ForumsNews and FeedbackSpace for chatting?

34 8152
crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

Right now on Armor Games there is no place for just open chatting other then profile pages, and i understand that with hundreds of people online at any given moment, chatrooms could get pretty hard to moderate, but does anyone know if there will be any space for chatting on AG3?

• 34 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I think that AG could have a couple chat rooms and then have people moderate them like some of the normal members if there willing too. Instead of taking these moderators and putting another thing on there list to do. Just keep them here and have a certain group of people just to moderate the chat rooms.

payne2008
payne2008
12 posts
Nomad

Like (Sorry for using another site as an example) OMGpop they have a pop out chat that you click on and you choose from user created chatrooms I think something like that would be really cool

Outstanding
Outstanding
75 posts
Peasant

Also, it doesn't send an actual friend request when you add a friend. It just adds them to your profile and they are on your friends list. They don't even know that you added them.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Also, it doesn't send an actual friend request when you add a friend. It just adds them to your profile and they are on your friends list. They don't even know that you added them.

The team planned to have a friend request system in the future, where both parties have to add each other to be on the friend's list.

Not sure about the chat room thingy.
Outstanding
Outstanding
75 posts
Peasant

Great to hear, Freakenstein. It really bothers me when the other person doesn't even know that you added them.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, our current "friend" setup is going to change into a "follower" setup on AG3. People you mark as "friends" here will become people you "follow" on AG3. You'll have a double-opt-in process to establish a friendship link between you and other users (you initiate a friendship request, they must respond).

v6y answered about the chat room. Dan likes the idea, but Larry and I are a little wary about it simply because of the lack of moderation.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

lack of moderation.

That's why I said you could keep the current moderators here and make another group just for the chat rooms. Something like that. (just an idea)
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

When we last had a chatroom, it was a very scary thing. It would of been easier if we had created the chatroom instead of using Meebo, seeing as mods could not ban anyone in the room itself. So it lead to a whole fiasco of people acting up, not heeding warnings and getting banned on the forums (thus banning them from the chat).

If we get a chatroom where mods can be made/selected and such, then it might work out. Take into account the PM system and even if there were no mods currently in the chat, a PM could be sent out to a mod if something happened. Mod hops on, lays down the law and goes on his/her/its merry way.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

When we last had a chatroom, it was a very scary thing. It would of been easier if we had created the chatroom instead of using Meebo, seeing as mods could not ban anyone in the room itself.

What about the xat chat rooms. If one or all the Administrators were to make it they would be the main owners of it. They could also make other people main owners if they like or make them members, mods, owners, or main owner.

If we get a chatroom where mods can be made/selected and such, then it might work out. Take into account the PM system and even if there were no mods currently in the chat, a PM could be sent out to a mod if something happened. Mod hops on, lays down the law and goes on his/her/its merry way.

I'm sure that would work. I like the xat chat rooms though seeing that you can appoint people to control them. You can just leave a tab open with the chat room though.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

I'd rather have them having full mod-powers rather than just chat only...

I think there are actually enough mods on this site itself.
I just think there should be a separate group of mods for chats.
MrWarlord
MrWarlord
11 posts
Nomad

A chat room sounds really good! But I don't think it should be everyone piled into one chat room though. It should be a 2 or 3 way chat.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

A chat room sounds really good! But I don't think it should be everyone piled into one chat room though. It should be a 2 or 3 way chat.

AIM and MSN does this awesomely.

Also, bah, chatting.
spacedingo
spacedingo
243 posts
Nomad

It would be cool to have a make-one thingie, but it would be better if you could invite people that were only via a invite system. Private chat. Click on someones name twice and you'd be able to chat privately with them.

Outstanding
Outstanding
75 posts
Peasant

So, here is the question. Is it going to be one whole chatroom for all? Or is it going to be where can we can chat with someone on are friends list? Or will it be both?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

its merry way

... it?

It would be pretty cool, but there would be alot of problems:

1) Lack of Moderation (as mentioned previously)

2) Size: A whole bunch of people get on and you expeirence major laggage.

3) Message Save/Delete: If I post something, would it be saved and people could go see it, or would it auto-delete after, say, 25 messages have been reached? If I posted something ban-worthy, and messages auto-delete, I could just spam to cover it up.
Showing 1-15 of 34