ForumsThe TavernWhich Antivirus system is better?

58 7986
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

My friend's family computer got a Trojan and was forced to wipe the entire drive. When they rebooted and everything it turned out that there was still a Trojan on the computer. He is still using the same antivirus system, McAfee. Personally, though, i use the free 2011 edition AVG and it works great.

Since the computer was mostly my friend's dad he didn't want me or himself to try and download AVG as it might interfere with McAfee.

Should I tell him to ditch McAfee for AVG free or what?

• 58 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Panda Antivirus

Is Panda some sort of acronym, or do they have a picture of a panda on the homepage?
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Is Panda some sort of acronym, or do they have a picture of a panda on the homepage?

The latter. They have a picture of a panda, it doesn't really mean anything. The founder just liked pandas.
Peggster
Peggster
483 posts
Nomad

Kaspersky Antivirus 2011 is really good. It easy to use and really effective at finding malware. I would give it a 4 out of 5.

Gozeta
Gozeta
12 posts
Nomad

I agree with Peggster. Kaspersky was the only paid anti-virus that caught the keylogger that was in my computer. Where as Mcafee and Norton failed miserably to catch. It was sad that I had to switch to Kaspersky though because I like the way Norton anti-virus looks.

TacoRepairMan
TacoRepairMan
14 posts
Nomad

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. That combo works for me.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

All of them have flaws and it doesn't do the job 100 percent. So none of them are good. I had Norton once and it sucked. I had Macafee and it sucked. It didn't find anything. I used a different anti-virus software and it found 12 trojan virus's the Macafee didn't find. So none are good. A lot of them flawless and a lot of them suck.

Gozeta
Gozeta
12 posts
Nomad

To tacorepairman
I've hear of that combination in the magazine called, "Windows" summer 2011 edition.

Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

https://community.mcafee.com/message/119650

Wow, I saw that thread and missed the malwarebytes part.

As for the problem its possible the files got messed up some other way and now appear to be viruses. The only thing I can say at this point is that its not likely to be mcafees fault.
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

All of them have flaws and it doesn't do the job 100 percent. So none of them are good. I had Norton once and it sucked. I had Macafee and it sucked. It didn't find anything. I used a different anti-virus software and it found 12 trojan virus's the Macafee didn't find. So none are good. A lot of them flawless and a lot of them suck.

You have a great point. That's why its best to just have a combination of anti-spyware/anti-virus stuff so there's less chance a scan may have missed something.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

All of them have flaws and it doesn't do the job 100 percent. So none of them are good.

Everything has a flaw, so I guess that means that everything is bad. By your logic.
Just because it doesn't do 100% job doesn't mean it's bad. It's still good. If you're on a PC, then go right ahead and roam the Internet without an anti-virus, see how far you get.
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

If you're on a PC, then go right ahead and roam the Internet without an anti-virus, see how far you get.

You can get quite far if you know what you are doing.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I use microsoft security essentials. I used to have AVG Free, but I didn't really like it. Oh well, personal preferences.

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

You can get quite far if you know what you are doing.

True. I was telling my friend the only way something so bad got on the computer was if somebody was targeting him or he hit download on a malicious file or something.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

I use Norton...it's actually a lot better. I had AVG, McAffee, but I found Norton the best! I haven't had a virus in years!!!!

bunniecorps
bunniecorps
467 posts
Nomad

AVG I've never had any viruses once I installed it.

Showing 16-30 of 58