ForumsThe TavernThe Weather

640 113689
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

I love the weather and have always been interested in it. To me, the creation of incredible storms and the patterns of heat, wind, fronts, and pressure systems in absolutely incredible, especially since many of these things still baffle humans!

I want to know: does anybody share my interest? Any other weather buffs out there? Or, some interesting story or fact about the weather?

Please, share it here!

• 640 Replies
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

OMG the last pic looks like a nuke went off!

Haha! I see it now! Aren't thunderstorms amazing? :P
EpicAssassin
EpicAssassin
7 posts
Nomad

lol, it was raining the other day, so weird eh? It's almost Summer.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Nature is very unpredictable. Yes...

Here is a spectacular wall cloud. It is frayed and tattered, giving it an all the more wicked appearance.

Weird the bottom of the cloud looks like a giant wave.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

There are chances for severe storms here today and tomorrow, and then more storms on Friday! I'm so excited! Maybe I'll get to see some awesome storm features!

I just hope the storms don't dodge the town I live in, like usual. >_<

bluestriker30
bluestriker30
20 posts
Nomad

the has been screwed up lately rain wind sun you never know

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I hope this one works...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/iPheltaThi/lightning121.jpg

MachineofLight
MachineofLight
317 posts
Blacksmith

It has not raiend in Jacksonville for some time and there are a lot of fires going on its not good.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

How about the track of the Massachusetts tornado?
http://earthsky.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tornado_track_massachusetts_cropped1.jpg

And what about a nice volcanic storm with a lot of lightning? The volcano Puyehue in Chile gives us it's best show:
http://static.rp-online.de/layout/fotos/DAB4093-201106064ded2c4a314d.jpg

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I already posted that exact lightning volcano pic before on page 2.

Here's a different pic of the same Chilean volcano.

http://emergent-culture.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Chilean-Volcano-eruption-with-lighting.jpg

Here's one in Iceland.

http://samkhan462.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ss-100419-volcano-lightning-05-ss_full-ragnar-th-sigurdsson-msn.jpg

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

To your pics (EmporerPalpatine):

The lightning was created by the ash clouds of the volcanoes? Either answer, it's still staggering. I can only hope to be able to witness something that incredible with my own eyes. At the same time, I hope no one is hurt by these dangerous volcanoes.

To HahiHa's pic:

That aerial view just puts into perspective how deadly these storms are. For all the people in Springfield and Joplin, the best possible wishes and luck. So far, the stories I've heard in both cities are ones of hope and recovery. I live in Iowa, but I donated money to help Joplin, and would gladly do it for Springfield if given the chance. The strength people show in the wake of these storms is amazing, and just proves that humans come together and work together when times are tough.

Thanks for all the pics!

Another thing, thanks to everyone for all your great pictures and posts. Exactly what I wanted when I started this thread!

Finally, please, somebody, do the quiz I started on page 3! No one has answered it so far, and it makes me feel dejected. :P

darkrai097
darkrai097
862 posts
Nomad

1. What is the difference between a gustnado and a tornado?
I don't know.
2. What type of front forces warm air to rise violently, often causing severe storms?
I don't know.
3. Individual (single-cell), powerful, often damaging thunderstorms are called...
I don't know.
4. What are the starting and ending dates of the Atlantic hurricane season?
I don't know.
5. The name for a higher-feeling temperature due to humidity is...
and the name for a colder-feeling temperature due to wind is...
I don't know.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

@snowguy13
I think the storm was ongoing when the volcanoes erupted. They just happened to be in the same place at the same time.

Here's an article link with some pictures I didn't feel like taking the time to upload.

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394503/Chile-volcano-causes-ash-cloud-lightning-tears-sky-apart.html]

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Gah! LINK FAIL!
Just copy and paste the link (everything after the equals sign and before the last bracket) into the long bar at the top of a new tab.
The pics are epic so it is worth doing.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

@EmporerPalpatine

Wow! Those are... well, I'm out of adjectives... but you know what I mean!

By the way, I think your problem was that you didn't close the [url] tag.

@darkrai097:

Well, I guess you answered, and rather comically.

But I'm not convinced you or anyone else really cares...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Well I can give it a try, I don't guarantee anything though, these questions tend to be rather specific and I'm not good at meteorology

1. What is the difference between a gustnado and a tornado?
Has the gustnado anything to do with weather? Never heard of it.. tornado are air cylinders turning.

2. What type of front forces warm air to rise violently, often causing severe storms?
Storms are often caused by high pressured atmosphere, so I guess that could be a reason?

3. Individual (single-cell), powerful, often damaging thunderstorms are called...
Hurricans?

4. What are the starting and ending dates of the Atlantic hurricane season?
meh..

5. The name for a higher-feeling temperature due to humidity is...
Something with s... I think I have it on the tip of the tongue..

and the name for a colder-feeling temperature due to wind is...
Wind chill.

I tried without internet.. obviously :S

Showing 31-45 of 640