The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernDo any AGers have an aquaponics system?

23 4510
iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

I have just recently gotten into aquaponics and am setting up a system with a tank I have. So I was just curious if anyone else on here has either heard of aquaponics or has a system of their own.

For those of you who don't know what aquaponics is check out this link.

I would also love to hear what people think of this method of growing food.

• 23 Replies
caffeine101
caffeine101
87 posts
Nomad

growing food huh..... have they renamed hydroponics to aquaponics? or is it a regional thing. growing food huh..... hmmmmmm

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

A administrator with the n00b archer armatar? Classy.

But nope. Never heard of aquaponics before.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I've only ever used hydroponics once and that was just to see if I could do it. I've never heard to aquaponics before, but it looks interesting. What do you plan on raising and growing with your aquaponics system?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

The archer armatar is not noob or classy. Besides, you should be on-topic.

Look who's talking.

I don't have much to say. I've never personally made use of hydroponics and I only discovered what aquaponics is today. Looks swell.

Eh, so yeah what are you planning on growing/raising?
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

So, it is basicaly cleaning the aquarium water with plants. But, you hydroponically grow the plants. That seems like a very good idea. I have never heard of it but, I might try it too.

iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

growing food huh..... have they renamed hydroponics to aquaponics? or is it a regional thing. growing food huh..... hmmmmmm

They are not quite the same. Hydroponics is just adding the nutrients plants need to the water you are growing them in. Aquaponics is using waste from fish to provide the nutrients need. It can be used to grow both plants and fish for food.

So, it is basicaly cleaning the aquarium water with plants. But, you hydroponically grow the plants. That seems like a very good idea. I have never heard of it but, I might try it too.

That is a good way to describe it. If you want to try it out I recommend checking out www.backyardaquaponics.com and aquaponicscommunity.com as places to get more info and as places to ask any questions you might have.

I've only ever used hydroponics once and that was just to see if I could do it. I've never heard to aquaponics before, but it looks interesting. What do you plan on raising and growing with your aquaponics system?

I thought it seems interesting as well. And as I tend to always have fish, but don't always keep up on changing filters, I thought I would give it an try and see how things go. I currently have a goldfish tank so I am going to just use that and add a grow bed to it. I am planning to grow herb. I so far a for sure going to grow cilantro and basil. I want to grow mojito mint as well if I can find any.
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

The archer armatar is not noob or classy. Besides, you should be on-topic.

The archer armatar IS for noobs, I was sarcastic when I said it was classy, and I said I did NOT in fact know about Aquaponics, JUST to avoid making the post spam. Good day to you sir.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

It seems like a good idea, if you have the space. To get enough food to be worthwile, it seems it would have to take up a fair amount of space. Its a genious idea, really, to have plants filter the waste from the fish, and then pump the cleaned water back to the fish. Kudos to you m8.

dillsoccer
dillsoccer
147 posts
Nomad

it sounds cool.This is the first tiime i have ever heard of it.I dont know what you would put the stuff in

caffeine101
caffeine101
87 posts
Nomad

A administrator with the n00b archer armatar? Classy.

i quite like the archer. its classy.
Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

I currently have a goldfish tank so I am going to just use that and add a grow bed to it. I am planning to grow herb. I so far a for sure going to grow cilantro and basil. I want to grow mojito mint as well if I can find any.

Goldfish with cilantro and basil sounds tasty. Let us know how your aquaponics system turns out.
budokai1694
budokai1694
255 posts
Peasant

i prefer hydroponics. also known as growing marijuana commonly known as weed, mary jane, etc. in your basement

iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

it sounds cool.This is the first tiime i have ever heard of it.I dont know what you would put the stuff in

What stuff are you talking about? If you mean growing medium, then I am going to use Hydroton which is a brand of Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate(LECA).

Goldfish with cilantro and basil sounds tasty. Let us know how your aquaponics system turns out.

Well I am not raising the goldfish to eat. I have them a more ornamental fish, so I am just going to use their byproducts to grow my herbs. But if you ever have goldfish with cilantro and basil tell me how it is.

I plan to set everything up this weekend, so I will be sure to let you know how thing turn out.

i prefer hydroponics. also known as growing marijuana commonly known as weed, mary jane, etc. in your basement

I think I will stick to my type of herbs. I have a "theory" that your type of "herbs" just heighten my anxiety.
metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

To be honest I've never heard of aquaponics and I never really knew what hydroponics was. Do you just grow regular plants or do you grow edible stuff?

iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

Flag
To be honest I've never heard of aquaponics and I never really knew what hydroponics was. Do you just grow regular plants or do you grow edible stuff?

You can grow either. Most people use it to grow eatable plants though.
Showing 1-15 of 23