The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe Tavernall these side effects for meds

23 4044
roflcopter117
roflcopter117
94 posts
Nomad

jeez i have a little depression but if i got worse i wouldnt take it for the 100 pages of side effects and other drugs also have 100s of side effects i mean how is somthing helping you with depression when you have a chance to commit suicide

• 23 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

I have always wondered why antidepressants cause suicide.

STROP

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Fun fact: a lot of symptoms of depression are the same as those caused from running outside

Example: fatigue and decreased energy (running around), tearfulness or crying (allergies), strange sleeping habits (going to sleep early because you are tired from running).

It is kind of sad when a commercial takes longer to list the side affects than it does to advertise the product. Though a lot of these side affects may only come up in rare cases and they still have to say it.

ninjaassasin1234
ninjaassasin1234
133 posts
Nomad

fatigue and decreased energy, tearfulness or crying, strange sleeping habits.

Omg, thats exactly what i got!
roflcopter117
roflcopter117
94 posts
Nomad

side effect include, suicide, attemted suicide, stroke, heart attack, lung cancer, glawcoma, death,spamming in a forum, being a noob, more death, e******* lasting 4 hours,fatuige,and many more sor talk to your doctor about the not dieing pill.

TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

Fun fact: a lot of symptoms of depression are the same as those caused from running outside

That is REALLY weird.
DaemonVeril
DaemonVeril
217 posts
Peasant

You know that is pretty strange. It's also funny though that the side affects are sometimes worse than what you have.

roflcopter117
roflcopter117
94 posts
Nomad

exactly whats trying to help you from depression can kill you from depression

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

I have always wondered why antidepressants cause suicide.

Is it wrong that I laughed at that?

Yeah, I love how in the commercials for drugs they peacefully list off these morbid side effects while playing relaxing music. You guys won't distract me. Seriously, they go on for virtually forever with all sorts of crap. This is why I'd rarely take medication.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

It seems to me in most cases it's easier, not to mention safer to deal with whatever issue you have then take the medicine.

Is it just me or is it counter productive having an antidepressant that causes suicidal thoughts?

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

If laughing at that is wrong, I don't want to be right.

You don't realize what happens every time you get a perscription filled. I am 18 and graduating in a little over a week from now. I am soon to be fully certified as a Pharmacy Technician. I will be the person that fills your perscriptions and makes your IV infusions. I haven't even started college yet and they trust me with all of your pills and drugs. Think about that next time you go to a pharmacy.

jets99
jets99
599 posts
Nomad

symptoms may include

suicide, attempt of suicide, drowieness, fatigue, death, kidney failure, stroke, heart failure,... the list goes on and on and on and on and on

RaijaRadiance
RaijaRadiance
72 posts
Nomad

Those are possible side effects. The right medicine in the right dosage causes only minor side-effects, if any. There's roughly a 50% chance that the prescribed antidepressant is going to be suited for the individual, and since getting into that right spot involves mostly trial-and-error, this process can take a long time for some unfortunate ones. Strong supervision during the period of adjustment to the new medicine is enough to keep things from going horribly wrong due to the side effects.

They don't air AD commercials in my country, so that explains some of the differences in public opinions here and there.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

I will be the person that fills your perscriptions and makes your IV infusions. I haven't even started college yet and they trust me with all of your pills and drugs. Think about that next time you go to a pharmacy.

Because your certification also grants you a grave responsibility (one that I'm surprised an 18yo is granted, frankly.) If you screw up, you are likely to be criminally liable, and unlike fully qualified health professionals, you will probably not be covered by a union defense organisation, meaning you will likely suffer the full brunt of the law unless you have access to a very expensive lawyer. Think about that when dispensing and formulating!

I had a post all typed out by request, and then my connection got reset and I lost it D:

Let's try that again.

First things first, I'm obligated to include a disclaimer: none of what I am posting here is in my professional capacity.

As far as I know, in the US it's an FDA regulation that makes reporting every known potential side-effect of a medication mandatory, thus extending the length of an advert to twice its original size.

This legal obligation technically covers everything known, which is to say that some kind of causation or association has been firmly established. There are criteria for this, the main ones being an established continuum that correlates the drug with the effect temporally, which is ideally reproducible. That said, to attempt to reproduce serious side-effects of drugs is unethical.

The side-effect profile of a drug is stratified into common, uncommon and rare. For example, for a common antidepressant like fluoxetine (Prozac), weight-gain and drowsiness is a common side-effect. (Funny how lethargy is a symptom of depression and the pill that stabilises it often causes worse lethargy). Suicide ideation is a rare side-effect. There are some hypotheses on why it does happen, for example related to motivation (people with major depressive disorder generally aren't motivated), but I can't comment on their validity as I don't know.

The difficulty with antidepressants and similar medications is that until recently, they were approved for use on an empirical basis. That is to say that it was 'discovered' that they worked for a purpose, and on the basis of that they were recommended and marketed. This is as opposed to a rational development, which is where the mechanism of action of a drug is understood and known, and subsequent generations of drugs are developed with specific goals in mind (for example, antibiotics are pretty much entirely rationally developed). The biochemistry and neuropsychiatry of behaviour isn't particularly well understood as of yet, the rational development of psychiatric drugs only truly beginning with the relatively recent clozapine (for schizophrenia), and the newer generation stuff. You can tell when somebody started their antidepressants etc. because of the age of the drug they were put on, but because of the empirical nature of treatment in that time, it's unwise to change them if the drug happens to be working and the side-effects tolerable, because, well, better the devil you know, than the devil you don't.

In short: the advertised side effects for those medications are scary because the list is long. You won't necessarily be affected by all, many, some or even any of them, but there is always a risk associated with taking just about any medication, and it's a legal requirement in the States to declare all of them in an advertisement (but not in Australia!) Furthermore, the commonly used psychiatric drugs are actually pretty mysterious and only now is knowledge beginning to catch up with accepted usage.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Because your certification also grants you a grave responsibility (one that I'm surprised an 18yo is granted, frankly.) If you screw up, you are likely to be criminally liable, and unlike fully qualified health professionals, you will probably not be covered by a union defense organisation, meaning you will likely suffer the full brunt of the law unless you have access to a very expensive lawyer. Think about that when dispensing and formulating!

Yeah, I realize that. Actually, as a Pharm Tech you can get unionized and all of that. I believe it was in Arkansas that several people died from blood poisoning because the proper aseptic tencnique wasn't used when they were making IVs. That was a certified RN with several years of schooling. Even with all those laminar flow hoods and stuff, people still make mistakes. Hopefully I can make it through colledge and get my Physics degree without killing anybody...

Suicide ideation is a rare side-effect. There are some hypotheses on why it does happen, for example related to motivation (people with major depressive disorder generally aren't motivated), but I can't comment on their validity as I don't know.

Thanks Strop. So your theory is suicide isn't suggested by the drug, it just makes them more likely to get off their ***** and do it?
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

@dragonblaze

How does being a farm tech pay?

Showing 1-15 of 23