ForumsWEPRFun talk about sweet stuff candy etc. lol

56 9683
R4in3r5
R4in3r5
74 posts
Peasant

I was sort of bored so i tought why not make a new topic?

• 56 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Yeah, weight balance translates as follows:

Weight = energy put in - energy put out.

Energy put in is in terms of nutrition.
Energy put out is in terms of everything else: your body's basal metabolic processes + whatever else on top you might add.

(In metric units...for converting joules into calories, divide by 4.2)

The average adult male needs about 10MJ a day. Adult females need about 8MJ. If you're a teen (or between, say, 13-17) and growing quickly, you will probably need a bit more.

Now, in terms of fat, your body fat stores about 30kJ a gram. Which means (very very loosely speaking) if you eat 1.2MJ more than you need in a day (or one cheese-laden pizza slice), then all things being constant (which really they aren't, but for the sake of argument let's say they are) you could expect to gain like, 400g, or nearly a pound. If you don't eat anything extra and run on a treadmill until you're sweating like a pig for two hours, you might get that off (but seriously, don't crash diet like this...your body will hate you for it.)

Good nutrition is always difficult to define but what we've established is that listening to your body so that you don't eat until you feel ick and all that should be generally good for you (unless you have a condition like Prader-Willis syndrome...that is a horrific disorder to have because you are eternally hungry).

As a further guideline, I'd encourage people to look at the numbers and do some loose math, just add things up and see if your diet hovers around the 2000-2400 Cal mark, more if you're larger and exercise a lot, less if you're smaller, just approximately. It's grown to be a habit of mine to read the labels on all my food packets, and keep an eye on my weight, and this informs me about how I'd like to guide my diet, or what to expect.

From this I've become very familiar with the way my metabolic processes work. I know where my weight should be, and I generally know why I'm feeling certain effects from what I've eaten, and this guides my eating habits. I treat myself once in a while (with the predictable results :P) but hey, that's okay, because that's how it should be. And you know what? I feel great about my health and fitness.

As for those who feel they cannot relate to this because they struggle or carry extra or just feel like crap all the time, one thing you can do is to make people more aware of the simple facts, as opposed to the hype and the fads and all the "quick fixes" that don't do jack. If people can feel empowered and convinced that they really can take the reins, much of the battle with the bulge would be won already.

As it is, being fat and jolly certainly is a rare thing...with it mostly comes an insecurity, a depression borne both from the state, and the stigma that it now brings.

R4in3r5
R4in3r5
74 posts
Peasant

Just remember to have a healthy life style and every thing will be ok.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Thing is most people really don't have the first clue about what a 'healthy lifestyle' entails ;..;

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

Haha anyone seen that Burger King commercial:

Some guy: "Yeah, I'll have a whopper."
Cashier: "I'm sorry, we don't serve those here. Would you like a baked potato?"
Some guy: "A baked potato? What is this, Germany?"

So funny if you actually see it, but is it not ironic? Trying to seem like having a potato over a greasy burger, is a bad thing. Sad really, how our culture is being brainwashed.

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

I absolutely adore Mike "N" Ikes

They are so tasty

Yum Yum XD

R4in3r5
R4in3r5
74 posts
Peasant

Food is just ment so we could survive if we haven't had any food in days our body will ''Eat itself'' but yeah food is tasty.

dawn5555
dawn5555
26 posts
Nomad

Here's an opinion from lil' ol' me. For whatever it's worth. Food is meant to nourish and sustain, yes. Just like sex is for procreation. I assume all of you who only eat to live will also only have sex to further the species, right? That seems silly to me. We have to be sensible about both things, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying them. I try to drink water most of the time, but I sure do love a soda pop every once in awhile. Mmm.

R4in3r5
R4in3r5
74 posts
Peasant

Well why else we would eat?To survive dehidration and all that stuff.

dawn5555
dawn5555
26 posts
Nomad

I don't mean the REASON to eat is to enjoy it. Just that there's nothing wrong with enjoying it. I think it was meant to be enjoyed. And appreciated. Everything could taste like powerbars, but it doesn't. I'm going to be thankful for that. And eat my strawberries, and put some salt on my eggs. And enjoy cinnamon in my coffee. And brush my teeth and exercise. I just think some people have gone a little overboard with their "food is only nourishment" piece.

godofsalt
godofsalt
49 posts
Nomad

i agree food is meant to be enjoyed... if you enjoy the food your body will make sure every part of it is digested but if you dont like something your body also wont digest it completely no matter how useful it is

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

Its all about moderation. Dawn makes a good point, food can be enjoyed as well as for nourishment just like sex is for enjoyment as well as procreation. Clothes are to cover us, but also for fashion. Though some people go overboard, we can both enjoy the taste and nutrients from food.. not all yummy food is bad for you!

Showing 46-56 of 56