ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas and Discussions about: Changing Usernames in AG3

301 81813
scardragon99
scardragon99
570 posts
Nomad

Hi i have heard a rumor about that you can change your username in ag3. Is this true? And also if it is true won't people steal your username or is that impossible.

• 301 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

And the reason we need to be a "good person" and a ll that is because the ability to change it is a privilege, not a right.

So it's a "Privilege" to change my username because I want to? That makes absolutely no sense. Why does it have to be a &quotrivilege"? I rightfully own my account and I should be able to change my username when I want to.
exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

I think that thepyro222 has a point. You do own the account, but you do not own the website. You don't make the rules, they do.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

[quote=GhostOfMatrix]will there be a feature for them to hide it?[/quote]

Maybe from other users, but not from mods/admins. And we track everything with a unique ID aside from your username on AG3, everything from activity stream stuff to Inbox messages, etc., so we'll be able to find everything you've done at AG3 regardless of your username.

[quote=exicoasterpath]When you change your username, do your points magically disappear just like your username?[/quote]
No. As above, everything about your account is tied to a separate identifier on AG3 so regardless of your username, everything else will remain.

[quote=exicoasterpath]how did Cormyn change his username?[/quote]
As others have said, that was just a text example of what we *could* show. Still, admin users (not mods) on AG2 have the ability to actually change usernames, we just choose not to, unless it's an extreme case. I believe we've only ever changed one user name in the history o AG2. (and don't ask me to change your name on AG2, I won't do it, neither will any other admin)

[quote=thepyro222]why does it have to have this huge fiasco behind it?[/quote]
There's no fiasco, but if someone starts flaming/trolling, users will need some way of seeing who it was... and if they remember "some punk named Cormyn was posting some anti-[insert your favorite group of people here] comments" then you'll be able to see if I've changed my name since then.

We also need a way, as admins and moderators, to track which names you've had in the past so we can look for troublemakers, or users who conspire to 'swap' their usernames to cause trouble, etc. Unfortunately there are those out there that just refuse to follow rules.

[quote=thepyro222]just lemme change the thing[/quote]
Yup, we will. Just that there *may* (or may not) be restrictions on when/how you'll get to do it. And we'll probably cap how often, or how many times per [period of time] we'll allow it.

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

There's no fiasco, but if someone starts flaming/trolling, users will need some way of seeing who it was... and if they remember "some punk named Cormyn was posting some anti-[insert your favorite group of people here] comments" then you'll be able to see if I've changed my name since then.

We also need a way, as admins and moderators, to track which names you've had in the past so we can look for troublemakers, or users who conspire to 'swap' their usernames to cause trouble, etc. Unfortunately there are those out there that just refuse to follow rule...

Yup, we will. Just that there *may* (or may not) be restrictions on when/how you'll get to do it. And we'll probably cap how often, or how many times per [period of time] we'll allow it.

I can live with that. I just felt like people were complaining because if someone took a username that they had 6 months ago, they would feel in some way violated, which is utter crap. I understand the whole thing with trollers and spammers. Thank you for clarifying
johnmerz
johnmerz
537 posts
Shepherd

I am really for this function of having the ability to change your username.
I personally think that you should be able to change your username.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

i like this idea, but i see people are arguing "how will you know it's this original user?" and such, well, if you change your username, how about saying under it, lets say I want to change my username from Runescape124 to, say, X-Veris (it's my username for the MMORPG Runescape, lol). It lets me change my username, and under it my new username, say Originally Runescape124. Hows that idea?

exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

Yeah. But I have a question; Who was the only one to change their name?
Just curious.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

If memory serves, it was ProfessorOak, who at first had his username mistakenly misspelled. It was THE Carlie that set up the changed username. Ayup, that's something that's also going to be said around the fireplace in 10 years.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Horrible idea. I think it should be a privilege given out once a year.

exicoasterpath
exicoasterpath
257 posts
Nomad

That would be a good idea. But it is your account. And is too slim chances to get picked to change your name.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

If you want to change your name back, you (a) have to wait 30 days, and (b) hope nobody takes your old name after the 30-day period and before you log back in to change it back.

Couldn't you like, give us 30 days in which we could change back instead of making us wait 30 days and risk losing our name?

Hmmph.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I know of a lot of forum sites who will have a username, for the purpose of keeping tabs on the users and logging in that they cannot change, but they also have a display name that they can change whenever they want. All the display name is is what displays on the forum. Problem solved

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

I know of a lot of forum sites who will have a username, for the purpose of keeping tabs on the users and logging in that they cannot change, but they also have a display name that they can change whenever they want. All the display name is is what displays on the forum. Problem solved

well, what if all that shows IS the Display name?
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

well, what if all that shows IS the Display name?

The display name would be all that shows. the username would be for moderation/ administrative purposes.
Deathdealer14
Deathdealer14
101 posts
Nomad

You should make it so that you can make it so people can't make insulting names. Or try to insult people with their name, (Yes I know my name might be offending, but i was younger then. And I wish to change it.) Like blahblahsucks or blahblah is stupid. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

Showing 31-45 of 301