The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernFederal Law on printing money.

20 4820
cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

I remember in eighth grade we were planning to use paper money in a project so we printed some off. When we went to retrieve from the printer the teacher looked at it and got seriously mad. Like bull rage mad! Anyway it was in black and white and twice the size of an official dollar. Just wondering but could you still get fined for having black and white paper money twice the regular size?

• 20 Replies
Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

I don't think so. Not unless you tried to use it.

Blkasp
Blkasp
1,304 posts
Nomad

One thing to say about your teacher: Rofl

Yep, It should be legal as long as you don't try to use it and make sure you destroy it when finished to cover up all evidence >.> not that it would matter or anything.

In New Zealand money is made out of special paper, where if you put it up to light, the Queen's face appears in the note, and there is a fern etc. Lot's of counter measures which would stop plain paper money.

An even better way to make sure that it was not illegal, would be to edit it and put on it: "THIS IS NOT LEGAL TENDER" across the money.

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

An even better way to make sure that it was not illegal, would be to edit it and put on it: "THIS IS NOT LEGAL TENDER" across the money.

Or in in fine print across the bottom just to make them mad.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Silly americans, making money out of paper.

Blkasp
Blkasp
1,304 posts
Nomad

[quote]An even better way to make sure that it was not illegal, would be to edit it and put on it: "THIS IS NOT LEGAL TENDER" across the money.
Or in in fine print across the bottom just to make them mad.[/quote]

If you really wanted to make them mad, and if you are that way inclined...
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Polymer banknotes are fantastic and much more harder to counterfeit than paper notes.

Silly americans, making money out of paper.

That's right.

Just wondering but could you still get fined for having black and white paper money twice the regular size?

Probably not, since it's obviously not real. Might as well make it humorous by adding some random person's face in lieu of George. I'm guessing your teacher overreacted.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Reproduction of US currency in color or black and white is permitted as long as the reproductions are less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half the size of the original and one-sided. Size restrictions apply whether using the whole or a portion of any bill. Additionally, care must be taken to dispose of negatives, scans, or other materials used in creating the reproductions.

So you were fine.
Throw this article in that teachers face.

[url=http://desktoppub.about.com/od/scanninggraphics/a/money_usa.htm]

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

crap, linkfail. copy and paste everything from http to .htm and put it in that long bar at the top.

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

In New Zealand money is made out of special paper, where if you put it up to light, the Queen's face appears in the note, and there is a fern etc. Lot's of counter measures which would stop plain paper money.

It's called a watermark. The U.S. uses them too. But, stupid people making money out of paper! I don't see why you could not reproduce currency that is obviously "fake". It isn't counterfeiting if it looks "fake" and people know its "fake".
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I don't see how it could be a problem if there's not counterfeit purpose. I mean some games have fake money, like monopoly, so i dont see the problem.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Here's the linky link Emperor

As for your teacher...he's a moron. If it was illegal to print fake money, Monopoly would be the largest counterfeit scheme.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

(Thanks!)

More monopoly money is printed every day than real money.

Monopoly money is less than 3/4 the size of real money and shares no template with real money and therefore is legal to produce, but will not be accepted as legal tender.

chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

You might get in a little trouble for printing money. But when your money looks nothing like real money then there should be no problem.

cleofer5
cleofer5
354 posts
Scribe

thats what i was thinking but my teacher went nuts.

DarkGamer99
DarkGamer99
606 posts
Nomad

No you're fine. It's not illegal to make fake black and white paper money. If you spend it than yeah you could probably get in trouble for it. And the teacher shouldn't have gotten that mad at you for doing that.

Showing 1-15 of 20