ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162272
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

No AP for chat room?

I don't see why there would be AP from chat rooms.
So, it will be pubilc and private chat room, if I've well understood?

Probably both.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

that have an ability to choose a subject

No, a chat room is a chat room. We envision one main chat room, or we may cap them at 50 people per room before we create a new one, etc., but they won't be topic based.

Also, since we still don't know which chat engine we're going to use (please suggest some if you know of any), we can't comment for certain which features we'll have.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

No AP for chat room? I haven't think about that but now it sounds evident!

It's community based, so there would be no AP. There would also be no reputation, since the chat log wouldn't persist forever.

So, it will be pubilc and private chat room, if I've well understood?

We haven't finalized on that. Our goal is at least one public chat room, but other features will depend on the chat engine we select.
ScouseWarrior
ScouseWarrior
1,391 posts
Nomad

With a live chat, there would need to be more moderatres and it may just end up like Kongregate, although I want a chat you need to pick trust worthy people like GhostOfMatrix!

zizo90
zizo90
246 posts
Jester

really so cool now we can make chat with our friends =)

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

With a live chat, there would need to be more moderatres and it may just end up like Kongregate, although I want a chat you need to pick trust worthy people like GhostOfMatrix!

I think cormyn already said this probably won't happen. It all depends on the engine they use. The ability to flag/report abuse should be enough because there is enough active mods.

Would the software used to find abuse in the forums etc be applicable in a chat site, where logs would be searched for such abuse to help you guys out?
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Again, it depends on the chat software and how they process the 'reporting' of abusive users.

It's also entirely possible that while a live chat is a crazy popular idea, we might have to give ourselves the ability to ban users from using the live chat because of abuse, or just scrap the live chat completely.

We scrapped it last time because of performance issues, as far as I remember being told, not from spam/abuse.

darkheartless
darkheartless
9 posts
Nomad

I dont understand why we need a Live Chat feature...Help? The way I see it, I would only need a Live Chat if Im online with a (real life) friend or playing some multiplayer game.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

With a live chat, there would need to be more moderatres and it may just end up like Kongregate

I've already suggested "chat moderators", but Cormyn said no to it. A report button in the chat room when you click on usernames and on user profiles would work out well. People could just report people they don't like, though. However, if a moderator comes to check out the chat room when a user is disrupting it, that shouldn't be a problem.
It's also entirely possible that while a live chat is a crazy popular idea, we might have to give ourselves the ability to ban users from using the live chat because of abuse, or just scrap the live chat completely.

If abuse were to happen while in a chat room, then it's best to ban them from it for an X amount of time. If they continue to abuse it, then they shouldn't be allowed to use it. I don't think it should be thrown out due to a few bad apples.
I dont understand why we need a Live Chat feature

Because so many people want it and it's convenient to have a chat room rather than commenting back and forth with people.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

If abuse were to happen while ________, then it's best to ban them from it for an X amount of time. If they continue to abuse it, then they shouldn't be allowed to use it.

We're already taking this approach to Achievements, and will spill over into several other areas like private messages, public messages, forums, live chat, submitting high scores, etc.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

it's convenient to have a chat room rather than commenting back and forth with people.

Though we're KIND of hoping that the conversation-style commenting will be enough, which is why live chat won't be a "launch feature". We want to see if users still want a live chat engine after seeing how easy it'll be to post messages and get feedback, etc...

I *do* understand the convenience of seeing a bunch of people online "right now" and asking questions or just chatting, etc., but as I've said earlier, if the chatting gets out of hand, we're more likely to scrap the live chat than to have to keep going on the defensive and banning people *after* the fact.
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

For the whole CHATTING idea.... If ur playing a game or in the community or anywhere in armor games in general.... It should notify u if some1 commented on ur profile or on the thread that u created..... I think that would be a good idea!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

kingofwar1234, it already does this.

ultrabird
ultrabird
4 posts
Nomad

i think gamers should be able to chat.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

i think gamers should be able to chat.

Wow, what a great idea, someone should start a thread about having a live chat on the site... ;o)
Showing 76-90 of 504