ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162560
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Games with chat rooms are implemented by the game creators, not AG's admins, so no, that would not be an AG chat room.

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Aha, okay.
I've just not seen it on another game yet.

If they approve of games with chatrooms, why not just implement them anyway?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

If they approve of games with chatrooms, why not just implement them anyway?

I don't know, actually. AG's game devs have made their own games with chat rooms, but they haven't said if they'll make one for the site or not. I'd imagine so, but they'll probably get some of the other updates up and running first, because a chat room will probably take a while.
heyitsleo
heyitsleo
43 posts
Nomad

The reason is because we don't have the man-power to moderate the chatrooms right now. Game studios are required to moderate the chat themselves and if the chats get out of hand, we'll tell them to disable it from the game.

Another issue is server load. MMO servers are more optimized for chatrooms than traditional web servers. Even then, some of the MMOs that released with chatrooms weren't expecting the load we were about to unleash and it crashed their servers. Chat on a large scale, my friends, is not as easy to implement as you may think

With that said, it's still on the table thanks to community demands.

trying
trying
467 posts
Bard

Heh. You should've seen Colony's chatroom back when it was more active. There was flaming daily.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

The reason is because we don't have the man-power to moderate the chatrooms right now.

What do you think about separating chat mods from forum mods? The idea would be that all the current mods would be able to mod both, but suitable people that frequent the chats but not so much forums would be chat mods, and vice versa. You could experiment this by adding a few chats (~5) and see how that works out.

For servers, are you saying that too many people = server crash? Well, you could add the chats on a separate page and only people that want to actually use the chat will, instead of having it on game pages and everyone who plays has it automatically open.
xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Heh. You should've seen Colony's chatroom back when it was more active. There was flaming daily.

Yeah totally xD
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

we don't have the man-power to moderate the chatrooms right now

I'm sure many people would willingly volunteer to do so.
Say 2/3 mods per chat room, each from a different time zone.
It would be difficult to find enough volunteers for this if you're going to have it restricted to 18+, though.

Another issue is server load

As Matrix said, you could always have an external page for chat, like it was when it originally came out.

You could experiment this by adding a few chats (~5)

You can always start off with 2 or 3, if necessary, just to see how it pans out.
MonsterTruK
MonsterTruK
111 posts
Chamberlain

it would be cool to have a big chat system.....coming soon ?

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

coming soon ?

No.
It is yet to be decided if it is going to be a feature or not.
Ancuta
Ancuta
146 posts
Bard

I would suggest that you implemented some kind of profanity filter in this chat system. And also a "HTTP" filter to avoid spammers (Like youtube)

armornerd1
armornerd1
30 posts
Peasant

I am getting impatient sirs...

Katnip28
Katnip28
24 posts
Nomad

itd be a good feature! u peoplez should hurry up and get a live chat going though cuz its taking like forever..

kirks011
kirks011
178 posts
Farmer

This is a great idea, but i agree with everyone else. If they build this feature there would have to be many people from AG or some bots built to watch it. because if there wasnt the spam would be out of control and the feature rendered useless.

Runescape124
Runescape124
3,028 posts
Nomad

It is yet to be decided if it is going to be a feature or not.

The first post said it will be launched, but not with the AG3 update. Sometime after.
Showing 451-465 of 504