The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernFree Running

23 4137
Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

I love free running (but im not good at it) so itll be cool if you could post some videos of you free running. (or some fails are cool too.) Anyways, you can chat about it and share tips and stuff. Im gonna go down to my park nearby and try some stuff.

• 23 Replies
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

this right here

is some great stuff. i want to go free running at this place SOOOOOOO bad

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

I plan on picking up free running as soon as my doc okays it. Good training for the strength is eith Tai Chi or any sort of Martial Arts, not extensive though.

deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

Looks dangerous and completely awesome! But sadly I don't think I can do it were I live. I would either get rammed by a motorcycle (some idiots drive on the sidewalks) or some stores would throw fruit at me for accidentally destroying there merchandise. And I can imagine a hole lot of other scenarios.

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

grins.. I just went down to my park and tried some stuff, (and it turned out okay) but i landed in a giant pile of spikey burs on one of my last runs.Ouch.. they're all over mysk8boarding jacket

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I have always liked parkour more than free running because it's actually useful.

Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

im new to it.. Isnt it the same thing, parkour and free running?

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

im new to it.. Isnt it the same thing, parkour and free running?

Nope. Parkour is trying to get from one place to the next in the fastest way possible. Free running is trying to do it in the coolest way possible (flips and other tricks). Also, parkour was made to be uncompetitive and free running sometimes is.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

One of the important side-effects of parkour as opposed to free-running is that parkour is a lot softer on the joints, because the philosophy is so focused on conserving momentum.

Unless you're as strong as Damien Walters, who, it appears, took his tumbling experience and put free running up a level. Which demonstrates the other difference: even though both require you to literally think on your feet, parkour is more about a canon of select techniques proven to improve efficiency. Free-running evolves and to be and remain the best requires progressively being stronger, more skilled, and more daring.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Which is why parkour is much better.

sambam
sambam
452 posts
Nomad

Both parkour and free running require an eminence amount of physical strength and ability... I don't think I will ever be able to do most of the stunts.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Better? I would say just different. I've been prone to do both in the same run depending on what I feel like. Good skill comes in being able to conserve your joints while flipping as well- flipping is great for muscle conditioning if you're good enough.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Have you ever seen a ninja free run?
--yes
Have you ever seen a ninja practice parkour?
--no

Point proven.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Have you ever seen a ninja free run?
--yes
Have you ever seen a ninja practice parkour?
--no

I have never seen a ninja at all but free running won't help them so i would think they would do parkour (besides the fact that parkour was invented in france hundreds of years later)
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Point proven.

I'm still trying to work out what point this was trying to prove <_<

(besides the fact that parkour was invented in france hundreds of years later)

Hold your horses there!

Parkour was a specific term applied to one man's conception of momentum conservation in human kinetics. As something to hang your hat on it has become well known as a cultural icon.

However surely the art of efficient running across tricky terrain has existed in different cultures for much longer than the past few years. Which is why I'd qualify using the word "invented" there.
TackyCrazyTNT
TackyCrazyTNT
1,936 posts
Peasant

I just tried practing some simple parkour....vaults and precision jumps and all that...I think I need to practice more. XD

Showing 1-15 of 23