The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernHow would you deal with...?

54 7146
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

How would you deal with someone one the phone whom you'd rather not talk to?
I was thinking maybe, ringing your own doorbell to fool them into thinking you've got someone at your door, so you can get off the phone with them.
But, what do you guys think? What would you do?

• 54 Replies
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Usually I'll have a little fun with them. I'll ask them stupid questions, then ask the same stupid questions like I don't understand what they're saying.

If it's a salesperson, I'll pretend to be interested in the product as well as repeatedly ask stupid questions. I'll speak really slowly and pretend I'm a moron but I'll tell them I'm interested in the product and I want to buy it. All telemarketers get all day is people yelling profanities at them and hanging up. Of course, this allows the salesperson to just try again with another victim. If one victim pretends to be a potential customer, however, they can't hang up on the person because it's their job to make sure the product is sold.

Now, usually I stretch this out for about 10-15 minutes before I get bored. Then, I'll confirm that I'm interested in the product and tell the salesperson that I just have to find my credit card. I put the phone down without hanging up and just leave them there, because they can't hang up on a potential customer.

This is how you deal with telemarketers. Do NOT ever yell at them; they're used to that and they can take it. The real way to punish them is by wasting their time for as long as you possibly can.

I haven't gotten a sales call in years. I think they've gotten smarter.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

i would do what ernie did. i'd love to do that.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

well... i hang up and then blame it on the low battery or say i dropped my phone

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Oh child I know how you feel! I have this creepy russia- let's not get into that.
Anyways this guy keeps texting me and calling me and I just tell him that my mom took away my phone. Ta da!

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

it'd depend on the context... telemarketer would normally get "we don't want any" and then I'd hang up...

but I've often contemplated yelling "YOUR MOTHER WAS A HAMSTER AND YOUR FATHER SMELLED OF ELDERBERRIES!!!!" (monty python) just to be random... I'm sure they don't get that one every day.

don't really have too many other people that just randomly call... :/... so don't have much to say about the other people

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

id say ive got to go then hang up when they say goodbye

ShonaFurey
ShonaFurey
67 posts
Nomad

I usually just hang up or play along and prank them a little.

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Ooh, everyone's really creative!
How would you deal with someone who spills their drink on you and then doesn't apologize?

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

On iTunes, I have several sounds bought from movies. Whenever someone calls that I don't want to talk to, I do this:

As the other person is talking about whatever product they're selling, interrupt and play the doorbell noise.

Tell them you're going to get it. Play the sound of a creaky door opening, and say hello.

Play gunshot noise.

Play 'Thud!' noise.

Groan, and mumble into the phone that you're ok, that its only a flesh would. Then ask them if its normal for your internal organs to be showing.

I've freaked out several telemarketers this way. The trick is to tell them you're fine before they call the cops. Sadly, they don't call my house anymore.

cmb2kool
cmb2kool
378 posts
Nomad

If a person spilled something on me i would bring the boombox out and start doing some sort of musical, telling him/her how disappointed I'm with them.
Here is how it goes!l
Juice! Oh juice!
It got all over me!
Juice!
Why does it stain!
Juice!
It got all over me!
and there is one to blame
Juice!
IT's youuuu
Juice!
I'm sad that you didn't apoligize!
Juice!
Whats wrong with you!
Juice
Now I'm embarrassing you!
Juice!
Juice!
Juice!
Oh yaaaaaaa!

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Wow, Maverick4! Omg! That was so funny, I had to share it with m brother! I really laughed when I read it! I had to read it twice just for kicks! Thanks!

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Thanks, cmb2kool! That was hilarious! Really, I am looking for humorous solutions to life's everyday problems. Keep them coming!

iheart801
iheart801
71 posts
Nomad

Ernie, That is the best way to do it. They normally get paid in commissions, so by taking up their time you cut into their pay. Brilliant.

Ghgt99
Ghgt99
1,890 posts
Nomad

If it is a saleperson I say "Oh! I would love to buy your product just one minute I am cooking something.

A few minutes later...

"Hold on I am nearly done."

Repeat as necessary.

Or I start swearing at them in the most colorful ways imaginable.

chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

You could just hang up and not answer the phone if they call back. They should get the message.

Showing 1-15 of 54