The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernOnly in English...

41 4934
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

can a house burn up as it burns down, can one fill out a form by filling it in. If a vegetarian eats only vegetables, than what does a humanitarian eat?

The English language is one of the hardest languages for foreigners to learn because it is SO DARN SCREWY!!!

• 41 Replies
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Knight and Master fail.

@Knight's wall of randomness, my ***** scratched me and the cut became *****.

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Believe me master, when you're bilingual you'd get it. All word mix-ups like this are categorized as the same. Besides, it's basically means the same thing to people who only speak one language too.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

The difference is that here, its two different words with counter intuitive meanings.

The same could be said for everything Knight posted, aye?
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Believe me master, when you're bilingual you'd get it. All word mix-ups like this are categorized as the same. Besides, it's basically means the same thing to people who only speak one language too.

I do get it, i've heard the joke a million times before. You don't get how its not its not the same thing.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

In response to Pazx and Paarfam.

The opening poster wasn't lamenting puns, he was complaining about the apparent contradictions in some terms used in English.

One pun = multiple meanings for a humourous effect.
OP's complaint: different yet related terms with counter-intuitive meanings.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

The opening poster wasn't lamenting puns, he was complaining about the apparent contradictions in some terms used in English.

So your second post was completely off topic?
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

So your second post was completely off topic?

It was a comment on your previous post. If you're going to be a moron, don't say that Master and I are over analytic.
Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

Took me about 5 Years to get down. After that its a matter of Adding to your Vocabulary. I guess it was easier for me cuz Im English.

Nathol
Nathol
4 posts
Nomad

If you think English is hard, try learning German. Or better yet, Russian or Chinese!

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Pssh. I'm fluent in English, Spanish, and I know a few hundred French phrases. ujelly?

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

The reason English can be so confusing? Because it was formed from so many different languages. (Latin, Germanic, Hebrew, etc.) These original languages can eventually run together, making said "contradictions" and such in English.

Ex. Knight's "The bandage was wound around the wound."

Let's take it one step at a time. We'll start with the first "wound." That evolved from a series of languages. At the core, it comes from the Latin "Viere", "to twist/plait/weave." That evolved into the modern "wind" and "wound." Now for the second "wound." It evolved into modern English from Old English "wund", evolving into wound. So from languages evolving into English, they simply happened to "run together" a bit.

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

Am I the only one who got this joke?

No.
However, that joke isn't actually correct. In the case of pro/con, con comes from the Latin "contra", meaning "against." However, with the case of con(gress), con comes from the Latin "***," meaning "with."

(In case the second Latin word doesn't come up, take "cam", and replace the "a" with "u".)
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Meh... in French there are words with different spellings meaning different things, yet all have the same pronunciation: ver=worm, verre=glass, vert=green, vers=line(noun) or towards(preposition), vair=vair(?)... but I'm pretty sure there are no words written the same way that mean different things, at least I can't think of any right now. Some of the things you posted here are quite funny^^

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Well, the English language is really based off of Old and Middle Latin and Greek dialects, so if you learn prefixes and suffixes it is a lot easier to read. The questions you asked at the beginning were more riddles than anything else, and its not often that you will hear someone speaking like that on a regular basis. The sentence structure of the English language is a lot different from other languages, and we Americans have a tendency to misplace nouns and pronouns skewing the meanings of the words and phrases. Knowing that I grew up speaking English, I have to say I dont find it that hard, but honestly i think Spanish and German are easy to learn and their meanings and structures are much more literal.

jets99
jets99
599 posts
Nomad

I guess I never thought about this. And English is the hardest language to learn cuz there are so mny words and exceptions

Why do you shut up, but quiet down?

Shuts don't go up. Only gas prices do. lol
Showing 16-30 of 41