ForumsNews and Feedback[suggestion] Articles

16 6842
bacobit
bacobit
1,671 posts
Nomad

I've looked on Many-a-Websites, amd I've that they have something that ag dosen't, Articles.

Now you might think article might be a thread with a really long Op, but I think they could help. Clean up Sticky thread Clutter, provide useful knowledge to the users, provided that it's a well made article. Maybe even put in a rating system.

That's my Idea, whadya think?

• 16 Replies
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

Well we do have the AG blog that seems to cover that well. But I don't now howw that would even work...

But we have not even started on the forums on beta so makeing that would be put some where in that pot, so it would not be desited untill. a lot latter in the Ag3 prosesess... so it would depend on the type of forum engeine they use and so on. But I think the blog does all that it is just a matter of trasfering it and updateing it (not to hard)

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Bacobit, what sort of "articles" would you be interested in seeing?

falleiz
falleiz
32 posts
Nomad

Nice idea, but doesn't the blog cover some of that?

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I know this is Bacobit's thread and all, but the article idea really interests me. What I would love to see is, if we combine this with +/- comments, to have an article based off the latest game with a featured review of said game that had the most likes. The users can decide whether they like the game or not from that, and the developer can look there for some helpful information regarding their game.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Maybe articles on certain things, how-tos and FAQs etc and all that

Again, way too vague. Give me specific examples.
KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

I think they mean any thing and every thing that give good info (lol XD) AS IN:
The kind stuff on the help section
Or "how to sumit games" or " why some games might not work for you (update adobe or get it)" or " why john picked blue for the color of an elephant and his talk about develpoing and color blindness" (I am too!lol) or such kinds of things.

And basic FAQs like:

Q: how do I rate a game?
A: good to the game you want to rate and scroll down to the comments box, above that should be a bar with numbers and the rating of the game. The red line is what every one else rated it. Move our mouse over the bottom (black) part of the bar and a green bar should show up clik the amout you want to rate it( 1-10) ant the green bar will stay there and one should get 2 Ap now you have rated a game!

Q: why is larry roots metel in his leg not magnetic?
A: it is most likely a titanim alloid, and most alloids are not magnetic. Think of this but he in an MRI ( magnetic resonance imaging) chamber that is commanly abou 10,000 times the eathers magnetic field( I think could be more) then make his leg a magnetic metal.... ouch he would go flaying in to the big magnit part of it and would be a stane on the wall ( uhg bad mentle image there!).

(Lol) or some thing like those as for what exacly what to make that is some thing to post in the news and ask the users on a topic in the sugestions forum...

But I like the idea but as I said before and others have also I think the forum covers that...

kacboy
kacboy
1,846 posts
Nomad

That would be nice, put good forum OPs in some blog-like page.

bacobit
bacobit
1,671 posts
Nomad

Sorry haven't been on in a while....

Nice idea, but doesn't the blog cover some of that?

I'm talkin' about User-created articles.

Now I know Articles probably will be spam to pieces, but perhaps you'd have to have certain number of posts to make an Article, 500 maybe? Also plagiarism would be problem too....
Yorgi
Yorgi
24 posts
Nomad

[quote]Now I know Articles probably will be spam to pieces, but perhaps you'd have to have certain number of posts to make an Article, 500 maybe? Also plagiarism would be problem too....

I don't think that'd be a solution. I do think that spammers should be banned faster.

Gr, Yorgi

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yorgi, make sure you write your reply outside of the 'quote' markers, it's hard to read where the original quote ends and your reply begins.

Writing "articles" like help screens, will be handled by internal staff who understand everything about how the web site works. We don't want 500 posts about how to change your armatar, or 1000 posts on how to rate a game. Only one is needed.

Besides, a high percentage of our users don't even read the help articles we have *already*, and still ask FAQ's in the support forum. We're hoping that we can work around it by doing some contextual searching on a question they submit to see if we can answer their question in a semi-automated manner, similar to a knowledgebase.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Or even before they finish posting a topic, like GetSatisfaction does, where it gives you some topics to check out before you submit? I think that would help too--it just needs to be more detailed than GS, because it only gives you a couple threads. A user asking how to change their privacy settings would make that bubble pop up saying "check this out before you post!" and it would have the help page and FAQ's thread labeled.

bacobit
bacobit
1,671 posts
Nomad

To perhaps cut down spam even more a Mod would have to approve of certain user creating an article, have like an Article Approval form with this kind of layout

(Name of User)
(Title of Article)
(Brief description of Article, no more than 100 Characters)

That way, the same old articles wouldn't be submitted, and by the description, the mod would be able to see if Grammar wasn't like "and dats why you shod,t eat batrey asid"

bacobit
bacobit
1,671 posts
Nomad

Besides, a high percentage of our users don't even read the help articles we have *already*,

Maybe if they were in the forums, they'd get viewed more, like have they're own section and such.
kjdeboer
kjdeboer
11 posts
Nomad

I don't think it's necessary, but it might be a help for some users, and I mean only a couple of users, because the rest of the users will find out themself, and I don't think there is that much to explain, because everything leads itself.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

It is not realy needed for users to sumit them. And the live mod thing (gotta find a name for it... AM? Ask-a-Mod? At 2 am?lol) will cover all that.

Is it that you guys want a "contest" or competion or somehting with user sumiter stuff that does not take programming (try it it is not that hard, ok it is but you can learn!lol!). How about GAME REVIEWS (not yelling just making it notitsable) they help the programmer learn and mae better games! One thing I have learn in the game programming communitty is that critisism help you to grow (but don't be mean)! And we programmers can (or well should be able) to take it and learn from it!

But we can make it so that people can rate and maybe even comment on game reviews and see who does the best at it. And maybe if you get a good rating you can get an acevmant and some rep or if you get"so many" good ratings an achevment! (Gotta figure a better name for the achevments more cetchy and short... armorment? With sear-ya-ment lol? Or armment? Or arachev? Idk).

Showing 1-15 of 16