ForumsThe TavernPiercings vs. Tattooes

35 4112
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Why are piercings and tattooes considered bad? And which one do people usually think of as worse? I have 8 peircings, ears and bellybutton, and a few people told me that having those are trasy, but they have tattooes. How is one worse than the other?

• 35 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

What your doing is taking for granted that all these facts are true. They are just opinions. You should be asking is "are piercings and tattooes considered bad?", and "is one worse than the other?". If the answer to these questions are no, then you can't ask "why?".

In my opinion, i don't really see why people get either of these. If i had to chose one as worse i would choose tattoos, because even though they can be really cool, i don't like the idea of painting your body. If i had to choose one as more disgusting, i would choose piercing, because the places that people get those is just wrong.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

You should be asking is "are piercings and tattooes considered bad?", and "is one worse than the other?"

That's what he asked....

But I'd have to say neither is worse, to me there both fine.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Tattoos didn't used to be considered bad. In fact, originally, they had to be done by hand, making htem very expensive, and therefore an accessory of the nobility. However when the first proper needle machine was invented, by a Frenchman I believe, it made them cheap and affordable to the great unwashed. Thus began the decline of the status of the tattoo.

On a side note, my local dentist who has been in the practice for decades, said that back in the 60s, the only patients they were instructed to wear sanitary gloves for were those with tattoos. Because only sailors and prostitutes working on the docks would get them, and therefore both groups were likely to be carrying STDs.

As for piercings, they are considered bad by members of an older generation partly because of their association with the punk movements, and over here in England, with class stereotypes. So they're not considered 'bad' depending on who you're talking to.

My personal opinion? I think it's important for tattoos, to have meaning. I generally don't like it when people get tattoos just because they want one. However if it's good body art then I don't mind so much. I have 2 tattoos. One a souvenir of my military service, and another some body art which I got on a whim. I'm not interested in getting any more.

As for piercings, I had both ears done when I was 14, although I grew out of them fairly quickly. I don't have anything against piercings per se, but too many does look a bit odd to me, especially on the face. And of course there is the issue of hygene and infection to take into account with piercings you don't get so much with tattoos.

shailajaisrani
shailajaisrani
274 posts
Nomad

i have both. i've got ears, and bellybutton. for tattoos, i've got 2 on my hips and then 1 on my back. neither one is bad, just dont get it at a lame place that reuses needles.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

That's what he asked....

No, he put a "why" before it. That changes the question to from asking if they are bad, to asking why they are bad.
DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

Neither. One the needles are not always clean needles. Witch can lead to a lot of disease's and so forth. And Body Peirce's can get infected and so forth. So neither.

indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

I personally don't like either but I don't care if people do get them.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

I have neither, but I support both, albeit within the constraints of moderation. I wouldn't mind if somebody had two tattoo sleeves, two big tattoos and a dozen piercings, but any more than that would be too much.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,487 posts
Blacksmith

I think tattoos are probably better than piercings (depending on where you get them). if you are going to have a tattoo, put it on a place where you won't regret putting it there later. the same rule applies to piercings. for example: trampstamps are bad, something on your arm is okay as long as it won't offend anybody, and anything on your neck or higher is just plain crazy and wrong.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Well, for a many religious groups, mainly them die hard Christians, marking your body in any way is defiling yourself, so on and so forth. Your supposed to be happy with the way god made ya! Oh yeah!
I don't really mind piercings or tattoos, I want more peircings myself. A tattoo here or there'd doesn't really matter, as long as I can look at the tattoo and think of something fondly. Not, oh this is when I got drunk with a stranger and got his and her tattoos

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Well, I personally thought of peircings as cool which was why i got so many, and i think tattooes are cool too, but i dont want to go overboard with either. And not that it matters, but im a girl, and i just want to stay in the realm of what is reasonable and i dont want to appear trashy or anything.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

It's people's choice's if they want tat's and so on. I'd never get one. I hate them. But that's cool I guess YOU got Body Piercings. That is good. That you know your limits of the Piercing you want.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I think that one of the reason that tats and piercings are considered bad, is because the New Testament (the Torah to me) says that piercings is one of the ways to make a consenting person a slave for life, and the reason that tats are disproved of is because supposedly we are made Betzelem Elohiem (in the image of God), and we shouldn't desecrate our bodies.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

i have both. i've got ears, and bellybutton. for tattoos, i've got 2 on my hips and then 1 on my back. neither one is bad, just dont get it at a lame place that reuses needles.

Your only 13 and you have all that?
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Also, what I don't think so many people realize, is that tattoos are PERMANENT!!!! Once you get one you can't remove it without painful surgery. That is why I will never get a tattoo, and I won't get piercings because I think they look just weird on a guy.

Showing 1-15 of 35