ForumsGames[necro]better gameplay not better graphics

93 20913
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

now when somwbody makes a good fun game people look at the graphics i dont like that they say if it isnt good graphica its crap what happend to good gameplay i want to stop focusing on graphics and get to the gameplay

• 93 Replies
Larkary
Larkary
32 posts
Nomad

Games really do not need awesome graphics to be great, however awesome graphics really boost the game. Compare Oblivion to Morrowind real quick(I know Oblivion is the next of series to Morrowind, but thats not the point). Morrowind is awesome and fun to play, however you plug in Oblivion and your blown away by the graphics and how awesome it is to play you can't help but wonder if graphics do play into how good a game is. Some games look better more retro however. My overall point was that graphics can make a game better however they don't make the game.

loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

I rather eat the food that tastes good and looks horrible, then eat the food that looks good, but tastes disgusting. Same thing with games.

jak10002
jak10002
2 posts
Nomad

games need a balance between gameplay and looks

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

I rather eat the food that tastes good and looks horrible, then eat the food that looks good

but youd try the nice looking food first becuase its attracting that is what games do so what you have to do is go and ask the players that have played it or if your friends have it id say you ask if you could play it to make sure
SierraCastaway
SierraCastaway
130 posts
Nomad

Graphics make a game unique, and graphics can help give you a better idea of the game. Gameplay is important.
but, I prefer great grahpics over good gameplay.

Graphics > Gameplay

SierraCastaway
SierraCastaway
130 posts
Nomad

I rather eat the food that tastes good and looks horrible, then eat the food that looks good, but tastes disgusting. Same thing with games.

Good point, but games with good graphics attract more people than those with better gameplay.
bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

Graphics > Gameplay

i dont know how you got to this it dosent make sense why would you take graphics over gameplay what has the world become

but games with good graphics attract more people than those with better gameplay.

and then

but youd try the nice looking food first becuase its attracting that is what games do

arent they kind the same so i dont think you should have pretty much wrote the same thing
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Good point, but games with good graphics attract more people than those with better gameplay.

That's not the point. It's false advertising, if your logic is true. Gamers are here to play games, not watch cinematics with special effects.
muffinman08
muffinman08
524 posts
Nomad

Good point, but games with good graphics attract more people than those with better gameplay

that may be true, but a good looking game withought substance cant maintain a fanbase
again diablo 2 still has thousands of people playing it and its graphics are bad, even for 2001 when it came out
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Graphics make a game unique, and graphics can help give you a better idea of the game. Gameplay is important.
but, I prefer great grahpics over good gameplay.

No

That's not the point. It's false advertising, if your logic is true. Gamers are here to play games, not watch cinematics with special effects.

And no again, in my modest opinion.

See, this debate can never end because the choice at hand is way too situational. I'd strongly urge you both to go read my comment on the last page to have the general idea of my humble opinion. See, I disagree with first aformentionned statement because A: What Frank said is very true, gamers come to play games, not look at flashy effects, and B: As in life, something doesn't have to be beautiful to be convenient, or rather amusing here.

However, I'm also disagreeing with the latter statement, because a game's graphics can be the reason - or part of it at least - why the game is enjoyable; it is just not a plentiful case, that's all.I always use the same game to illustrate my PoV; Shadow of the Colossus. Would it have been made with closed area needing loadings and slightly less majestic camera work, it wouldn't even be half the game it is by standing on its gameplay alone.

Some example of games combining magnificent graphics and gameplay, thusly confering an unbelievable gaming experience, would be titles like Baten Kaitos, Metroid Prime, Zelda OoT, Bayonetta, Resonance of Fate, etc, etc... All games with sublime graphics considering their years of release.

In conclusion, a game can almost stand on its graphics alone and still be good, but the occasion is rare enough that we rather reach for innovative and amusing gameplay. After all, a gamer's always satisfied by a rewarding gameplay experience even if the graphics aren't that great. When the chance arises that a game combines both, then why bother seeking what makes the heart of the game's experience; just enjoy it.

I go for gameplay, naming pokemon and Nis games for example, however, I'm not eluding the possibility that graphics can affect a video game in such a way as to make it enjoyable despite regular gameplay.

10/4

PsychoIncarnate
PsychoIncarnate
1,037 posts
Nomad

How are graphics better than gameplay?

It's the people that want better graphics and don't care about gameplay that have the game designers in this day and age churning out crap

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

How are graphics better than gameplay?
It's the people that want better graphics and don't care about gameplay that have the game designers in this day and age churning out crap

Truthfully, a game that would be made only to look good would be disgusting; what I'm saying is that in rare occurences, graphics can contribute as much as gameplay to a game's feel (SoC,SoC, and again SoC).

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

I mainly play video games on the PlayStation 2 because the games available for it appeal to me more than video games on the newer consoles.

i agree ps3 games dont look very good the only ones i might play are metal gear solid 4 red dead redemtion and gta 4
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

i agree ps3 games dont look very good the only ones i might play are metal gear solid 4 red dead redemtion and gta 4

Clearly you've not looked enough, though I'll admit the Ps2 was a wonderful achievement; I still play mine actively. It seems to me that the only problem with newer generations is ambition. Developpers rely on graphics rather than pushing themselves to elaborate neat storylines and gameplay; back in the days of the Ps2, games didn't look as good, so they had to work themselves out by constructing multi-staged games with strong, engrossing concepts, i.e. Xenosaga, Hack, games with more than one Cd like Baten Kaitos, FF7, etc, etc...

bazz1
bazz1
285 posts
Peasant

maybe i havent looked enough well mostly i dont want to waste money and buy something i dont play so im too scared to buy one and i think were going of topic so if we could please go to the main and secondary topic (the one about games being like reeal life)

Showing 61-75 of 93