ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

301 82047
scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Hi i have heard a rumor about that you can change your username in ag3. Is this true? And also if it is true won't people steal your username or is that impossible.

• 301 Replies
morgrogue17
morgrogue17
2 posts
Nomad

i was desperate to have a new name so i made a new account it was alot of work but was worth it I also didnt know AG3 was coming out

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Should it have a limit on how many names you are allowed to create? Because if you are allowed to have as many as you want, it will start to be people have to add about 4 numbers to the end of their name just so that they can get a name.

If we had a limit of say 5, then that wouldn't happen, or atleast not for a while longer.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Well, I'll be changing mine once since I want to use the username I use on most sites, so I don't particularly care for that, but I don't think we should be limited like that. I prefer only being able to change it once every three months or so and it also displaying somewhere on the profile what your last username was and when you changed it.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Should it have a limit on how many names you are allowed to create? Because if you are allowed to have as many as you want, it will start to be people have to add about 4 numbers to the end of their name just so that they can get a name.

If we had a limit of say 5, then that wouldn't happen, or atleast not for a while longer.

Much like Facebook. That's a good idea if we're freely allowed to rotate our names. It would be much easier to monitor users and for users to identify one another.

I prefer only being able to change it once every three months or so and it also displaying somewhere on the profile what your last username was and when you changed it.

I've seen two peeps with their names literally as ''_______'' and ''________'', one slightly longer than the other. Won't trolls or users try to hide as such?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

This is what I meant.

If you click on his profile, you see two more users as his friends with such names. But you can't click their profiles as it loops back to the one I provided.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

That's where they'll have to try to fix the accounts. In the past if you typed up a name such as "greg_greg" (he's in the top 100 on the leaderboard) then you'd get "greggreg" who had no armor points and their comments were closed. I believe something similar happened to firetail_madness when someone made an account without the underscore, but when that happened he couldn't access his account for a few days.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Maybe then a time limit, say you can only change your username every 2 weeks or something? Otherwise people could just spam the change name, to make it extremely difficult for new people to sign up

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think having the option for every few months, say three would be good enough. If you really want to change your username then it shouldn't be that often.

benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

Would the mods sort of monitor the usernames? If someone decided to change their name to something offensive? Or does that already happen?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

If they see anything offensive then they'll take action. It's not a main duty for a moderator to keep track of usernames and I wouldn't expect it to be considering there are a lot of people on this site. However, I think the administrators have some sort of filter that notifies them if someone has an account with an inappropriate username.

Lights_of_Sanity
Lights_of_Sanity
28 posts
Jester

new usernames..... someone might steal my username

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

It's not stealing at all. If you change your username and someone else takes it, then that's your problem. Not to mention we don't "rights" to our usernames on here anyway.

ablr
ablr
133 posts
Nomad

I think this will just cause confusion.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Being able to change your username once every 3+ months and it showing your previous usernames on your profile wouldn't cause confusion.
benjaminio
benjaminio
83 posts
Nomad

If someone is serious about changing their username, then they wouldn't want to do it more than once every 3+ months, so there wouldn't be that much changing.

However, if you change your name and you realise that you don't like it, will there be any way to change it back to one of your previous ones if it hasn't been taken?
Showing 196-210 of 301