The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsThe TavernHow do you type when your not at school (and for some of us when your at work)

22 2570
ShadowShank696
ShadowShank696
577 posts
Nomad

Do u tend to use slang or text talk when typing or do u try to type neater just normally or do u even use slang at all?

• 22 Replies
Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

Well, I try to use proper English, because it looks more better (in my opinion), though away from school I do use some abbreviations, like omg and stuff.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I type like this most of the time. It simply looks better and it's nice when people can understand what you're trying to say. It's also faster for me to type like this rather than typing improperly.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I type pretty much the same. Maybe some slang but it's never really much of a difference.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

it looks more better

You should keep working on your proper English m8.

I use 99% proper English when I type. Very rarely will I use an abbreviation, though most typically I use 'm8', as you can see above. My thought is that if you use abbreviations too often, than it shows you can't string together simple words, and is therefore a sign of stupidity.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

You should keep working on your proper English m8.

sux wen u dunt have an edit buton and wen u r multitasking, nomesayin homie?
Sheppard007
Sheppard007
237 posts
Nomad

it looks more better

Sorry, I meant much better, but I am typing all this on my I pod and it changes the words as I go along and can get really frustrating.
indie55
indie55
608 posts
Nomad

I usually only abbreviate certain words/phrases when I'm typing things to my friends-like w/, lol, ftw-but not all the time. Normally I just type like this because it is faster for me.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

When I was about 12-13, and I used a lot of abbreviations while typing online, I actually found myself writing "u" instead of "you" with a pen, on paper. I realized what I did and changed it, though, but only after I had written "u".

Shortly after that, but not because of that, I stopped used those abbreviations altogether. Now I only use abbreviations such as "ROFL" or "BRB" or such, abbreviations that represent more than one word, and I try not to use them too much. I don't feel the need to shorten single words.

The reason why I started using proper grammar and punctuation is probably because it makes you look like you're much better at English than you actually are, even if you use the same words in the same order as without the proper punctuation. Besides, once you get used to it, it's just an extra button here and there, it doesn't really slow you down at all.

When you talk to someone online, they can't see what you look like, sound like or your handwriting. The only thing they can judge you off of is what you say, and how you say it, and how you talk is usually what makes the first impression. This is my opinion, at least. I don't really base it off of anything but personal experience, so this might not be the case for everyone.

Anyways, I got a bit off-topic, so I'll summarize it for all you lazies.

Summary: I do try to type neat all the time, mostly because once you get used to it, it doesn't really take any longer, and it'll make a better impression on the people you meet online.

bunniecorps
bunniecorps
467 posts
Nomad

I proof read most of my comments, if I think I've spelled a word wrong I will always look it up. Perhaps this makes me a nerd, but I write almost everything as if I'm going to be marked on it.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I generally type with correct grammar and spelling outside of school. Also:

Sorry, I meant much better, but I am typing all this on my I pod and it changes the words as I go along and can get really frustrating.

Before spellcheck, the most common error was spelling. The addition of spellcheck has reduced spelling errors, but it also created a high frequency of wrong word errors. This happens when you let spellcheck choose the wrong word. Therefore, spellcheck is not always reliable.
acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

On AG, I use proper English, capitalization, correct grammar and punctuation, just because it makes people take me seriously. At school or on Facebook though, I tend not to, like "omg" or "i" instead of "I". AG or on writing tests are the only two places I do proper English to be honest.

chitown
chitown
1,614 posts
Farmer

When I'm at school I tend to write with normal words and not abbreviation. If I am writing something by hand I will occasionally catch myself writing abbreviations. But with Microsoft Word there is spellcheck so everythings all good.

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

The omly abbreveation I use is lol and honestly I haven't lol'd in a while.

GhostSauce
GhostSauce
1,140 posts
Nomad

well i never use capitals and punctuation and i use spell check alot but i usestuff like wtf lol and i never capilize my i's and i only write properly when im not on tah internet i also using teh foh tah and that crap so yea.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I type as flawlessly as possible. Capitalization, punctuation and grammar is all sorted. I do use a few internetisms, but I mostly keep to this manner of typing when I am at the keyboard.

When it comes to texting, I keep spelling intact but screw the punctuation and capitalization if I'm in a hurry.

Showing 1-15 of 22