ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 96315
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

@Greentrev106:
People who spam get their posts/comments removed then most likely spammed for it. If they continue, then they get a temporary ban.

@Kawaii:
I don't think there should be a limit for characters. There are things in the forums that don't requires a big response. A question like "do I get ap from ratings games?" The answer would be "yes", there isn't much you can add to that. Comments don't have to have a character limit either. Sometimes I like to keep it short and simple. Not all flash games requires essay long comments.

valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I don't think there should be a limit for characters. There are things in the forums that don't requires a big response. A question like "do I get ap from ratings games?" The answer would be "yes", there isn't much you can add to that. Comments don't have to have a character limit either. Sometimes I like to keep it short and simple. Not all flash games requires essay long comments.

I agree with you. When I make comments on games, I've sometimes a lot of things to say (generally when I like the game) and sometimes not.
I don't think it would be a good idea to set up a limit for characters, some words can have the same impact as much of words. An excellent comment is not due to its lenght but to it contents.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

But you need a permission from a moderator to rate it bright red (Negative), because otherwise some people might rate each other constantly negative

We call this our 'flag' option. If you think something is bad enough to be removed, click the flag.

I think that spamming users should lose the amount of armor points that they have gained by spamming

They do. Whenever we remove a post, they lose the points associated with the post. And it will be the same with the Reputation system.

the second time they spam they should temporareally muted so they cannot post comments or post on forums

We've discussed internally a few times having a way to 'mute' users, and that's part of our privacy settings now where you can 'ban' a user.

A question like "do I get ap from ratings games?" The answer would be "yes"

Well, we're hoping that an advanced FAQ system will handle a lot of that for us, to avoid having the same questions over and over and over.

An excellent comment is not due to its lenght but to it contents.

Correct, but at the same time, you're not going to give a thought-provoking, merit-worthy comment in less than 7 words.

Anyway, the commenting/spam chatter is off-topic, so let's stick to things related to Reputation please.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

will a leaderboard of users with the most reputation exist or not?

I don't know if it will, but I think it should.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

will a leaderboard of users with the most reputation exist or not?

I don't know if it's a good idea to make reputation a competition. Some way or another, people are going to find a way to get their reputation at the top of the list.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I don't know if it's a good idea to make reputation a competition. Some way or another, people are going to find a way to get their reputation at the top of the list.

Since Reputation will be based on good posts, I don't think a competition will be bad for AG. After all, if people spam, that won't help their Reputation. Therefore, I think such a leaderboard would not attract spam.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

What I see happening is people making alt accounts to boost their reputation, so they can be at the top of the list. It wouldn't be the same type of spam we're all used to; we will be introduced to an entirely new type of spam if we add a leaderboard to the reputation system.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't see it as more work. If they are changing the points system from how it is now to what it's going to be in AG3, then the workload for spamming would be similar. If people decide to create alternate accounts to vote up their reputation, then they'll most likely get banned. If they keep doing it, then I would guess that a perma and IP ban would come soon after, preventing them from having an account on Armor Games.

Community involvement in AG3 won't reward points, so it's likely that people won't spam around the community for points anymore. However, people will still spam around the community since it must bring them some kind of enjoyment disrupting the community. But I'd imagine that it would be less since it won't reward points and most people that do spam the community on the current site most likely do it for the points.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

What I see happening is people making alt accounts to boost their reputation

Alternate accounts will be prohibited on AG3 once we introduce Groups, and Reputation will probably be introduced around the same time. Making alternate accounts will make your primary account get perma-banned.
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

But how will you see that accounts are alternate accounts?

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I'd like to comment about something that I saw a page back:

Alternate accounts will be prohibited on AG3 once we introduce Groups, and Reputation will probably be introduced around the same time. Making alternate accounts will make your primary account get perma-banned.

So the alternate accounts for people will be shut down? If you attempt to create an alternate it won't allow you to do so?

Well, that was a bit off-topic, so I'll talk about the reputation now:
From what I've read the reputation will come from people voting things up and down in the community. I'm curious, will moderators and administrators also be allowed to vote? And about game comments, if there is a review section on them. If a comment gets voted up several times, or if a moderator/administrator sees it and places it in the review section if there is one, will the person who wrote the comment receive more reputation since it got promoted?
valboss84
valboss84
1,529 posts
Farmer

I'm curious, will moderators and administrators also be allowed to vote?

I think, yes. Why couldn't they vote? There are users too...
But cormyn said one time that he's not sure there will still be moderatorson AG3.

If a comment gets voted up several times, or if a moderator/administrator sees it and places it in the review section if there is one, will the person who wrote the comment receive more reputation since it got promoted?

Nice idea (or question). I hope cormyn could answer it.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I'm not sure. If they are able to vote, will their votes count more since they are moderators and administrators, or will their voting power be the same as users? I wonder what cormyn has to say about that.

I think the part of no moderators was during the April Fools' joke, Valboss. Moderators are a requirement for big communities such as Armor Games, otherwise the site would lose quality.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

I'm not sure. If they are able to vote, will their votes count more since they are moderators and administrators, or will their voting power be the same as users? I wonder what cormyn has to say about that.

Good posts should earn Reputation, but cormyn has said several times that he doesn't want users to "game" the system. However, I think it does make sense for mods and admins to be able to vote for Reputation.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

And about game comments, if there is a review section on them. If a comment gets voted up several times, or if a moderator/administrator sees it and places it in the review section if there is one, will the person who wrote the comment receive more reputation since it got promoted?

I think the only way for the game comment vote-ups to work would be from mod/admins, just the way merits work, because if users could one up, then it would be abused too much.
Showing 106-120 of 344