ForumsThe TavernThe Weather

640 113917
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I love the weather and have always been interested in it. To me, the creation of incredible storms and the patterns of heat, wind, fronts, and pressure systems in absolutely incredible, especially since many of these things still baffle humans!

I want to know: does anybody share my interest? Any other weather buffs out there? Or, some interesting story or fact about the weather?

Please, share it here!

• 640 Replies
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the consecutive posts, all.
I found a video of the volcano lightning on the Weather Channel's page.
Click here to watch!

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Crap, that was the wrong one.
Do this one.
Right here!!!

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Those lightnings look awesome, I'd love to see them irl, best at night "sadly" we have no volcano nearby^^
It's funny how the lightning really is red-ish. Any explanation for that? Is it simply the lava gleam we see?

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I found this on a site whose validity seems okay...

"Lightning takes on a range of colors, depending on conditions in the clouds and in the air.

Blue lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of hail.

Red lightning within a cloud indicates the presence of rain.

Yellow or orange lightning occurs when there is a large concentration of dust in the air.

White lightning is a sign of low humidity (amount of moisture in the air). White is the color of lightning that most often ignites forest fires."

-Taken from Weather and Climate - What Color Is Lightning?: Science Fact Finder

I learned stuff from this too!

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I also read something saying the hotter the bolt, the close to the end of the color spectrum it will be (more toward white, blue).

I'm having trouble finding a trustworthy site to get the answer from, this idea was presented at Answers.com...

savdebunnies
savdebunnies
111 posts
Nomad

I once went to Chandler, Arizona USA during their monsoon season. The rain poored, the wind blew, lightning flashed with rolling thunder, there was a microburst which is something like a tiny sideways tornado for three minuets then it was over. I've been amazed by Arizona's weather ever since.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

You were in a microburst? That would be so awesome...
What was it like?

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

Yeah we had a Thunder Storm yesterday. It wasn't really bad. Just a passerby storm.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Here are some interesting facts I found about hurricanes on the site Interesting Hurricane Facts - Hurricane-Facts.com:

"The word hurricane comes from the Taino Native American word, hurucane, meaning evil spirit of the wind.

The first time anyone flew into a hurricane happened in 1943 in the middle of World War II.

Every second, a large hurricane releases the energy of 10 atomic bombs.

Hurricanes are the only weather disasters that have been given their own names.

The man who first gave names to hurricanes was an Australian weather forecaster named C. Wragge in the early 1900s."

*Facts as seen on site (link above)

Hopefully you find this interesting! :P

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

The Tri-State tornado of March 18, 1925 is the deadliest tornado on record. It traveled between 60 and 73mph on its 219-mile-long track through Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana (hence the name "Tri-State&quot. The death toll from this tornado alone was 695. This number is over twice as much as the number of people killed in the *entire* tornado outbreak that occurred this April. However, many of these deaths were likely due to the inefficiency and inaccuracy of the warning systems in 1925. Meteorologists have come a long way in predicting dangerous tornadoes and storms since then.

Hope you find this interesting, too!

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
608 posts
Nomad

It's raining today. And it's not bad. We need the rain to help make things grow and so on.

eaglepaw
eaglepaw
322 posts
Nomad

it's raining.
then cloudy...

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Well, after it being cold then too hot for Spring, Iowa is finally experiencing nice weather! It's mid 70's and not humid nor breezy; absolutely beautiful!!

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

When I was in elementary school (and didn't have an xbox ) I used to read a lot of non fiction books about space and the weather. Just the kind of shorter ones though.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Seen any nonfiction weather movies (ie, Twister)?

Showing 61-75 of 640