The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernWhy Do the English have a favourite?

35 4322
DaemonVeril
DaemonVeril
217 posts
Peasant

Well, I've been thinking, "Americans have a pretty easy way of spelling things" (don't quote me on that). And then I go look at a bunch of british vids on youtube and see that they use o and u to make the or sound. So wats the deal?

• 35 Replies
Draconigena
Draconigena
102 posts
Nomad

It has something or other to do with Webster trying to simplify spelling if I remember correctly.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

It has something or other to do with Webster trying to simplify spelling if I remember correctly.

Actually, I think that's just what it is.

Webster, when he made his dictionary, attempted to simplify some of the words, so the dictionary would be more flexible for future generations.

And yes, I would know this, considering it was in my book "How To Spell Like A Champ" while I was studying for the Countywide Spelling Bee.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Fixed the Amerrorcan mistake.

Nobody likes a grammar nazi.

Yes, it was our language first, but we're letting you use it

False. Your are not letting us use it, we took it (and improved it) like we took the country.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

So is it considered american english and british english?

Yes. Those are two dialects of the same language. The individual regions they belong to have much more variety than the "American vs British" grouping suggests. Also remember that an accent mainly refers to differences only in pronunciation, whilst an accent is more different (pronunciation, vocabulary, grammar, etc.).

False. Your are not letting us use it, we took it (and improved it) like we took the country.

Improved? Don't be so subjective.

but we're letting you use it, and we don't want to have to take it back. So don't question it and don't complain about it!

Is that a joke? Tell me it is.. please.
007TheOne
007TheOne
55 posts
Nomad

Why do you spell pants, trousers?
Why do you spell friend, mate?

It's another way of saying it, say, in London they have cockney. Diffent places - different words.

I'm sorry if I have just contridicted everyone.
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

Way to be racist.

"american" isnt a race...... T_T

and im having a hard time understanding what the OP is talking about. can someone elaborate the example hes using?
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

and im having a hard time understanding what the OP is talking about. can someone elaborate the example hes using?

Things that Americans spell with only a O and sometimes be spelled with OU in British English. Such as Favourite and Colour.
Gamingtime
Gamingtime
64 posts
Nomad

Those are the only two examples I can think of.
It annoys the hell out of me when my computer tells me I'm spelling those words wrong.

Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

It's hardly surprising that the Americans developed different spellings of our words, it was the 17th century when we split after all, the language we speak today wasn't completely 'cemented' back then and certain spelling variations were normal from area to area anyway.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Pants and friend are still words, mate.

I was going to say I agree, but then this happened to me. I searched &quotants" on Merriam-Webster.com and it didn't turn up a direct result. Then I typed in pant and got this:

Definition of PANT

1: an outer garment covering each leg separately and usually extending from the waist to the ankle -usually used in plural

2 plural chiefly British : men's underpants

3 plural : pantie

Is the word &quotants" slang? Does the word &quotants" mean underpants in Britain or does the word &quotant" mean underwear in Britain? Is the word &quotants" not the plural form of the word? Is pantie the correct plural form? If so, why do people say &quotanties"?

Back to the original topic. America is a hodgepodge of different languages. There were settlers that came to America from Germany, Spain, Britain, France, etc. I assume the different countries had different influences on the spelling and pronunciation.
http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/english/2005/04/center_or_centr.html This link might help explain what I'm trying to say better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English If you have time to read it, it explains how some words came into the American Lexicon because of Native Americans and the Spanish as well as some other interesting stuff.

http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm
This link shows a bunch of differences in the spellings between American English and British English.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Why did you bold mate? I be trollin, yo.

According to Wikipedia, 'Pants' is used in Australia so I don't really care, most of our language is the same as the Brits and I assumed 'Pants' would be too.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Just one more thing: I don't think they'd call a tracksuit 'trousers' and according to Wikipedia trousers is used as a more formal term in the US.

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

I love an English accent, but I hate how their so elegant in their talking.

Someone told me that their way of talking is more decent than english.

I think "how can those people talk like that its SO annoying.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I love an English accent, but I hate how their so elegant in their talking.

Someone told me that their way of talking is more decent than english.

And that's why australians have the most awesome accent in the world. It's like all the awesome of british accent, with all the indecency of american dialect.
RenegadePlayer
RenegadePlayer
684 posts
Nomad

americans had to go and not use the decimal system cause were assassin's holes like that :P

Showing 16-30 of 35