ForumsArt, Music, and WritingGuanxi (Game Development)

67 25564
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Hello, yes, I really did make another AMW thread. But I didn't do it because I felt like it, but because I think it's necessary. Without further ado, I will inform you what this thread is all about.
It is going to be used as a development log for all my work on my current project. [insert title here]
I'm going to log every day I work on it, just so you all can see how I go about making this. Possibly Darkroot too, if he decides to post here. Yes, he's the programmer.
Day 1
Today was the starter day, and I was super psyched that Darkroot agreed to join me. Whoo! While we just started, I got some stuff done.
Things accomplished:
- Main character sprite sheet. [insert character name here]
- Place-holder art for first "section" islands.
Thing to accomplish in the near future:
- Add more characters.
- Create a concrete game write-up.
- Add some detail.
Well, the island view is rather long, and I don't think it will fit on AG full view, so here's a link. Link. Also, remember, this is just place-holder art, which means it's not nearly finished.
The sprite sheet is not really 100% visible. Since, AG has a white background, and considering that the character's legs are white. So it would be basically invisible unless put on a backdrop...

• 67 Replies
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

You mean increase?

Not really, it only takes me about fifteen minutes to post a daily update.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

You mean increase?

I guess I wasn't being clear. By not posting daily updates, you will have more time per day, therefore reducing the number of days needed to finish creating the game.
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

*wipes off three pages of dust*

Alright, now that I'm done with the class, I have all the time I want to update you guys with what we've been doing and what we will be doing.
Wow, it's been twenty days since we started this, and I'm kind of proud we are still working hard on it. Go us!

On the coding side, Darkroot has finished the collisions, which is basically the core of the game, I believe. We have a playable demo currently, but it's super super rough. He's currently working on the character animation movement and all that fun stuff.

On the art side, I haven't done a lot, since I have to be cautious of what is possible, and what isn't. I've done several buildings, more character movements, and I have been doodling a lot on paper, brainstorming about character designs.

I'll keep you posted~

Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

Playable demo already? Nice! And just a question on movement: Is the character always in the center of the screen, or does the camera move when the character gets close enough to an edge?

ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

When are we gonna play the demo? Are you using flash? Is the game called "Some Pixels" or is it something else. A more specific name will make it more popular.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Is the character always in the center of the screen, or does the camera move when the character gets close enough to an edge?

I'm pretty positive the character remains in the center, while the background moves, I could be wrong though... I'll have to ask Darkroot.
When are we gonna play the demo?

When it's smoothed out, and the art is attractive. I'd rather take my time, than rush to get out a simple demo. d:
Are you using flash?

Yes, we are.
Is the game called "Some Pixels" or is it something else.

No, that is just what I named the title, because I didn't know what the title of the game was going to be, originally. So I just named it after my first art thread, Some Pixels. Creative, isn't it. d;
Here's a quote of me talking about titles for the game:
First I came up with was 'Pinnacle'. No apparent reason, it just hit me, and I thought it sounded neat.
Second one is 'Guanxi'. It kind of sums up the game itself. Definition:

"In traditional Chinese society, you would build up good guanxi by giving gifts to people, taking them to dinner, or doing them a favor, but you can also use up your guanxi by asking for a favour to be repaid."

Since the game is all about doing tasks for people, it sort of makes sense.
Legion1350
Legion1350
5,366 posts
Nomad

I'm pretty positive the character remains in the center, while the background moves, I could be wrong though... I'll have to ask Darkroot.

Alright, thanks.

Now, I do have a question: Just out of curiosity, when (or if) this game is released to AG, who would be releasing it? You or Darkroot?
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Now, I do have a question: Just out of curiosity, when (or if) this game is released to AG, who would be releasing it? You or Darkroot?

._.' I haven't even thought about anything related to release.
But, we would probably make a mutual account to upload it... or Darkroot, since he has the file himself. Usually the programmer uploads it.
Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

[quote]Now, I do have a question: Just out of curiosity, when (or if) this game is released to AG, who would be releasing it? You or Darkroot?

._.' I haven't even thought about anything related to release.
But, we would probably make a mutual account to upload it... or Darkroot, since he has the file himself. Usually the programmer uploads it.[/quote]

It might have to be the latter depending on whether a "mutual" account is considered an alt on AG3 (alts are not allowed in AG3).
ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

It might have to be the latter depending on whether a "mutual" account is considered an alt on AG3 (alts are not allowed in AG3).

Honestly, I wasn't really asking for anyone's approval, but thanks for the thread-related post, it's appreciated. </sarcasm>
ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

I still can't wait for this game (and a demo)

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Thanks ug! It really means a lot! Also, its been a whole awesome month since we've started, so its like a milestone! Whoo!
I'm typing this away from home on my phone, so i could share this with you guys. Enjoy!

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

It is an RPG, but I think I might stick a little bit of story in there, I haven't quite decided yet. But yes, the base is definitely RPG, just walking around doing tasks and deeds for people.

ug5151
ug5151
587 posts
Nomad

Add some more pictures. Can we help do some storyline too? I also hope the game gets 1,000,000 plays (or even more)

I too am possibly working on a game with a friend.

ProfessorOak
ProfessorOak
993 posts
Nomad

Haha, well, I did post these a while ago in my other AMW thread, but it's dealing with the game, so here:
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/menu01.png

---

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/M4tth3wpics/menu.png

Can we help do some storyline too?

Honestly, there really is no storyline (yet?). All you really do in the game is run around, and be awesome by doing little tasks and deeds for the townspeople, ranking up and getting badges.
I also hope the game gets 1,000,000 plays (or even more)

Woah, I do too! Thanks! C:
I too am possibly working on a game with a friend.

Sounds neat, good luck!
Showing 16-30 of 67