The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernHardest Accents?

50 16086
crazenird
crazenird
329 posts
Nomad

This thread is about the world's accents and the hardest to do. I'm Australian, and i have heard TONNES of people fail miserably at our accent, but because i speak with it naturally, i don't know how hard it is to do, so could someone please tell me how hard the Australian accent is to mimic? And any other accents that are very easy/hard to speak in.

For me, when i can't do an accent properly, i for some reason go straight to doing an Indian accent, dunno why. Plu i find the Indian accent the easiest to mimic. The hardest i know of would probably be Swedish, i dont know why, but it's just hard to do.

• 50 Replies
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

It's probably your perception. If you come down here you obviously won't be hearing American-ish jabber. I'm no linguistics expert.

Yeah, plus news anchors are supposed to speak more proper, articulate and be loud and clear, than usual, so that the news can be heard well in a crowded room in the television in a crowded room or what not.
BladeSaint777
BladeSaint777
2 posts
Nomad

I'm from Hicktown, Utah, USA, and I've pretty much mastered standard British, Russian, Scottish, Indian, Canadian, and such. I've never really tried Arab or Hebrew or anything, but the weird thing is that Irish is the hardest **** thing in the world for me, and I can only do German when I'm speaking German. Confusing....

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

For me German is almost impossible

it really depends what german you mean. there ar many different german accents. all german accents are difficult for some people because of the letters öü and r. but even though i speak german it is imposibble for me to use the other german accents.

i think the hardest accents are french, japanese, some german accents, and for some people arabic.

but since i grew up hearing many different languages like russian and arabic i might think some of the are easy while they are pretty difficult
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Old thread is old.

I would have to say, Finnish and Yankee.
Being a Southerner, I just can't say the E's and A's exactly like they do. But I get close. Most other accents I can get down pat if I hear it for 10 minutes or so. I got a 100 in German for faking the accent 8D

KentReid
KentReid
65 posts
Nomad

Texan seems to be difficult for people to grasp. But what about an African-tribesman? But if you mean the most harsh and over-bearing... I'm thinking some Nordic language, Polish for example.

Erico27
Erico27
16 posts
Shepherd

I am really good with accents. I mostly do indian (because it's just fun to say) and I'm good with Russian and Australian. I don't even know what swedish sounds like, and I have a little trouble with chinese. But british and Australian are practically the same, so, I guess Australian isn't that hard.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

I don't even know what swedish sounds like

Neither do I, and I'm from Sweden. Assuming you're speaking of the Swedish accent while speaking English, that is. It really depends on where in Sweden the person is from. People have very different accents all over Sweden. There is no one "Swedish accent". Though, I guess what they all have in common is that they tend to pronounce every letter clearly, sometimes even the silent ones, as that's how we do when speaking Swedish. I personally occasionally mispronounce the "th" sound as a "t" as well.

Once again, I am assuming that this is about the different accents while speaking English, and not the accents while speaking that nation's language.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I'm decent with almost any accent outside the Far East: American (NJ, TX, KY, as well as stereotypical truck driver), Canadian, Jamaican, Mexican, English, Scottish, Irish, Austrian, German, Russian, Sweedish, Transylvanian (at least the dracula stereotype version), Russian, Middle Eastern, Indian, Australian (especially the Steve Irwin version). I'm just bad with the whole Japan, Korean, China, South Asia, Indonesia area.

HOCKEYBOY10
HOCKEYBOY10
158 posts
Nomad

I think that Iceland has the most confusing language on Earth

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

I can attempt most of the ones here but for some reason in about 5 or 10 seconds it turns british. It gets frustrating when you're trying to impress someone.

chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

I think Irish or Scottish would be the hardest. It is funny when there is actors who try to imitate those.

It also surprises me how well non-American people can do American accents.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Like noweigen or romanian.

ShopwornSoul
ShopwornSoul
100 posts
Nomad

Most people with a pronounced accent from anywhere sound hysterical when they try to do "American". It comes out like a weird mixture of stereotypical American Southern twang and Eddie Murphy doing his "white guy" voice.

I can do good Canadian, French and Mexican (not Spanish) accents but that's probably because they are the two I'm exposed to the most and I speak Spanish as well as a little French.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I'd say a thick/deep British accent would be hard to understand. I've met a few people with them. Also, some Spanish accents can be difficult to understand.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

i'm pretty good with russian, british, irish, arab, and scandinavean accents. the accents i can't do for the life of me would have to be canadian, soanish, mexican, and french.

Showing 31-45 of 50