The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernFavorite Historical Figure?

50 9939
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Call me a nerd, but I'm really curious.

Here are some questions to get the ball rolling.

1. Whom do you admire?
2. Why do you admire him/her?
3. What do you wish to say to him/her if you two met?
4. What do you think is his/her greatest accomplishment?
5. Any miscellaneous facts about that historical figure that we may not know about?

• 50 Replies
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

It's still crazy to think of him as a positive figure... he stopped hitler, but surely not because he thought he was evil and he wanted to save people, he did it for interest... Actually he was even allied with hitler at the beginning, Germany broke the pact.
Also I haven't understood the people who said Julius Caesar. Just because he was a good commander? He killed every form of democracy of Rome.

TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Also I haven't understood the people who said Julius Caesar. Just because he was a good commander? He killed every form of democracy of Rome.

He made some very good reforms. He was an excellent leader, actually, and led Rome to many victories. The reason he was killed was because the Senate was jealous of his power.
gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

and led Rome to many victories.

Victories... Stalin and hitler led their countries to many victories too.
The reason he was killed was because the Senate was jealous of his power.

Sure, as usual the oligarchs don't want to lose their power, but an oligarchy is still better than a dictatorship. And caesar's dictatorship prepared the country to the empire, that failed most of the times except for august few others.
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

Julius made a lot of positive reforms that benefited the Roman people. I'm not saying he's better than a republic, but he deserves to be on here as an admired historical figure.

Augustus was a pretty good caesar...I mean he got Rome to the Pax Romana, 200 years of peace.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Sure, the Roman Republic was a shining example of democracy. By the way, he wasn't the one that started breaking the wall down. Of course I admire him for his superb skill in warfare and his political ingenuity. I'll admire Alexander the Great just because he was such a legendary commander.

Victories... Stalin and hitler led their countries to many victories too.

Putting Julius Caesar and Stalin in the same basket is an awful oversimplification. Romans weren't exactly kind though. By the way, Caesar didn't lose as Hitler did.

Sure, as usual the oligarchs don't want to lose their power, but an oligarchy is still better than a dictatorship. And caesar's dictatorship prepared the country to the empire, that failed most of the times except for august few others.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

But can you really blame him? Look at where he lived.

fighter23
fighter23
395 posts
Nomad

Nikola Tesla; without him in our cities the phonewires would blackout the sun... I blame Thomas Edison, he was more a bussiness man then inventor. He also ripped Tesla off by saying he would give him one million dollars for one of Tesla's invention, but he never gave him the money. Thanks Tesla for AC.

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

Napoleon Bonaparte. I like how he bought glory to the French.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I blame Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison was not the kindest person, but give him credit where it is due.

I've always respected Andrew Carnegie

An admirable man.
ninjaboy5432
ninjaboy5432
19 posts
Nomad

My favorite historic figure is Winston Churchill.

007TheOne
007TheOne
55 posts
Nomad

, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour.

as quoted by Sir Winston Churchill in his This was their fineset hour speech delivered to the House of Commons on the 18 June 1940.
Quirinus1
Quirinus1
157 posts
Shepherd

I admire:

Military leaders
Gaius Julius Caesar
Napoleon Bonaparte
Erwin Rommel
Richard I of England
Alexander the Great

Politicians
Ronald Reagan
Octavianus Julius Caesar
Pope John Paul II
[though I have stepped out of the Catholic Church]

Actors

Jeremy Irons [favorite actor]
Bruno Ganz [as Hitler in Der Untergang
Eva Green [I mean: cmon, how can you NOT love her?]

Artists and musicians is too changing for me to say with certainty

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Ronald Reagan

Hell yeah.

As much as I don't want to say it, and as much as I know you ALL will hate it, you gotta admire Justin Beiber's perseverance. I mean, 95% of the world hates him, and the last 5% are idiots and 10 year-old-girls who have a crush on him.
ragnaroka
ragnaroka
27 posts
Nomad

I also favorite Nikola Tesla.
He supposedly created a fuel-free car, energy efficient lightbulbs that were powered by a wireless source, and many other inventions that were NEVER approved. His inventions would bring us about 30 years into the future in technology.
His inventions weren't improved because the oil and energy companies were worried they would lose profit because of his inventions.
His last invention, in which he kept secret, was rumored to be a machine that tapped into the energy source of the Universe. Before he finished it, he was "mysteriously" killed.

Oh, and he has awesome facial hair. Epic.

ragnaroka
ragnaroka
27 posts
Nomad

His inventions weren't improved because the oil and energy companies were worried they would lose profit because of his inventions.

Typo. It's supposed to be his inventions weren't APPROVED because the oil and energy companies were worried they would lose profit because of his inventions.
Showing 31-45 of 50