ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162729
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

The first post said it will be launched, but not with the AG3 update. Sometime after.

Cormyn is not in management anymore. Ferret is the guy to listen to now.
gabrielzanchete
gabrielzanchete
5 posts
Nomad

I am getting impatient sirs...

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

I am getting impatient sirs...

Well, patience is a virtue.
Besides, if they do implement it; it will probably be one of the last things they'll implement.
kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

Live chat definitely sounds like a good feature to include for AG3. Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I think that it would be more advantageous to have moderators and admins act as chat room moderators rather than whoever started the chat room.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I think that it would be more advantageous to have moderators and admins act as chat room moderators rather than whoever started the chat room.

The chat rooms will be created by admins, and the current mods/admins would monitor them. The problem is that there probably won't be enough moderators to monitor the chats. Let's say they start off by creating five chat rooms, there aren't enough moderators on throughout the day to monitor all of them. An idea that has been suggested is adding chat mods (it has worked on other websites), but they don't like the idea for whatever reason.
kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

The chat rooms will be created by admins, and the current mods/admins would monitor them.

Would the chat rooms be assigned a specific topic by the admins who created them as well, or would the topic be left open-ended? In that sense, assuming that the former is made true, users are almost limited in what they can and can't talk about.

An idea that has been suggested is adding chat mods (it has worked on other websites), but they don't like the idea for whatever reason.

A trust issue, perhaps? I know that I'm always paranoid about doing group work since I often can't trust the other members to do their jobs.
kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

In that sense, assuming that the former is made true, users are almost limited in what they can and can't talk about.

Assuming that the topics assigned are very specific, of course.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Would the chat rooms be assigned a specific topic by the admins who created them as well, or would the topic be left open-ended? In that sense, assuming that the former is made true, users are almost limited in what they can and can't talk about.

Ideas included having both. Like adding chat rooms to talk about sports, games, and some for anything.
A trust issue, perhaps?

Must be, but that's not a good reason to rule out the idea. It's a good reason to rule out candidates if they've done something that made you not trust them, but not the idea.
kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

It's a good reason to rule out candidates if they've done something that made you not trust them, but not the idea.

In that case, they'll just have to be more selective about who they choose, I suppose.
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

THIS IS NOT A BUMP, THIS IS A SERIOUS REPLY

Recently, I haven't seen as much of a visitor network for this system to be used as much as hoped back in 2011/12, and would lead to the eventual ghost-town affair on it. I would just have the forums, and chuck this at the bottom, if it was to go ahead.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Armor Games has a small team that works around the clock to better the website in numerous ways. This also means that they have to focus their attention on various matters, leaving several lying dorment for a while, simply because of their level of urgency and/or in terms of necessity...

I'm not saying there won't be a live chat on Armor Games in the future @Seashark001, but right now their attention is focused on more pressing matters. I am sure there will be such a feature, but we simply have to wait untill they can start working on it, if it is to be implemented into the website of course. Please have some patience with this... =)

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

really that would be really cool, i also wouldnt mind a im kind of thing where you can directly message 1 certain person privately without having to set up some special chatroom w/ a password

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,349 posts
Bard

i also wouldnt mind a im kind of thing where you can directly message 1 certain person privately without having to set up some special chatroom w/ a password

If you really want to send someone a message without the rest of the site seeing the content, you can always exchange email addresses with other users. Disqus makes it much easier to do this than the old system did because you can instantly edit it out after the other user takes it down.

If you don't already have an email address with a password, you'll have to explain to me how you have an account here.
Seashark001
Seashark001
613 posts
Nomad

@Ernie15

I see what you are saying, but it is the human nature to want to do things with little or even no effort, and having a system built into the website would make it easier to Direct Message users. Also, i think it would be useful to have a chat in the side, which you can use whilst playing, and everyone would be able to use anywhere in the site.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Why not just make your own? Lots of ArmorGames users already use their own chatrooms with friends, so use that. Plus it saves ArmorGames the trouble.

Showing 466-480 of 504