ForumsThe TavernWhich colors hurt eyes the most

41 21983
Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

I'm trying to find list of colors that hurt eyes (that's hard to look at them) and make myself a skin out of those colors, any list like that on the web

• 41 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Any neon color. Neon yellow would probably be the worst.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Fluorescent yellow. I'll prove it.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00bvFQouftvPkU/Reflective-Sheeting-Fluorescent-Yellow-.jpg

xXKashitoXx
xXKashitoXx
829 posts
Nomad

I think yellow hurts the eyes the most, but I don't know.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,270 posts
Nomad

Well, I live in this neighborhood where I always drive past this one particular house.

Nothing special about that, but they always put Christmas lights on during the holidays, and the color is a very bright blue that hurts my eyes every time I drive past it at night.

So I'd pick that.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,815 posts
Peasant

Depends on the situation. The worst color to look at will be white if there's plenty of light because of the albedo factor. There's even a disease that affects adventurers wo go up North, in the Arctic for example. They say the reflection of the sun on the endless snowfields can make you go crazy if you witness it too long.

I remember that time when I had an exam for my eyes; they were so sore the doctor had to put a solution in them that dilatated my pupils. Afterwards, I couldn't even stand to look straight up while walking. Even the white sidewalks were completely unbearable to look at so I had to walk on the grass, looking down to make it back home :P.

marcosca7
marcosca7
12 posts
Nomad

bright red / fluorescent yellow / neon green

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

bright red / fluorescent yellow / neon green

I take it you hate stoplights?

But I'll just link to this non-color too.

That was annoying! I looked at it for about a minute and started trippin!
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,030 posts
Peasant

Fluorescent yellow. I'll prove it.

I don't think it's that bad. Reminds me of bananas. I like bananas.

I don't really think any colours hurt your eyes themselves, though I'm sure that some ways of producing those colours could, like the Christmas decorations someone mentioned. Shapes, however, can be really freaky to look at, as Graham demonstrated.

Anyways, it's only logical that the more light that enters your eyes, the more it'd hurt, and by that logic, the colour that is the worst to look at should be white.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Fluorescent Greeeeen too.

My room is painted Limeade, so I'm used to it. [the one in the link isn't my room, but it's roughly the same color walls]
Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

Fluorescent Greeeeen too.

But I'll just link to this non-color too.

Holly ****, need to bookmark that

------------------
BTW I made it [red][blue]
Its soo bad it even flickers lol (lok at the six'th one)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Dithering_example_red_blue.png
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,030 posts
Peasant

TBH, I think the fifth was more annoying than the sixth, but I don't think neither was all that painful to look at.

BTW, since we're on the theme of optical illusions, can you see the numbers in this picture?

http://guybingley.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/capture_1.jpg

I found it while Googling &quotictures that hurt your eyes" >_>

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

BTW, since we're on the theme of optical illusions, can you see the numbers in this picture?

*the relevant picture*

I see the numbers 0-5, but the 6 is cut off.
snowguy13
snowguy13
2,159 posts
Nomad

Any bright or neon version of a typical color. Neon green, yellow, pink especially. Did you know yellow has been proven to make people more irritable, and green more calm?

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,321 posts
Treasurer

Did you know yellow has been proven to make people more irritable, and green more calm?

I didn't know that before it was posted. Speaking of yellow and green, my favorite color is green and my original armatar was the shield with a green background. As for yellow, there is no such thing as a shield with a yellow background. If you think I'm wrong, you should look at this armatar:

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Patrick2011b/Armatars/OrangeArmatar.png

I think the background color is orange, but somebody once thought the background color was yellow.
Showing 1-15 of 41