The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernFavorite Historical Figure?

50 9938
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Call me a nerd, but I'm really curious.

Here are some questions to get the ball rolling.

1. Whom do you admire?
2. Why do you admire him/her?
3. What do you wish to say to him/her if you two met?
4. What do you think is his/her greatest accomplishment?
5. Any miscellaneous facts about that historical figure that we may not know about?

• 50 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

And Knight, I love the picture. Is there a full list of all the people in the pic?

Haven't found one thus far.... You should be able to name a good deal of them.

Here's what a five minute count from me yields:

Elizabeth II
Elvis Presley
Mao Zedong
Joseph Stalin
Karl Marx
Abe Lincoln
Teddy Roosevelt
Mozart
Marilyn Monroe
Che Guevara
Gandhi
Winston Churchill
Bruce Lee
Adolf Hitler
Vladimir Lenin
Charlie Chaplin
Bill Clinton
Charles de Gaulle
Saddam Hussein
Audrey Hepburn
Pele
Mike Tyson
Genghis Khan
Michael Jordan
Mikhail Gorbachev
Prince Charles
Julius Caesar
Fidel Castro
Marlon Brando
Napoleon Bonaparte
Mother Teresa
Yasser Arafat
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

hmmm.... historical figure. the beatles maybe are up there.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

He stated that the ruler can do whatever he wants provided it is for the benefit for the people, and not himself.

Machiavelli also stated that behind closed doors, a prince is free to do whatever he pleases, so long as it doesn't destroy is public image.
Machiavelli's idea of a ruler was one that cared for his people, but at the same time was uncompassionate, and aloof, the Prince's primary concern is to stay in power everything else be ****ed. Once I find the piece, I'll provide a title and if possible a link.

My favorite would have to be Mohandas Gandhi, he was one of the facilitators of the peaceful protest, and inspired many great men and women to follow in his footsteps bringing freedom to themselves. In addition to my knowledge even with the power he wielded he never overstepped his bounds, I have doubt that he could've chosen to become president or even install a puppet government in India, however he chose to retain his humble lifestyle, and simply for that action he has my greatest respect.
LazyOne
LazyOne
166 posts
Nomad

I'd like to add some more:
Nietzsche, Marx, Schrödinger, Brueghel...
Many more.

hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

I really like Abraham Lincoln. But only for the cool hat and beard.(Freeing the slaves is a nice by-product).

TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Machiavelli also stated that behind closed doors, a prince is free to do whatever he pleases, so long as it doesn't destroy is public image.
Machiavelli's idea of a ruler was one that cared for his people, but at the same time was uncompassionate, and aloof, the Prince's primary concern is to stay in power everything else be ****ed. Once I find the piece, I'll provide a title and if possible a link.

Yeah, I know he wasn't the greatest guy. But don't destroy my idealistic view of him! He's my favorite! DX
Just kidding, of course.
Akartje10
Akartje10
38 posts
Nomad

Tupac Shakure

Greatest rapper ever he made the rap music great

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

justin beiber. Thanks to him I know EXACTLY what NOT to do, and what time not to do it.

Really helped me in life.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Gr8est, that may have made an epic point and I sort of agree with it, but JUSTIN BEIBER IS YOUR FAVORITE HISTORIC FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have to mention Jefferson Davis (I'm not a rascist!). He did the exact same thing as George Wahington and the fathers of America for the same reason as them.
I also have to mention Robert E. Lee. He was a chivalrous gentleman and he was offered the position of commanding the Union Army by Lincoln himself, the position Grant was later given. He instead chose to stay loyal to his state and principles by seceeding to the Southern Generalhood. Grant greatly admired Lee and spent a good bit of time talking about it at Appomottax. After the war, he was devoted to peace and reunification of America.
Then there is Grant. He is less chivalrous than Lee and far less formal, but he is no less loyal nor honorable than him, albiet to country in lieu of state. In the surrender, he gave very good conditions to Lee that he gladly accepted.

These were truly great men that defined the era of greatest turmoil in American history. Both sides had their reasons and both were well justified.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

justin beiber. Thanks to him I know EXACTLY what NOT to do, and what time not to do it. Really helped me in life.

Ah geez, what kind of ****tarded decision is that? There are better examples of how not to destroy your life.
aloogaloogaloo
aloogaloogaloo
15 posts
Nomad

tupac shakur (akartje10 and me think alike + hes dead, therefore hisctorical so it counts) and newton isaac because without him we wouldnt have gravity and momentum and his second law

sovietnazikilla
sovietnazikilla
11 posts
Nomad

my answer would be Joeseph Stalin because my grandpa was a USSR sgt in ww2 he told me about him.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

Stalin killed millions of people....

TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Stalin killed millions of people....

That's very true, but he did contribute a lot to ending WWII. The Russian casualties were the most extensive, even more than the Germans, sadly enough.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

My favorite would have to be Eugene V. Debs. His dedication to helping the working class is legendary, to put a long story short.

And although this is something of a contradiction, I've always respected Andrew Carnegie. He made his own fortune; he started with absolutely nothing. I believe he was the one who came up with the idea of horizontal and vertical integration. Now that's just genius.

newton isaac

*Isaac Newton
Showing 16-30 of 50