ForumsNews and FeedbackReputation System Suggestion

344 95908
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Feel free to discuss ideas about the Reputation system, known to some users as the "karma system", although "reputation" is what we'll be calling it on AG3.

The Reputation System may not be present at AG3 launch, but is a high priority post-launch. It will allow other users to participate in ranking your community involvement, to a degree.

We're still open to ideas on it, so feel free to share your thoughts and ideas, and ask any questions.

• 344 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

EverDead, the Reputation system will be on comments, not on users. Your idea was brought up in the past already.

daburgerrules
daburgerrules
2 posts
Nomad

the reputation system is based of your comunity envolement so if i like buy a shirt frum the arorgames store would or enter a contest would that put a spike in my reputation?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Purchasing items in the store won't grant Reputation (users will never be able to 'buy' Reputation or points from us, even indirectly like buying a t-shirt).

As far as the contest idea goes, if the contest is forum based, users can 'vote' for their favorite message using the vote methods to give that author some Reputation gain. Since we haven't even picked out new forum software yet, I can't say much else, plus this is the wrong thread to discuss forum ideas.

rivercrab01
rivercrab01
1,242 posts
Nomad

I find this quite simple. I suppose that it will be something like youtube likes and dislikes on comments.
You can only change the karma/reputation of a comment when you are online.
These points could be shown as a total on your page as a bar or line graph, covering the time you've been a member.
These points could then be used for armatars, achievements or other awards.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As we've stated several times, your Reputation score, or even Armor Points, will not be used for armatars, etc. And armor points come FROM Achievements, not the other way around, but that's off-topic.

Phase 1 of the Reputation System, as we've also said before, will only allow "liking" something.

Since we haven't designed the system fully yet, we're still taking ideas on where/how to show the information. I'm curious what you think the bar graph or line graph would be ... gains over time? number of different posts that are gaining (or have gained) reputation?

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

If at all possible I would find it nice if you gave trollers negative reputation. It would be nice if it could keep track of deleted posts and take away X number of reputation socre depending how many times they did this.

Such as

1-5: -5 score
6-10: -20 score
11-30: -50 score

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

If at all possible I would find it nice if you gave trollers negative reputation. It would be nice if it could keep track of deleted posts and take away X number of reputation socre depending how many times they did this.

Such as

1-5: -5 score
6-10: -20 score
11-30: -50 score

If deleted posts lose the Reputation earned, then I don't think this idea will be necessary. After all, I think some people would be stupid enough to give Reputation to bad posts.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Pretty sure we've said in this thread that Reputation will not go negative in phase one. Perhaps in the future, when we add a 'dislike' button.

Koru7
Koru7
1,408 posts
Nomad

I know i'm really late in the discussion, but what does the reputation system do?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Go back to page 1 and read about it...

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

In a nutshell, it replaces the Armor Points system on AG2 where you gain points by posting in the forums, etc. But you'll only gain Reputation if someone 'likes' something you wrote, you won't get Rep just by writing.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Pretty sure we've said in this thread that Reputation will not go negative in phase one. Perhaps in the future, when we add a 'dislike' button.

Personally i think negative reputation can either be really good, or bad - it would prove a point to flamers, but someone could write an amazing post and people who simply want to hit the dislike button could, decreasing their reputation.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Yeah, but that's why we've looked at algorithms to look for 'haters' -- people that just down-vote your stuff all the time 'cause they don't like you.

In an ideal world, we'd analyze their likes/dislikes over time, realize that they dislike lots of things you write, make an assumption that they just don't like you, and make all of their dislikes toward you worth less, boosting your Reputation over time.

In reality, phase one may just be like Google's +1 where everyone's "like" is equally weighted. The algorithms are pretty complex.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I like that idea. I know it wouldn't be effective 100% of the time because you guys are only human, but if there are measures in place i think the system will work well.

Will we be able to see who gave us a "like" and when it's introduced a "dislike" as such?

Bmaster123
Bmaster123
49 posts
Nomad

I think we should add A like and dislike comment button. So if a comment gets to many dislikes a mod can take it off depending on what it says and so on. And then if a person gets a lot of likes many times there name can come up blue saying (Trusted commenter) or (Top 10 commenter) (top 25) (top 50) (top 100) so on. This can help the &quotlayer" spot a good comment quick. and if a person gets a huge amount of dislikes the person may get the title (Untrusted commenter) and there name is in red.

~Bmaster123 (Game Critic)

Showing 136-150 of 344