ForumsThe Tavern[necro] Math Ratio Problem

25 14773
Snowrut
Snowrut
68 posts
Nomad

My friend and I cant decide what the answer to this question is. Any answers?
Question:
A smoothie consists of strawberries and rasberries. The strawberry to rasberry ratio is 4:12. What percentage of the smoothie is made of strawberries? (assume the strawberry and rasberry are the same size)
Answer: 25% or 33.3% (thirty three and one third percent)
I think it's 25%.

• 25 Replies
starcraftfan123
starcraftfan123
254 posts
Nomad

i think it's 33.3%. please note that if i am right, you have been outsmarted by an elementary schooler. (that's supposed to be a joke, no offense meant)

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

I believe it is ~33.3%. 4:12 reduces to 1:3. Therefore, the number of strawberries is one-third the number of raspberries. (1/3)100 = 33.3

lostmanfound
lostmanfound
124 posts
Nomad

33.3% (present)

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

No, you have to add the 2 together you fools. there is a total of 16 (4+12), and only 4 of those are strawberries. 4/16 is 1/4 or 25 percent.

The word has been said.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

It's 25%.

For every one strawberry, there are three raspberries.
Since strawberries and raspberries are the same size so let's say they're each equal to a unit volume called fruit.

1 strawberry = 1 fruit
1 raspberry = 1 fruit

We have
1 strawberry
3 raspberry

1 strawberry + 3 raspberry = 1 fruit + 3 fruit = 4 fruit.

1 strawberry / 4 fruit = 1 fruit / 4 fruit = 1/4 =/25 = 25%

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Yep 25%, it's almost the same as calculating probabilities.

A / S
A - what you want = 4 Strawberry's
S - how many things there are = Strawberry's + Raspberry = 16

So 4/16 = 1/4 = %25

Or just simplify the ratio 4:12 = 4/12 = 1/4 = %25

People should post harder math problems.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Ignore the simplifying of the ratio, I don't know what I was doing.

Waterutt
Waterutt
41 posts
Nomad

I thought that it was 33.3%

Snowrut
Snowrut
68 posts
Nomad

Ok thanks guys even though its almost like 50 50.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Luls @ math failures. It's 25%, because as Gantic already posted, 4:12 = 1:3, so for every 3 Raspberrys, there's 1 strawberry, 3+1 = 4, 1/4 = 25%

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Noobs was the first to post the right answer! Why does Gantic get credit?

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

I think it's 26%; you're all wrong.

nemo12
nemo12
723 posts
Nomad

How is this so hard. A standard 2 schooler in my country can find this out with ease. You add the ratios(whatever the spelling is) together. When this process has been done, you take the individual numbers and make them a p/q fraction with the dividend being the added together ratios. This will cause the numbers to be 4/16 and 12/16. this narrows down to 1/4 and 3/4. This is equal to the ratio. This transfered to percent is (1/4 * 100/1) and (3/4 * 100/1). This equals to 25%(strawberries) and 75%(whatever the other fruit is).

This is the very detailed way that i state this problem.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

You're all wrong! Here's why:

A smoothie consists of strawberries and rasberries. The strawberry to rasberry ratio is 4:12. What percentage of the smoothie is made of strawberries?

Now, of course 25% of the berries in the smoothie are strawberries, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that the smoothie contains so much more than just berries, 'cus it'd be yucky otherwise and not really a smoothie at all. Thus, the percentage of the smoothie that is strawberries is a much, much lower number.
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

Now, of course 25% of the berries in the smoothie are strawberries, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that the smoothie contains so much more than just berries, 'cus it'd be yucky otherwise and not really a smoothie at all. Thus, the percentage of the smoothie that is strawberries is a much, much lower number.

Haha very funny, I award you one Internet.
Showing 1-15 of 25