ForumsPopular MediaSo Last Night, I was Watching Mean Girls...

22 7856
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

...which is really how all my good stories start.

But anyway, this thread is the spiritual successor to the last thread I made. Actually, someone else made it and I jacked it, but tomato tomato. I would link to it here, but it seems to have been eaten by a forum glitch. At least I assume that's what it was, because it was CLEARLY not violating any forum rules. But I digress. Back to the story.

Like I said, I was watching Mean Girls, but in honor of Lidsay Lohan's recent adventures, I decided to wear my lesbian subtext goggles. This awesome mental filter allows you to read between the lines and see those lilac prose that tell us all Toadette has a thing for Princess Peach. My goggles are probably more well trained than is healthy. Anyway: Janis is presented as bisexual, having a crush on Regina and kissing Kevin G from Mathletes, but that's not really important. The theory I had was that there was another lesbian: None other than Regina George.

"But Xzeno, Regina is shown hooking up with dudes! How's your little theory lookin' now?" you say. This is a good point. However, one must note that Regina directs all of her emotional energy towards girls. She uses males as a method of affecting the girls in her life. She goes out with Aaron for Cady. She has no emotional investment in Aaron himself -- she cheats on him and is not fazed when he breaks up with her. She only uses him to maintain her status among her female peers or to specifically affect certain girls. Boys are devices with which to reach out to girls to her. She doesn't date them for them, or as a means to their own end. She does it for the girls in her life.

But why? First, let's examine the most central relationship: Cady and Regina. Right off the bat, their relationship is given a sexual component. Regina first speaks to Cady because Jason is harassing her with sexually themed questions. Regina calls him out on this, and engages Cady in conversation as he leaves. She immediately displays an interest in Cady, even inviting her to join her table. But why? Why Cady? "Why don't I know you?" she asks, a little to happily. At first, this seems to be her reason for speaking to her: TO maintain control, she has to know everyone of import. But she continues to hang out with and befriend Cady. Regina treats her in a way she describes as "sweet", until she begins picking on her. At first her cruelty seems to be motivated by little other than moving the plot along and petty sadism. However, one must take notice of how Regina first mistreats Cady: She gets back together with Aaron. Cady likes Aaron. When Regina discovers this, she moves to prevent any potential relationship between the two. Regina isn't trying to hurt Cady, she just can't stand to see her with a boyfriend. If Cady had a boyfriend, she would focus her time, energy and most important affections on him instead of Regina. Regina couldn't deal with that. Notice how genuinely hurt she is by Cady's personal attacks against her. In essence, Regina takes immediate interest in and subsequently torments Cady not out of hatred, but out of infatuation.

"But wait, Regina openly disses lesbians. What now, Xzeno?" Regina answered this question herself: You can't have a lesbian at an all-girl pool party. You see, Regina is a repressed lesbian. She knows that being a lesbian would cause her to be ostracized by the very females of whom she so desperately craves the attentions. Rather than being in "boys are icky" stage of life, Regina is stuck in the "lesbians are icky" stage of life. She picks on girls (including Cady, but more generally here) because she doesn't know how else to get their attention. She's like the little girl on the playground pulling Sigmund's hair. She doesn't know how else to deal with her feelings because she's been taught that they're wrong. But she still needs to try to forge more meaningful emotional connections to females. She just doesn't know how to -- or even that she can -- do it healthily.

Even Regina's "burn book" hints at this. The book, which is pink and covered in lipstick kisses, contains pictures of girls with associated insults. In her own private book, Regina's abuse can't be motivated by a need to reach out to the girls, because they can't read it. She says negative things because she's too repressed to express her feelings in a positive way, even to herself. Note, however, that the book fixates on the sexual nature of the girls she's insulting, calling them all sorts of things I'm not going to repeat here, like skank and *****.

Regina at first seems to be a mean girl, motivated by... well, that's never adequately explained. However, this examination throws her in a more sympathetic light: A victim of circumstance and society's cruel rules as much as she is a leader and creator of these selfsame rules. Regina doesn't need to be knocked down a peg, dethroned or pushed in front of a bus. She just needs someone to love her and understand her.

Oh God, someone stop me. I'm starting to actually believe some of this stuff.

• 22 Replies
ITheNormalPerson
ITheNormalPerson
731 posts
Nomad

One question... Why did you have to post this here? Just wondering.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

One question... Why did you have to post this here? Just wondering.
This is a complex question. Seriously. I was considering making a thread about it. Seriously. But I'll try answer it to some degree.

All media is, at its core, connected. It's written by humans, about humans, for humans. That's what it's all really about: Humanity. We're driven to read, write, watch and create not because each story is so unique and different, but because stories are the things that make us all the same. Some strike us more than others.

