The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernOnly in English...

41 4932
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

can a house burn up as it burns down, can one fill out a form by filling it in. If a vegetarian eats only vegetables, than what does a humanitarian eat?

The English language is one of the hardest languages for foreigners to learn because it is SO DARN SCREWY!!!

• 41 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Why do you shut up, but quiet down?

I guess because you have to shut your lower jaw up in order to be quiet, but calm down (lower your energy) to do so?
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

Knowing that I grew up speaking English, I have to say I dont find it that hard, but honestly i think Spanish and German are easy to learn and their meanings and structures are much more literal.

i really agree with you. i grew up knowing german and hebrew. i think german and spanish are very easy to learn. english isnt that hard really. you usually understand what people want from you even if your not familiar with some phrases. english isnt a hard language and there are languages that are much harder. for example hebrew is very difficult and i think i wouldnt be able to learn it if i didnt know it already.
indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

Spanish is a good language to know.

Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Knowing that I grew up speaking English, I have to say I dont find it that hard, but honestly i think Spanish and German are easy to learn and their meanings and structures are much more literal.

English was easy.
Spanish was easier.
I'm still learning French. It's okay so far.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,365 posts
Nomad

No body cares about that really,...

:'[

That is why English is more simple than Latin, because we do not use cuss words for good words.

1. Have you studied Latin? Not that simple. It is actually rather fun, though.
2. English took the word come, then misspelled it on purpose, and made it vulgar. It never was vulgarity in Latin.
Paarfam
Paarfam
1,558 posts
Nomad

Latin is pretty fun, but I just do not have the time to study it.

indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

Picking up random phrases in another language from reading random books is entertaining.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

In the case of the preposition cum: garage-***-workshop. I use it occasionally, but some people don't get it.. or they think of vulgarity.

2. English took the word come, then misspelled it on purpose, and made it vulgar. It never was vulgarity in Latin.

English speakers.

2. We at least spread the american way, to be vulgar.

It doesn't necessarily stem from America, just because it's vulgar. I'm pretty sure people were already using profanity in Shakespearean England.
Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

It doesn't necessarily stem from America, just because it's vulgar. I'm pretty sure people were already using profanity in Shakespearean England.

Like what, Although me and my friends got a Laugh out of Julius Caesar When I think Cassius says a lion Glazed Upon him.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Like what,

Since I'm too lazy to go and cite crap, I'll just say it here. Despite the differences in what we consider profane and what once was, I'm quite sure words such as f*** and c*** have existed for quite a while. Even if they weren't taboo words..

My original point (in response to Calvin) was that applying a blanket statement on vulgarity being the American way is a bad idea. A better argument is that there are profane words in all languages and swearing isn't unique to one country.
Showing 31-40 of 41