ForumsThe TavernI said wouldn't do it again but....

17 4693
chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

I went and made another thread to ask opinions and constructive criticism of my desktop and a few other things. Also ask me whatever questions you feel like asking and just talk about desktops/customization in general.
Desktop
Custom Firefox
Custom Full Glass Command Prompt, Task Manager, and Explorer

Yea...

• 17 Replies
Microe
Microe
842 posts
Nomad

Looks like garbage, its way too complicated. I don't spend that much time on my pc.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Well the desktop is pretty awesome with the black and the blue. Also its organized pretty good, at least in my opinion. The Firefox I liked less simply because it seemed overcrowded. Thats just me. The others all look fine and dandy to me.

indie55
indie55
610 posts
Nomad

There are too many items on Firefox. I would recommend just having the ones that you use the most.

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

There are too many items on Firefox. I would recommend just having the ones that you use the most.

I actually agree with that, its just that everything I have is on there is necessary and I forgot to clear some stuff off before taking the screenshot, that is my fault.
Looks like garbage, its way too complicated. I don't spend that much time on my pc.

I respect your opinion, I would probably be able to come up with something less complicated that you would probably like, and as far as spending time on it, it is actually something that I enjoy. Modding, designing, etc. is sort of a hobby of mine, and something I have go to competitions for before. Its just something I enjoy doing, but I can understand if its not something you are interested in.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Wow. Chang, I have to say, that's a very nice desktop. How do you do that with Windows, anyway?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

The 3rd screenshot shows AVG, but everything is so cool.

indie55
indie55
610 posts
Nomad

The color scheme was very nice.
The font is cool (what is it?) but, I'm not sure if this is just the picture or not, seems somewhat more difficult to read than more contemporary fonts.
I also like your taskbar.

candyman222
candyman222
59 posts
Nomad

every thing is good do not put a bunch of things together it will make it slower

indie55
indie55
610 posts
Nomad

What are the computer specs?

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Wow. Chang, I have to say, that's a very nice desktop. How do you do that with Windows, anyway?

Well its a long story
To put it simply I used a program to remove restrictions that prevented Windows 7 from using third-party themes or visual styles. Then I installed a third party visual style made Razorsedge (someone from a website called Virtual Customs)
Then for the full glass effect on firefox I used a stylish script made by Moonrique (Think I said that right, off of the same website)
Then for the full glass effect on everything else I used a program called Black Glass enhanced, and added the processes for Task Manager (taskmgr.exe), Explorer (explorer.exe), and Command Prompt (cmd.exe)
The object dock is also a custom style that I installed.

That is the short version, all of it is basically just modifying system files, dll's etc. and yes it voids your warranty with Microsoft I do believe

What are the computer specs?

Compaq Presario CQ61 Win 7 64-bit, AMD Turion II Dual Core Mobile M500 @ 2.20 GHz, 3.00 Gb Ram, AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, made by HP
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

The computers specs made me laugh, sorry, but I just got a new one, and it's all super hardcore(until tomorrow)

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

The colors are nice, but dude, have you heard of downsizing? I mean, how do you find anything on your Firefox?

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Your desktop looks swell Chang. My favorite part is the slick colour scheme. To name a con, your Firefox browser looks cluttered. I wouldn't mind it, so long lag isn't an issue. I enjoy the flexibility of having everything in front of you. Though I do know some people prefer streamlined simplicity.

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

The computers specs made me laugh, sorry, but I just got a new one, and it's all super hardcore(until tomorrow)

No I know what you mean, I don't really have a very good computer when my last one died it was sort of an unexpected thing so it had to be cheap.
And as for my firefox being cluttered I agree with that, its just everything I have necessary....I wouldn't mind it being less cluttered, I might try and work on that...
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

My critique.

First image.

Your text is in permanent CAPS LOCK, and digital with a neon blue that hurts the eyes.

You have saved applications to the bottom bar. For me, that just gets in the way of applications I currently have open.

There are monitors to things that shouldn't matter to you in the long run, like CPU usage (if it's slow, you know it's slow), and current hard-drive memory.

There is a notepad in the bar at top.... just right click the desktop for that, man.

Too many installed programs, more than I'd ever use.

You left the 'options' icon there in the dock-bar at the top, not really aesthetically pleasing if that's what you're after.

Second image.

You use Firefox, yet you have chrome in your dock-bar on the first image.

It isn't updated to FF4.

Four toolbars too many. You didn't delete the 'Getting Started' bookmark? I don't even show bookmarks unless I'm in a new tab.

Glowing text is hard-to-read text.

You have an 'Awesome Screenshot' extension. All you have to do it hit PrntScrn, open it in an image editor and paste.

Third image.

Glass is cool if you want a slow computer and like being distracted by fuzzy background text.

AVG isn't even in your notifications only?

Sacrificing speed for inefficiency and okay-ish looks isn't for me.

Whatever happened to simplicity?

Showing 1-15 of 17