The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernModerator "nominations" (was: "elections")

39 4769
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

So I had another idea (I'm on a role ).
Okay, this one goes a little something like this; I think that people should be elected to hold the position of a moderator. If someone wants to be a mod, they can go through some process (haven't thought that out yet... maybe they have to have a certain amount of karma or something?) and petition for the title. If enough people think they're fit to be a mod, they get elected.

• 39 Replies
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Why in the world would you do that?

It would be the most popular, not the best leaders. The people who are good leaders might not get liked by people, because more than half the time they are the ones doing a great job. That's like putting AG into the hands of a 5 year old.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

in my honest opinion I think the moderators or the administration should be the ones to offer up people's names.... and not the people sending in an application.

You're not going to be sending an application for someone else, you're going to be sending it for yourself. Like it'll have the sections laid out, then you fill it out and send it to AG. But yes, the administrators and the moderators should/will be the ones that will say if a certain person is moderator material. They may even have a thread for such a thing like throwing names around in the moderator/administrator forum.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

This lag on AG is bothering me, takes a few minutes for my post to come through.

Don't the admins pick mods based on whoever has frequent and good posts, has been on the site a while, tends to help users, yada yada yada, and just ask them? Or do people volunteer?

Aye.
They get asked by an administrator via email, I think, then you have a choice to say yes or no. It is volunteering since you don't get paid, but I don't think any of the current moderators asked to become one by using the contact page.
It would be the most popular, not the best leaders. The people who are good leaders might not get liked by people, because more than half the time they are the ones doing a great job. That's like putting AG into the hands of a 5 year old.

Yeah.
PinkieCake
PinkieCake
163 posts
Nomad

In any case, then, I think the system know has done the site well, taking a look at the mods we have now.
The election has obvious flaws. Admins may vote, if anything, because it is unlikely that they will be biased, but most users probably will be.

mysteriousmexican666
mysteriousmexican666
315 posts
Nomad

They get asked by an administrator via email, I think, then you have a choice to say yes or no. It is volunteering since you don't get paid, but I don't think any of the current moderators asked to become one by using the contact page.
Most of the current moderators have been here since '08, so they probably got "hired" by word of mouth.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

That doesn't mean that they were all modded in 2008. And I don't understand what you mean by 'word of mouth'. Are you implying that they asked to be moderators? I recall reading somewhere that none of them asked to become a moderator.

cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

Generally, people that *ask* to become moderators undergo far more scrutiny than those we already watch and nominate ourselves.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

That is not a good idea. Very few are fit to be a moderator. Some idiot could get elected and ignore some of the rules for his friends and stuff.

cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

Well, xeano, I would see this "election" as being more of a "nomination" than anything. Ultimately, it's still up to the moderator team to unanimously decide if they could work with someone, and then an admin has to agree and upgrade their account.

cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

I'm going to move this to the tavern, since it's not necessarily AG3 related.

jets99
jets99
599 posts
Nomad

that would be an awful idea. there would be to many mods then and some people would break into an over the compputer fight and we dont even need any more mods because the mod staff does a great job right now! and they would have to read all of the nominations and count them and that would waste time wich would delay the release date of AGv3 (possibly)

I agree.

so do I
thecattygrl
thecattygrl
230 posts
Nomad

Elections seem like a good idea but there would have to be standards.

Maybe, the administrators could review who THEY'D like to be moderators and then let the people of AG decide if they like certain people for that title or maybe not so much.

I mean, no sain person, looking for that position, is going to mouth off to an administrator so they may not be the best choice and the adminastators don't even know it.

It's a posibility and maybe not the best one but hey, at least it's out there.

brp47
brp47
580 posts
Peasant

i know of a couple of players who i was very surprised to learn they were not moderators lol so i think that elections yes would be a good idea, but with some admin control. obviously we don't want someone who is voted in then causes havoc or then just quits armorgames. we need some devoted.

darver
darver
189 posts
Nomad

An better idea would be:
You could sign up to be a Moderator on Armor Games then the Administrators would review your application and whatnot then the Moderators would review it then they will decide if the person is qualified to become a Moderator.

I agree with this one. An election wouldn't go well.
cormyn
cormyn
2,891 posts
Nomad

Folks, like I said, the only thing we'd consider, if we went ahead with this idea, is that the users would 'vote' on who to nominate, and then the mods/admins would decide if the person would make a good moderator.

At no time would we ever let users make a final decision on who actually becomes a moderator.

Showing 16-30 of 39