The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernImages: relevant or Non relevant

34 4041
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Me and Patrick have been having a slight argument on the relevence of images throughout a topic, and whether or not it is right to post these images if the image only is relevant to only a portion of that users post. I'll post are discussion so far below.

-----------------------------------

Me: Well,you quoted a division by zero.

Him: Get to the point rather than criticize me for allegedly dividing by zero!

Me: Image Spam is the best, especially in this section.

Him: You are completely wrong. Image spam is bad.

Anyway, you get a 1/10 for continuing to post image spam.

In case of ninja, this is at Krizaz.

Me: I'm gonna ask a mod (never did) if an image is appropriate when relevant to the topic, which all images have been. Even the cowboy one.

Him: The answer to the first part of your post is probably yes as long as you don't spam them. As for the images posted, it is up to the moderators to determine an image's relevance, not you or me. I simply called them spam because I think that they're irrelevant.

Me: But how is it irrelevant if I can back up why I posted the image with a quote or stating myself why I posted it. If my logic is correct, than your statement is invalid and you are contradicting yourself.

Him: Your argument is futile because it ultimately comes down to the mods/admins. In fact, I flagged each image from you other than the ninja because I thought that it was irrelevant and therefore spammy.

Me: But you fail to realize that each image had it's reason to be up there. I was not posting an image for the sake of posting an image (hint: I was), and even if I did it was all relevant. I'm creating a topic for this so we can get some posting count credit.
-----------------------------------------

So you see, were at a bit of a spilt point. And we need your input to tell us what is right, and to see what the problem is refer to the topic 'how much respect do you have for this user' and look for pages 367-370.
------------------------------------------

Obviously, I think that I can post an image as long as it is a bit relevant and you pout your reason for posting that image, as I did. Although Patrick disagrees, and I cannot tell if he thinks it is wrong to post an image at all or if you should have more text to post an image.

Your input is welcome.

• 34 Replies
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

By just mentioning the 'serf' thing, you have just brought it up and now made everyone focus on that instead of the thing at hand. Relative input.

nemo12
nemo12
723 posts
Nomad

stfu,surf imitator!

I feel the burns, your flaming is too much.

Sry, But this thread kinda makes no sense but Ill play along. Images are relevant for they speak louder than words. lol.
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Obviously, I think that I can post an image as long as it is a bit relevant and you pout your reason for posting that image, as I did. Although Patrick disagrees, and I cannot tell if he thinks it is wrong to post an image at all or if you should have more text to post an image.

My opinion:

You can post an image if it's relevant to the topic, as long as the image is not the only thing in the message.

And if anyone thinks otherwise... Well...

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/funny-pictures-owl-wrong.jpg
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Images are relevant for they speak louder than words.

Not all of them. Besides, it depends on what the image is and what the topic is. Therefore, it is wrong to say that.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Well, I have an owl (from iMogwai's image)

Having an owl doesn't automatically make an image relevant.
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

And if anyone thinks otherwise... Well...

If Patrick saw that, he would ask something along the lines of:

How does an owl relate to whether something is wrong or not?

... Well, it's true.
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Not all of them. Besides, it depends on what the image is and what the topic is. Therefore, it is wrong to say that.

A picture is worth a thousand words
So yes, unless you will type a thousand word essay on a picture. It is easier to find out what an argument or topic is with a picture, it is also used used a an indicator. So... all pictures are relevant if you can provide support.
idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

Shoot, I got ninja'd.

But I guess that's not such a bad thing, because it proved me right.

Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Some images are - some aren't...

The rule of thumb: if it adds to the post, go ahead. If it doesn't then it's useless...

If you're not sure, then that would mean that if you left it out you'd be fine.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

So... all pictures are relevant if you can provide support.

Support is not a legalizer. It only works if it is right and relevant.
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Support is not a legalizer. It only works if it is right and relevant.

If the support is from an quote from your post, or anthers post, it would be completely relevant to the topic and therefore belongs int he topic.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

If the support is from an quote from your post, or anthers post, it would be completely relevant to the topic and therefore belongs int he topic.

A quote is only proper support if the quote is relevant. Therefore, if you quote something spammy, it is not support for an image.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Just STFU,surf imitator.

Let's not jump to conclusions, but:

1) This is like the surf thing because it has multiple threads relating to it.
2) This is like the surf thing because it is a debate.
3) This is different because it's about the relevance of images rather than about serf vs surf.

Therefore, this thread does not deserve an STFU.
Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

A quote is only proper support if the quote is relevant. Therefore, if you quote something spammy, it is not support for an image.

If you quote something somebody else said, then unless that poster declares it spammy, then it is fair game, hence the 'ninja' in the original topic. So unless many people declare it spammy, you can post any relative image that goes along with a certain post. And with the respect topic, the posts change the actual topic being discussed every time, o it is a very flexible topic.
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Having an owl doesn't automatically make an image relevant.

This is not the WEPR. You are allowed to smile every now and then. Having fun is really quite nice. You should try it sometimes.

And about why I posted it, well, it's hard to resist. I think this kitten can say it much better than I can.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/funny-pictures-i-have-needs-too-you-know.jpg

There you have it.

Okay, what I'm doing may be borderline image spam, but basically, my point is that I don't think using images is a bad thing, as long as your message contains enough text to actually be considered a decent post even without the image.

So, if you say enough to make sense, then adding an image is not going to ruin your post, assuming it's not inappropriate... In my opinion, at least.
Showing 1-15 of 34