ForumsThe TavernAntivirus Discussion

16 2827
PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

I made this because just yesterday I downloaded avast! and I think it's better than any other. I did the research and it seemed better but would you argue that other antivirus programs are better? This is basically a discussion over which is the best.

• 16 Replies
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

there's already a thread like this

PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

there's already a thread like this

I checked up to page 20 and I didn't find anything. A link would be nice.
Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

[url=http://armorgames.com/community/thread/7609478/i-got-hacked-good-free-antivirus-programs]I got hacked good free antivirus programs[/url}
Here you go

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

I got hacked good free antivirus programs

Link fix
Here you go
You even posted on it.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

That isn't really a discussion, it's just for you to recommend antiviruses to the OP.

Well, I use AVG as my antivirus. I've tried several other antiviruses, but they either run slowly or don't check a lot of things.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I use AVG and norton on my computer and they both do the job they're supposed to.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. I like it because it's the full version, other "free" antiviruses don't have all the features.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

After reading several thought out reviews on the Internet, I decided to uninstall AVG and download Avast. It appears to be the best free anti-virus out there, followed by Microsoft Security Essentials.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Here is the link for the new AVG 2011 edition. :] Hope it helps.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I dunno if that was for me, but I already had the 2011 edition installed before Avast. And I'd like to mention, Firefox has been faster and smoother since I downloaded Avast, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I dunno if that was for me, but I already had the 2011 edition installed before Avast. And I'd like to mention, Firefox has been faster and smoother since I downloaded Avast, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Nah was for Plasma to look at :P

& Off-topic but GoM, have you used Chrome, if so with Avast do you think chrome would work faster? I recently swapped firefox to chrome and chrome seems to be running faster than any of my other browsers, but i do prefer firefox, so if it was possible to speed that up, could back to it.
PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

After reading several thought out reviews on the Internet, I decided to uninstall AVG and download Avast. It appears to be the best free anti-virus out there, followed by Microsoft Security Essentials.

That's exactly how I got avast too. I read the reviews on cnet and I found one that just pushed me away from installing it

Pros: It will help you learn how to fix your mistake.

Cons: I thought it was a monster, like an Alien virus inside, There is no way to shut it down, and if you try and uninstall it won't let you. I had to get a file removal tool to get rid of some of its files in programs, then system restore. wasted a day.

Plus I don't have a terribly fast computer and AVG seems to require a better computer than mine while avast seems to have no effect on my computer's performance. When avast scanned my whole computer it found 17 infected files. I'm not sure if that's much but it was helpful (one was disguised in my music). Overall I find avast as the best.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

& Off-topic but GoM, have you used Chrome, if so with Avast do you think chrome would work faster? I recently swapped firefox to chrome and chrome seems to be running faster than any of my other browsers, but i do prefer firefox, so if it was possible to speed that up, could back to it.

I'm so used to Firefox, I can't possibly change. I like all the add-ons and personas. I only use Chrome, Opera, and IE if Firefox doesn't work properly.

@Plasma:
Along with your antivirus, you should get several other things to ensure your computer is protected. Such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot. You can get many things from here.
PlasmaMan
PlasmaMan
464 posts
Nomad

@GhostOfMatrix wow! Thanks for the website. In a way it reminds me of impulse buying except you don't spend anything! I'll have to run it through my mom, she does the downloads even though I know for a fact I know more about a computer then her. Anyways thanks again but do those softwares block out ads because I dislike ads alot. Thanks again!

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I use Norton 360 for anti-virus. It will automatically scan and delete virus and spyware. It works well!

Showing 1-15 of 16