The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernThe Oxford Comma

36 3806
delossantosj
delossantosj
6,672 posts
Nomad

What does the AG community think about the oxford comma? for those of you who dont know about the oxford comma, it is the comma that comes right before a coordinating conjunction such as "and" or "or, usually in a list.

for example: i need bread, milk, and butter.

many intense grammar nazis argue that the oxford comma is unnecessary and shouldn't be used. so the previous sentence would become this:

i need bread, milk and butter.

even though the oxford comma is considered "grammatically correct".

Do you guys think the oxford comma is necessary?

• 36 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

If it's grammatically correct then its as necessary as any other grammatical rules concerning punctuation.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I use the oxford comma, but I don't think there should be any nitpickiness about whether it is used or not.

indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

It looks better, and it sounds better when speaking bread(pause) milk(pause) and-butter. Instead of bread(pause) milk-and-butter.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

many intense grammar nazis argue that the oxford comma is unnecessary and shouldn't be used. so the previous sentence would become this:

According to the discussion so far, I have come to this conclusion about that statement from the OP:

Any grammar nazi that says no to the oxford comma is not well educated and either wants to ruin the right way or thinks it's the wrong way.
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

i use it, but alot of people and books don't.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

It is unnecessary, but it is not really wrong. Fingernails are unnecessary, so should we get rid of them?

Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

I think we should keep it and everyone else should keep it as well because if some people don't, and others do, it could cause confusion.
Plus, it sounds better.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I don't know, I think it's about personal preference.

I'd think that sentences look and sound fine either with or without it, although I tend to use it a lot in my sentences.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

alot

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s1600/ALOT.png

I use it when I find the pause to be necessary.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Down here it isn't mandatory in every sentence and people exclude it in regular usage. When I used to live in America, you'd always use the comma.

Anyway, in some instances it's preferable and others it isn't.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

I use it a lot when I'm typing a list of stuff out. It makes it so much easier to read.

Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

I usually use the comma. But sometimes I don't.

When I used to live in America, you'd always use the comma.

No, in our school, not a lot of people use the comma. Our teachers used to make us, and then a few years ago, they said it wasn't necessary.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

In general, I use the Oxford comma. I'm used to it, so it feels natural to me, but I suppose since it isn't really enforced in school anymore, it's up to personal preference whether one uses it or not.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

At least, that was what my English teacher said.

My guess is that your teacher's just trying to scare you into using it. O_o
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

No, in our school, not a lot of people use the comma. Our teachers used to make us, and then a few years ago, they said it wasn't necessary.

I used to live in America seven years ago.. eh, must have changed since then.
Showing 1-15 of 36