ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

301 81980
scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Hi i have heard a rumor about that you can change your username in ag3. Is this true? And also if it is true won't people steal your username or is that impossible.

• 301 Replies
eelephants
eelephants
23 posts
Nomad

Okay this one is easy.
YES! Be able to change them!!!!!
There's not problems that I could see.

sugarbean
sugarbean
81 posts
Nomad

hopefully we can

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Why would we even want to change our usernames???

Some people might have grown out of their names or made a mistake when typing it
Naoto1994
Naoto1994
19 posts
Nomad

I have mixed feelings over this name changing feature that is proposed.

What I think:

Pros:

1) If you really committed the mistake of incorrectly typing your name at the beginning, you may change it.

2) One can get tired of the same name and change it at their whim.

3) The naming history idea is very good, it should avoid much confusion.

4) If taken, the decision to have very strict requirements as to this feature will be well appreciated, since many people do get a kick out of impersonating another person on sites such as AG. Furthermore, only a dedicated person to AG should have such a privilege; it will reduce many problems.

Cons:

1) One can suddenly regret changing the username and if by a chance, it is taken, the name is lost.

2) If there are no restrictions put on how many times or how frequently the name can be changed, the confusion will be tremendous

3) I am unsure of what will happen to all previous posts and comments made by the person who changed the name, whether they will change or if they will remain with the same name in the moment of the post.

Some of my suggestions:

1) Add notifications to friends of the person under "witness protection program" (just had to) to allow the friends to know that the change has taken effect.

2) Some requirements I recommend would be to have been an AG member for a long time, maybe a year, being a good citizen (meaning hardly any comments erased or other negative incursions), a certain amount of reputation and other point based ranking systems AG decides to implement.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

1) One can suddenly regret changing the username and if by a chance, it is taken, the name is lost.

Once you change your username you'll have one month to revert back, but if you don't in that one month time period then your former username can be taken by others.
2) If there are no restrictions put on how many times or how frequently the name can be changed, the confusion will be tremendous

They'll probably restrict it to every three or so months. But people generally will stick to one username if they change it, unless they are those people who can't stick with something for a while.
3) I am unsure of what will happen to all previous posts and comments made by the person who changed the name, whether they will change or if they will remain with the same name in the moment of the post.

Obviously your old username will change to your new one in the forums and comments sections.

All that information above is from when Cormyn (an ex-admin) was active around here, but without an active admin around we don't know what they are going to do, or if they even check these threads to see our ideas.
SuperBabyMario
SuperBabyMario
7 posts
Nomad

I have a question on this changing names because I'm not sure yet.
Okay say I did the option to change my username and the name I looked up is not available is my old name up for grabs in a month?
Or do I have to confirm that I'm changing my name?

Also AG3 should ask you the question a few times if you are sure you want to change your name like in COD when you want to prestige.
"Are you sure you want to change your username?" and then
"Changing your username WILL make you lose your current username in 30 days do you want to continue?"

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Or do I have to confirm that I'm changing my name?

You will most likely have to confirm for the namechange before it happens. Most likely through a few hundred "yes, I am willing to change my name to this" pop-ups.
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

But then people will start trolling and keep changing their username to annoy people. Or it will cost you [number here] amount of achievements/AP to change it.

SuperBabyMario
SuperBabyMario
7 posts
Nomad

I agree with invalid, but you should also give us a set time before we can change our name again. So once you change your name you have to wait like 3 months before changing it again

doomdog13135
doomdog13135
7 posts
Nomad

iv been around since this site was Game's of Gondor... (LOLOLOL) And i can tell you now. im mighty happy about this Name change idea.. :P How ever i also think that it should be made so that people dont abuse it.... maybe they can only change there name once every 3 months? Also the option to report username's whould be nice.. iv seen some pretty nasty ones. If that was the case a forced username change whould see fit. Keep it up AG

ieatpenguins4lunch
ieatpenguins4lunch
1 posts
Nomad

Achh, it really is starting to annoy me because I didn't use my signature name because I had a different thing on my mind, but now I just need to get karma points.

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

Okay. I haven't read all the posts, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet. But... With AG3 will I be able to take this guy's username? Because it looks like he hasn't been, and won't be, using his account any time soon. And it'd be awesome if I could have my username without the "0"

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

He would probably need to be perma'd before you took his username. And just because he has no AP, doesn't mean he's not on. A lot of people just use membership to save.

Slair
Slair
31 posts
Peasant

This seems like a good idea. I've seen it happen before, and it worked very well actually, but luckily I have the username I want

jtjackdog
jtjackdog
36 posts
Shepherd

i think it is a excellent idea

Showing 226-240 of 301