ForumsNews and FeedbackAG3 Calendar: December 27, 2010. Codename: Falchion II

47 10959
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamberge

We're hoping that this coming Monday's beta release will find some stability on the Cassandra database that's affecting several pages on the site.

We should have game ratings ready, and an expanded set of activity stream/comment features.

If the Cassandra database is stable enough, we'll send out invite codes.

• 47 Replies
Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

Cormyn's Link! I figured I'd fix that link for ya Cormyn. Pretty cool sword too.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Sounds good. And flamberge... interesting.

Can't wait until the full site is released, it's looking great so far!

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Um, well, that was fast. I thought that the next one would be near January tenth. Can't wait!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I had a pretty nice, long hiatus from Armorgames, where I only had a couple replies in a week. I *think* it's over, but I'm not certain. I've made sure to beta test at least an hour a day, despite my relaxation time before Spring semester starts. Hooray, an extra release! I'll be sure...to get back to...the...*snore*

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Oh no I don't think I'll be able to test in that period... C'mon everyone has something to do after Christmas...

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I had a pretty nice, long hiatus from Armorgames, where I only had a couple replies in a week.

Lol, if that's long you should take a six month hiatus!

The sword names are interesting. I'll be eagerly awaiting the next release.
kacboy
kacboy
1,846 posts
Nomad

Awesome, and that's so close! And after Christmas! Holy crap Christmas is in 4 days! Merry Christmas people.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Lol, if that's long you should take a six month hiatus!

And then the three-month hiatus to Alaska and people were like "Werez Frank?" with a sadface? I seriously did forget half the people while on the trip.

C'mon everyone has something to do after Christmas...

Yeah, I get to relax. And eat fruitcake. And play Mario Kart. With no school. I'm totally busy! (poking fun)

I thought that the next one would be near January tenth

Well there are quite a few people that want in that couldn't last week so...But you can't blame the activity stream--tis just a baby.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

But you can't blame the activity stream--tis just a baby.
lol

man, this is waaay closer than i thought it would be... i didn't think for a single moment, about the new beta release. i expected it would be a lot father away than the 27th.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, we'd debated doing the release after the holidays, but hey, we're working hard on this stuff for you guys.

Keep in mind, it's a beta, things will break (as you've all found in the past week or so), not everything is implemented, that sort of stuff.

The usual caveats apply with regards to times of day we'll be doing things, etc.:

The standard times apply, and are all in Pacific Standard Time, which is where Los Angeles, California is. To convert it, you can visit this time zone site.

Around 9am, I'll be marking all NEW beta registrations to receive their invite codes later in the day. Any beta registrations that come in after 9am will have to wait for our next release in January (probably January 10th).

We'll be doing lots of internal testing before we roll out any code to the live beta site, and as usual, I will post our progress on my twitter feed.

In the afternoon, when we feel the code base is tested enough, we'll send our next beta newsletter to ALL beta users. This newsletter will explain more about what we've been working on, what's in the new release, that sort of thing.

People who have signed up to help with beta testing after 9am on November 22nd will receive a SECOND Email with their invite code, and will explain what we need from you as beta testers.

Let me repeat myself: beta invite codes will be sent in a SECOND message. Please stop asking why you couldn't find your invite code in the newsletter.

It's important to note up front that several things will seem "missing" from the site, such as the forums, etc. This is to be expected, because we're rolling out the beta in phases where we add new features every two weeks or so.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Umh cormyn I have a question will all the game data such as awards achievements upgrades be migrated to AG3? because I read the new that was about game save migration, but I noticed it only refers to games like exit path where you can login and save stuff with your account.

Yeah, I get to relax. And eat fruitcake. And play Mario Kart. With no school. I'm totally busy! (poking fun)

this is exactly what I was meaning XD
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Any games that use our online 'game save' feature will continue to work once we get the maintenance finished. Other games that use "local flash storage" will retain all of your progress, etc., for as long as you maintain your own local flash storage. Nothing in that regard should change.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

But if they use a local storage why if I play the same game on another site I have to restart everything over? (probably a silly question)

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

The local shared objects (.SOL files) which possess a game's save file data can't be carried over between sites. It's something problematic with Flash itself, that is solved by the AGI. Each website you visit that utilizes "local storage" has its own specific location where files are located.

Let's use some images.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8407/storage.png

Here's the folder on my computer where all the LSOs are stored. Note that each site has its own subfolder.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1188/storage2.png

Here you can see the partial contents of two folders.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,613 posts
Peasant

Oh I understand and I think AG3's name will be armorgames.com (why it should change? Lol) so it will look in the same folder where AG2 is storing stuff.

Showing 1-15 of 47