ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

301 81803
scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Hi i have heard a rumor about that you can change your username in ag3. Is this true? And also if it is true won't people steal your username or is that impossible.

• 301 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The way we're planning the URL redirect is that the system will see a request come in for, eg., "armorgames.com/user/GhostOfMatrix" and try to match the username in the system. If it fails, it'll do a quick check to see if "GhostOfMatrix" has changed his name to something else. If so, it'll bounce the browser to the new profile, say, "armorgames.com/user/GhostlyMatrix" or whatever the new name is.

However, if any other user takes your old username, or the 30-day waiting period is over, obviously that URL redirection will no longer work...

tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

My suggestion is that on the forums/page it should list the users former and current username, however once 30 days is up the former username will go away. I also think that people should not be able to take peoples first username (username they signed up with) no matter how long they have it changed for.

Example:
Tegan170
(formerly as Tegan190)
170 posts.

That's my suggestion

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I also think that people should not be able to take peoples first username (username they signed up with) no matter how long they have it changed for.

No, the idea we had is that once you give up your username, you've given it up, and any other user can grab that name and use it.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Also worth mentioning again: permabanned users will be in the AG3 database, so nobody will be able to change their name to one of those names.

spjohn
spjohn
10 posts
Jester

I would like to ask a question: Will the login name(account-name) remains unchanged or follows to change, when a user changes his/her username(displayname)?

I agree with most of cormyn's ideas all the way through this thread. One thing I am afriad I don't like is the limit of time for users to change their usernames. In terms of identification, a username is quite a sole method for users to recognize other users, besides from users' armatars, for example, when I see a black skeleton holding a sword with an orange background, I know this is cormyn. But who is cormyn? "cormyn" is a very hard-working admin in AG. What if cormyn changed his username, and after one month another user changed to this name. I would have 90% chance mistaking this person as the admin in comments(places without armatars)if I'm not an active forum user.
For me one month is too short,and I would like to learn more about the restrictions of usernames' changing, thanks.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Will the login name(account-name) remains unchanged or follows to change, when a user changes his/her username(displayname)?

If you change your username, you will use that new name to log into the web site.

One thing I am afriad I don't like is the limit of time for users to change their usernames. ... one month is too short,and I would like to learn more about the restrictions of usernames' changing, thanks.

We can certainly take this under advisement. Generally speaking, moderators and admins will not change their usernames, and even if they do, our armatars and/or other items (like the 'Administrator' tag under my armatar) will clearly show that we're an authority figure on the site. As far as other users go, I don't imagine many users will change their username more than twice. Given the requirements for changing the username in the first place, and that they can't change their name to any other name that's still in use (or is a banned user), and that we might impose other restrictions like waiting 6 months before you could change your name again, I'm sure users will put some thought into the whole name change process.
Luksy2
Luksy2
16 posts
Nomad

Cormyn, do we get an email after we change our username? Something like "You have changed your username. Your new username is XxXxXxXx". Something like a reminder.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,894 posts
Nomad

No, the idea we had is that once you give up your username, you've given it up, and any other user can grab that name and use it.

So you really have to be sure you want to change it. I will probably keep mine the same though, I use Ghgt99 as my account name for all gaming websites.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Cormyn, do we get an email after we change our username? Something like "You have changed your username. Your new username is XxXxXxXx". Something like a reminder.

Yeah, we could do that.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

Would we be able to change our username to the username of a banned user?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Would we be able to change our username to the username of a banned user?

cormyn said no to that on the previous page.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

what about a user that was deleted. like, you know, you email cormyn and he deletes your account. would you be able to take their name?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

what about a user that was deleted. like, you know, you email cormyn and he deletes your account. would you be able to take their name?

I don't think they delete the account(s) - I think they only permanently ban the account(s) so it can be no longer used.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Correct, GoM. Disabled accounts end up in the same bucket as perma-banned accounts, and their usernames will no longer be available for use by other users.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

And to answer the ALL CAPS question (which I deleted), no we have no intention of ever charging money for things like changing your username.

Showing 61-75 of 301