ForumsThe TavernWhich Antivirus system is better?

58 7985
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

My friend's family computer got a Trojan and was forced to wipe the entire drive. When they rebooted and everything it turned out that there was still a Trojan on the computer. He is still using the same antivirus system, McAfee. Personally, though, i use the free 2011 edition AVG and it works great.

Since the computer was mostly my friend's dad he didn't want me or himself to try and download AVG as it might interfere with McAfee.

Should I tell him to ditch McAfee for AVG free or what?

• 58 Replies
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

You might actually have a huge point about that?

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

Back to the point does anyone know what i should do about my friend's computer?

Peggster
Peggster
483 posts
Nomad

Use C:\\program files\\common\\microsoft shared\\msinfo and search for any programs that you do not recognise and run the .dll files through your virus scanner, if you find anything out of the ordinary, select to disable it at startup.

use the windows key+R to open the run box, type in "CMD" when you are in the CLI, type in netstat-an, once you find an connection between your computer and an outside source that you do not acknowledge to be right, find out the program that is communicating to an outside source.

Once you have done these things and located the program with the trojan or what you think to be a trojan, stop it from starting up automatically when you restart your computer, (This can easily be done by going on the run command and typing "msconfig" going to the startup tab, selecting the program and selecting the "disable" button) restart your computer and remove the program.

Hope this helped.

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

Yea it helped for me because I understand it and I know MY startup programs and what not. But I'm not sure if my friend recognizes startup program names and stuff like that. Guess he'll have to have me over again.

tool1996
tool1996
71 posts
Peasant

Microsoft security essentials free and really good.

Peggster
Peggster
483 posts
Nomad

Yea it helped for me because I understand it and I know MY startup programs and what not. But I'm not sure if my friend recognizes startup program names and stuff like that. Guess he'll have to have me over again.

Yes, go, go and save your friends computer. It is a good thing to do and it is the right thing to do.

I really hate malware/malware creators. Unless they are creating the malware for testing purposes on software to try and create better barriers against back doors and what not, they are evil.
DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

Yes I hate those also. They do suck. I might try Norton again. It looks like they improved a lot since the last time I had it. It's expensive but it's worth it.

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

I really hate malware/malware creators.

Yes, indeed. The only reason that people make viruses and trojans anymore can be summed up in two words. Crime Pays.
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

AVG is free, and it stops viruses more effectively than Norton from what I've heard.

Are you kidding me, AVG free has beaten any virus program I've ever tried.
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

I don't like free. Free means cheap piece of ****. No offence. I'd rather buy it and get the full protection.

You are stupid my friend. The reason AVG is free is because they have the money for people to test it out and have it working without paying for it. I'm not sure of their plan because of this but we can make our own assumptions. Since it works so good free, someone may want to buy for their business or recommend it to one. Principals could purchase it for their schools if they think it too does an excellent job.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

@cleofer5:
Ya know, you can just put everything into one post instead of posting something new every three minutes.

Free means cheap piece of ****.

If someone gives you a brand new PS3 for free, I guess that's bad too.
I'd rather buy it and get the full protection.

Paying money for something =/= quality.
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

yea i know, but i feel like people don't like reading huge posts. Like me i like it short and choppy.

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

I went to AVG's site and looked up internet security 2011 and noticed there is a subscription. If you buy the product as a whole then why must they make you buy a subscription?

tool1996
tool1996
71 posts
Peasant

Norton actually is a virus because when I had microsoft security essentials installed with Norton still on my computer it took over my firewall and wouldn't let me on the internet untill I deleted it.

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

Does anyone know the answer to my question?

If you buy the product as a whole then why must they make you buy a subscription?

Showing 31-45 of 58