The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe Tavernwhich one is worse for your health #2

27 3098
ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

1 smoking (cigeretts)

or

2 drinking (excessively)

• 27 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

If you drink too much you can get into a coma.

Cigarettes are bad if you do them for a long time.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Cigarette smoking is definitely worse than drinking alcohol. Cigarettes are addictive, but alcohol is not as addictive. I have actually heard that second-hand smoke is also dangerous, so smoking doesn't just affect the smoker.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Cigarette smoking is definitely worse than drinking alcohol.

Smoking a few cigarettes isn't as bad as drinking a lot of alcohol.
nemo12
nemo12
723 posts
Nomad

I have to agree strongly with Pat. Nicotine is very addictive and will cause tar buildup in your lungs reletively in a short perid of time. Alcohol will also cause many bad stuff but it is spread over a long time. It is a certainty that excessively, it will corrode your liver.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

so smoking doesn't just affect the smoker

Nor does the actions of an intoxicated person.

In most cases, I'd say smoking's more dangerous than drinking, but some people are more dangerous while drunk than second hand smoke could ever be. So, yeah, smoking's more dangerous than drinking, with a few exceptions. IMO, that is.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Alcohol will also cause many bad stuff but it is spread over a long time. It is a certainty that excessively, it will corrode your liver.

I have an older friend that got into a week coma for excessively drinking. He was depressed at the time.

I'd say they are both bad, but drinking can kill you quicker, hurt you faster and when intoxicated you never know what'll happen.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It's kind of a given that you smoke a lot, because it's addicting.

It differs from people. Some people can smoke it then quit it, and some are too dependent on it.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

It differs from people. Some people can smoke it then quit it, and some are too dependent on it.

There are medications to help people quit smoking. Often, willpower is not enough to quit smoking, but sometimes it is.
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

I think smoking is more addictive than drinking, so i think smoking is worse

SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

Well, they are both bad.

Smoking is much more addictive in my opinion. While it won't kill you quickly, it tears you apart over time. Oftentimes, both will power and medications can't break the cycle... I know of a lot of accounts where the smoker quit because of something very important in his life. My friend's grandpa for exapmle:
Willpower and medication were not enough with the incentive of: I want to quit smoking, so I don't die I the future. When my friend was born, his mom told her dad (his grandpa) that he could not EVER be near him unless he quit smoking. Now it is: quit smoking so I can spend time with my grandson.

Second hand smoke is really bad too, some say even worse. Second hand smokers inhale and take in the harmful smoke, wile smokers tend to not inhale or not inhale as much of it.

Now drinking: It can kill you fast, and when intoxicated, your a moron beyond belief.
As for danger to others, you should have the common sense to not get in a car with a drunk person at the wheel, unless, you too, are intoxicated.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I say they both have the ability to kill you. but for most addictive, they are kind of equal.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Second hand smoke is really bad too, some say even worse.

That's something that I don't understand. The smoker is smoking the cigarette, blowing it out, then breathing that air. So the smoker would have it worse.
I say they both have the ability to kill you.

Drinking a mass amount of alcohol in a single day can kill you. But smoking a lot of cigarettes in a day will not. It takes time for cigarettes to kill you.
but for most addictive, they are kind of equal.

I suppose so. Some people get addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes and some get addicted to alcohol.

Also, alcohol is a depressant, so that's bad as well.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

That's something that I don't understand. The smoker is smoking the cigarette, blowing it out, then breathing that air. So the smoker would have it worse.

I'm sorry matrix, but, no, no no!
You kind of answered your on question, the smoker blows it back out, as you just said.
The victim, would generally inhale the smoke, and not exhale, unless you are physically holding your breath or what-not to avoid it. Plus, it is not as concentrated, so I suppose it would be harder to get rid of.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I'm sorry matrix, but, no, no no!
You kind of answered your on question, the smoker blows it back out, as you just said.
The victim, would generally inhale the smoke, and not exhale, unless you are physically holding your breath or what-not to avoid it. Plus, it is not as concentrated, so I suppose it would be harder to get rid of.

Two people are in a car with closed windows. One of them lights a cigarette then starts smoking, the other one isn't smoking. He's the one that deals with the second-hand smoke. The smoker is smoking and breathing that air. The other person is just sitting there breathing the smoke air instead of smoking the cigarette.
The smoker has it worse than the person that's not smoking. They are both breathing the smoke air, but one of them is actually smoking a cigarette while the other one is not.
SupaLegit
SupaLegit
644 posts
Nomad

You just put us into another scenario, no ventilation. They both have it equally bad in my opinion, now.

Interesting facts, courtesy of the Mayo Clinic.

Secondhand smoke contains over 4000 chemicals including more than 40 cancer causing agents and 200 known poisons.
Secondhand smoke has been classified by the EPA as a Class A carcinogen - a substance known to cause cancer in humans.
Secondhand smoke contains twice as much tar and nicotine per unit volume as does smoke inhaled from a cigarette. It contains 3X as much cancer-causing Benzedrine, 5X as much carbon monoxide, and 50X as much ammonia. Secondhand smoke from pipes and cigars is equally as harmful, if not more so (Mayo Clinic release, Aug 97).
Showing 1-15 of 27