The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernWhat do babies dream of?

23 3997
d_dude
d_dude
3,523 posts
Peasant

I was wondering what babies dream of, if they even dream. Before they have memories, and maybe when they're still in the womb, what do they dream of? If you die in your sleep, do you finish the dream you started?

• 23 Replies
sasquatchcarrot
sasquatchcarrot
189 posts
Nomad

There are 2 parts to the sleep cycle, N.R.E.M. (non-rapid eye movement) and R.E.M. (rapid-eye movement) your dreams occur in the R.E.M. stage of your sleep. If you die you lose your ability to move, which means your eyes can't rapidly move back and forth. this proves dead people can not dream.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I can remember the end of a dream I had when I was two years old. Is that normal?

If you die you lose your ability to move, which means your eyes can't rapidly move back and forth. this proves dead people can not dream.

I think the fact that you can't think when you're dead already proves that.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Before they have memories, they probably dream of nothing. But when they are infants, they probably dream of colors and sounds.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

When they're taking little baby snoozes?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I was wondering what babies dream of,

I remember dreams when I was an infant of a big white dog and giant doctors coming at me.

Before they have memories, and maybe when they're still in the womb,

The ability to have memories starts in the womb. And yes babies dream in the womb.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090413185734.htm

what do they dream of?

No idea, if I was to guess it might be abstract images of the sounds they have heard.

If you die in your sleep, do you finish the dream you started?

No, on top of what sasquatchcarrot said brain activity ceases with brain death. Granted it's likely rapid eye movement would stop before the brain fully dies.
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

Knight! You stole my answer. Whatever. Babies probably dream about random abstract shapes and colors.

Stormtrooper1
Stormtrooper1
81 posts
Nomad

lol knight_34 and darkrai097, that's what I was thinking of. But I think that babies probably dream, but forget it.

jsparrow
jsparrow
47 posts
Nomad

babies dream of a world where everyone has boobs so they are never hungry lol

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

babies dream of a world where everyone has boobs so they are never hungry lol

It's unlikely they could put together such a concept.

They just probably dream of, hey I HAVE AN IDIEA since some of us are older we can ask a scientist to do a brain scan on a baby and see what they are dreaming of because i saw a show which is possible...sooo yea

You can't scan a brain and see what it's dreaming that's preposterous. But with cognitive research you can safely assume it's just a jumble of their perceptions. Nothing of real interest, since at that age they cannot form complex thoughts.
d_dude
d_dude
3,523 posts
Peasant

I think they dream of red cozyness, you know, like a womb.

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

what do teenagers dream of?
Wow i like that idea, maybe I will start a thread about it.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

What do babies dream of
When taking a baby snooze
Do they dream of drinking bottles

You know this is ridiculous

sambam
sambam
452 posts
Nomad

What do tigers dream of? Do they dream of mauling zebras ?

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I was wondering what babies dream of, if they even dream.

Babies, like every other animal that enters REM sleep, do dream. As for what they dream of, we cannot even begin to guess. If we use the content of OUR dreams as any sort of idea, though, it is reasonable to assume that they dream of just about anything which they have ever experienced through any of their senses.

If you die in your sleep, do you finish the dream you started?

Not possible. Once you are dead your brain is no longer active and thus cannot experience anything at all.
Showing 1-15 of 23