Why Mean Girls for me? Hard to say. It has special meaning to me, sure. In real life, I'm basically Cady, which is what drove me to watch it again last night. Why lesbianism? My reasons are my own. Why Regina? Not sure, exactly. Perhaps it was just that it was easiest to see (imagine?) the lesbian subtext with Regina. Maybe it's that she reminds me of a character in The American Dreamer, a NaNoWriMo novel project I really ought to get back to. You could say that Regina couldn't possibly be related to a charter in something I made up, but she can. Like I said, it's all interconnected. The similarities are there in any piece of writing or movie or show. Like I said, it's all the same: The story of humanity, of love, of death and of self-discovery and inner strength. From Mozart to Mean Girls to Paradise Lost to The Loner, it's all aspects of the same thing: The greatest story ever told.

Like the flashing-eyed poet in Coleridge's Kubla Khan, inspiration affects us all sometimes. The romantic, almost divine drive of inspiration possesses us all from time to time. Sometimes we wake up in the morning with the need to pen an epic poem, spanning cosmic events like the travels of Aeneas or the fall of man in the Garden of Eden, and sometimes we just need to write a tongue-in-cheek analysis of Mean Girls.

So, uh, yeah.

DoubleRainbowGuy brings up a hilarious point! I can't believe I didn't think of that! I don't think we even have to say she joined because she knows about the stereotypes on a conscious level. We can just straight-up stereotype and say she joined because she fits in with the stereotype. However, I like the idea of her being motivated by a feeling of belonging.
ITheNormalPerson
ITheNormalPerson
731 posts
Nomad

ok, by my comment, I was just wondering the uses of posting it here, seems like you were randomly quoting a movie line, but yeah, that might explain it, lol.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I was waiting for the thread for this to appear. YESSSSSSSS

. . . anyway, I think that your analysis here is really profound and important on multiple levels. Humanity is as a whole extremely sexual; rules of society, however, often repress that and the energy has to go somewhere (usually a hand). In making sure not to forget the important underlying sexual component in this movie - it IS high school after all - is not only a commentary on this movie, I think, but a commentary on humanity as a whole. Genius.

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

I think this is a waste of space and time if you read it.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

I think if you read it you would take that back. It's pretty funny.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I think this is a waste of space and time if you read it.
I think this is flaming if you read it.

I think if you read it you would take that back. It's pretty funny.
You mean take back the comment on the end? Thanks for the advice.

Whatever Alt said.
Alt brings up another good point. The theme of sexuality in Mean Girls is not only present in Regina's continuous sexual fixation with her female peers, but also in the general atmosphere and dialogue. The theme of homosexuality is mentioned from the beginning, in the description of home-schoolers. After that, homosexuality shows itself to be a recurring theme throughout the movie. Janis's "too gay to function" comment takes on a whole new meaning when applied to Regina -- if she outed herself, she would no longer be able to function in the society she herself helped create.
eatmydust166
eatmydust166
926 posts
Peasant

I read all of this and just realized... I just wasted a bunch of time of my life reading this. Thanks for making me die early! *cries*

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

But Reginas hot.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

It really saddens me that such a highbrow, analytical, intelligent thread is receiving such nonchalant response. Zeno is making beautiful connections here and he's bringing out the symbolism in an entire movie! Shouldn't we be fascinated, and willing to contribute?

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

You mean take back the comment on the end? Thanks for the advice.

No, I was talking to google. I said if he read this whole thread, he would take back his comment about it being a waste of time.

I haven't seen Mean Girls actually, but it sounds... interesting.
dragnoss
dragnoss
15 posts
Nomad

well I havent seen the movie but now I think I want to

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

No, I was talking to google. I said if he read this whole thread, he would take back his comment about it being a waste of time.
Oh. Thanks, Jdog! As Jdog has implied "I read this and it was a waste of time" is fancy talk for "I looked at this but it was too long, so I didn't read it and commented anyway."

well I havent seen the movie but now I think I want to
*spits out hot chocolate* Never seen Mean Girls!? You should fix that erroneous life choice ASAP.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

^

Mean Girls is hilarious. And if you're Xzeno, it's both hilarious and a social interaction experiment :P

Now I know I promised to post here, but you thought it was going to be earlier than this, right? Now Xzeno, what would you say about...the guy that is labeled as being gay? Is there a hidden agenda for him as well?

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

On the

"But wait

paragraph, after reading it I imagined "Stoop kid's afraid to leave his stoop!" from Hey Arnold!

Don't know if that has any significance.
Showing 1-15 of 22