The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernQuestions for the community: The sun

21 2228
pratchu
pratchu
493 posts
Nomad

It has always beenproven that the Earth revolves around the sun, not like in the old days when people thought it moved around the Earth. People have come to this decision after years of studying space.

My question however, is how come the sun rises from the East and sets in the West? why couldn't there be a different order?

• 21 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

My question however, is how come the sun rises from the East and sets in the West?

Because that is the direction the earth rotates.

why couldn't there be a different order?

It probably could have but the universe turned out this way.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

People have come to this decision after years of studying space.

The idea of heliocentrism has been around for millenia, but only took off a few centuries ago.

My question however, is how come the sun rises from the East and sets in the West? why couldn't there be a different order?

Master answered it. It is interesting to keep in mind that Venus rotates clockwise, instead of rotating counter-clockwise as most of the solar system's planets do.

[quote=Wikipedia]It is theorized that Earth formed as part of the birth of the Solar System: what eventually became the solar system initially existed as a large, rotating cloud of dust, rocks, and gas. It was composed of hydrogen and helium produced in the Big Bang, as well as heavier elements ejected by supernovas. As this interstellar dust is inhomogeneous, any asymmetry during gravitational accretion results in the angular momentum of the eventual planet.[24] The current rotation period of the Earth is the result of this initial rotation and other factors, including tidal friction and the hypothetical impact of Theia.[/quote]
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

The Earth revolves around the Sun..?

pratchu
pratchu
493 posts
Nomad

The Earth revolves around the Sun..?

what do you think it revolved around, an ice cream?(sorry, my little joke there)

@master565

so your saying the earth rotates east to west?
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

so your saying the earth rotates east to west?

Let me make sure of something first. You know that the earth orbits the sun and rotates right? They are two different things.
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Actually, the Earth rotates west to east, thus causing the sun to "move" east to west in the sky.

Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

If the Earth were to suddenly start spinning the other way it would be catastrophic.

/offtopic

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

We Would all die if the Earth changed direction, but thats not likely.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

It's not entirely off topic.
If it were to spin the other way suddenly, I would foresee massive tidal waves sweeping across entire continents, the crust being torn asunder and all life as we know it being utterly destroyed. Is that catastrophic?

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

Is that catastrophic?

No.

Earth spinning the other way... What an idea. But I'm pretty sure Magneto did something like that in Avengers: Ultimatum.

If you've read that particular 5-part series, then you'll know what I'm talking about. :P
iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

It's there some dark matter or something that we also orbit?

pratchu
pratchu
493 posts
Nomad

It's there some dark matter or something that we also orbit?

actually, there is a blackhole in the middle of the universe.
iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

Universe yes, But I was talking about in our solor system.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

There is a black hole at the center of every galaxy, but the sun is the center of the Solar system.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

Why doesn't the black hole eat us all?

Showing 1-15 of 21