums have never had even a tertiary role in the site.

This is all going to make me sadfaic and leave AG, if all this comes to fruition. The forums are irreplaceable. Most of the interesting (or rather, all of it) stuff here is based on discussions among groups of people. Most of us met our friends on the forums, not by randomly talking via comments.

/plead for forum safety
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Then again, only a very small percentage of our users actually use the forums on a regular basis NOW: in the past 90 days, we've only had about 3,000 active users in the forums, out of 700,000+ users. That's less than 0.5% of our users.

But...

1. The forums aren't recognized easily.
2. There are a lot of ghosts.
3. Even though this is still a gaming site, it doesn't mean that the forums are left out.
4. 3,000 is actually quite a lot to me. (My opinion)
5. It might drive out the regulars of the forums and they might leave.

But for right now, I would probably just want the forums to stay. You said "LESS forum-based", so I'm assuming that there will be the forums, but they are just not much involved along with the new stuff. Right?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Oh don't get me wrong, I love the forums and will fight to keep them. There are no plans to kill the forums from the site completely.

I do agree with vinster132 that the forums would get more traffic if more users knew about them.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

maybe a good "add" or more of a "intro" with text or video/pic about the site on the mai page that talkes bout it and shows all the fetures. this would get people to sign up more and to explore all of the fetures talked about in the "intro", this would explan that there is a forum with all kinds of stuff in it. and about the games, and so on.

i think this would rase both the memeber count and the active forumers count! plus show pople around a little!
IDK just thought it would be usefull.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

i think this would rase both the memeber count and the active forumers count! plus show pople around a little!

One question, what about the spammers storming in the forums? More traffic can cause more chaos though. But we will see about that. There are a lot of things new for us coming from AGv3.
thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

NOW: in the past 90 days, we've only had about 3,000 active users in the forums, out of 700,000+ users. That's less than 0.5% of our users.

Yes, but how many of those 700,00+ play the games? Most of the don't participate in either the games OR the forums. However, this doesn't change the fact that the forums are still a relatively small part of the site, comparatively.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

One question, what about the spammers storming in the forums? More traffic can cause more chaos though. But we will see about that. There are a lot of things new for us coming from AGv3.

well spamming would have to be for the fun of it, because spamming is not going to give you pionts and it will problay lower you REP. so only bad can come from spammingin AG3. but do we realy want the forums to be small, and have not 0.5% users? at some piont we souldn't expect more user and the AG3 hype (not calling it all hype) will (and is) bring more users to the forum and the whole site! but we do have a lot of mods on this site (compared to some i have seen). so that problem most likly will happen at some piont any ways.

Yes, but how many of those 700,00+ play the games?

good piont! realy how many do? *look at Ian* @.@
MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

One question, what about the spammers storming in the forums? More traffic can cause more chaos though.

Meh, we are going to get spammers regardless. Personally I'd rather have to deal with a few more spammers in order to bring some new people into the community. More people means more ideas, more opinions, and more activity. If I have to spend an extra hour per day deleting comments and dealing with argumentative irritants then so be it.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

well spamming would have to be for the fun of it, because spamming is not going to give you pionts and it will problay lower you REP. so only bad can come from spammingin AG3.

Not to mention having "side-effects" from having low reputation. Right?
Like higher delays for posting and not posting at all?
And if this should happen automatically when a post is deleted and not have reputation manually decreased, then there should be little to no problems with more people on the forums.
Showing 1-15 of 15