ForumsNews and FeedbackLive Chat Suggestion

504 162566
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

To avoid so many duplicate threads, please place your ideas and thoughts on a live chat system here.

Initially, we weren't going to do a live chat, but enough users asked for it that Dan has agreed, and we'll add a live chat to the system AFTER we launch AG3. It will NOT be part of the AG3 launch.

Ideas that others have suggested:
- custom channels
- password-protected channels
- kick/ban controls
- moderation controls
- report a user

We don't know yet if the chat will be Flash based, Java based, or something else.

• 504 Replies
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

well, i just did make a thread that has to do with online chatting, and other things that have to do with notifications for online..... the thread explains itself

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

For the whole CHATTING idea.... If ur playing a game or in the community or anywhere in armor games in general.... It should notify u if some1 commented on ur profile or on the thread that u created..... I think that would be a good idea!

Kingofwar1234, it already does that.

Email notifications or on site notifications?

well, i just did make a thread that has to do with online chatting, and other things that have to do with notifications for online..... the thread explains itself

Lulz, it was sarcasm king, considering you made a dup of this thread.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Email notifications or on site notifications?

On-site. You'll see an indicator counter in the top right corner of the screen when activities happen. Obviously we haven't hooked up any forum engine yet, so you won't see activities when someone replies to a forum topic you started/follow.
Shelf
Shelf
7 posts
Nomad

I thinks its a good idea

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

On-site. You'll see an indicator counter in the top right corner of the screen when activities happen. Obviously we haven't hooked up any forum engine yet, so you won't see activities when someone replies to a forum topic you started/follow.

This is good, i was afraid of an inbox bombardment like facebook tends to do.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

[quote]On-site. You'll see an indicator counter in the top right corner of the screen when activities happen. Obviously we haven't hooked up any forum engine yet, so you won't see activities when someone replies to a forum topic you started/follow.

This is good, i was afraid of an inbox bombardment like facebook tends to do.[/quote]

I guess that's good, but somebody else suggested that the notification would be an armatar bleep. Then again, an armatar bleep would be weird and possibly annoying. As a result, I like what I double-quoted and I agree with what I single-quoted (that's why I turned off comment notifications).
crazyape
crazyape
1,606 posts
Peasant

All this is EPIC! No more back-and-forth between your profile and syour friend's....
Also, you could use it sort of like a training ground for junior moderators, with supervisors checking progress or something. I'm looking forward to it.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

an armatar bleep would be weird and possibly annoying

I think Facebook plays a little 'op' sound when certain events happen, but might be related to their chat system, not their general alert system.
nabagaca
nabagaca
1 posts
Nomad

i think your chat system should be simple this is my design thought you have a chat that follows you page to page so users aren't cramped up on one page and that page doesn't crash it should have an admin/mod people on it and under each post on the chat chat it should have a report this post button and it should be hosted on another website but put into the css of this site to prevent the website crashing

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hey... in Google's Orkut (that social network that was beaten up by Facebook), there is a chat system. A small popup appears on the left bottom of the screen and tells you what friends are online or offline. Then if you start chatting with someone, another popup appears in the middle bottom of the screen and you can chat in there. These popups are &quotersistent" and don't disappear when the page is loading. In these popups you can choose if you're online, absent, busy or offline.

A similar system would do the trick here, wouldn't it?

Zabusy99
Zabusy99
73 posts
Nomad

Roger721

First off i dont think its good idea becuase similiar system is already used on Facebook and dont forget about copyrights.

flasharcadegames
flasharcadegames
1 posts
Nomad

I wouldn't allow custom created chatrooms, idiots & spammers will be posting inappropriate links (eg pron & buy handbags) & rooms (eg who wants s x e x!).

Chat administrators should be admins only. If anybody has issue with a person in a chat session they can flag it.

I would go for flash/JSON/XML and make it only available to reg users. For bandwidth considerations and to ease the load on the server I would also make the shoutbox clickable to initiate and deactivate the chat.

Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

if AG gets a chat bar it will officially be better than Kongregate

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

First off i dont think its good idea becuase similiar system is already used on Facebook and dont forget about copyrights.

Yeah. But start a chat engine from 0 would take a LOONG time. And if it's similar, it isn't equal, then there is no need for copyrights.

(By similar I say similar engine and not similar style...)
kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
605 posts
Peasant

If there os like a chat room type thing, the person who made the chat room the system should make the user an automatic chat moderatorFor that specific room nowhere else, jst there. And there should be a max amount of chat rooms made, otherwise, there will be about 5000 chat rooms, and tht would be too out of control

Showing 91-105 of 504